Great neighbours

We often read of neighbour disputes on the forum but not many good neighbour stories..

Since we've moved into a leafy suburb we've been amazed at how friendly and generous the neighbours are. Various neighbours have planned a BBQ, given vouchers for the tip, loaned a chainsaw, taken me to bunnings in a ute to pick up gyprock, and I've lost count of all the people who've come over to introduce themselves and chat while I've been gardening..

Is this normal :confused: or have I moved into pleasantville :)

It is normal in our street. We have street gatherings. My hubby has played a huge part in bringing the street together. When he stopped working full time (aged 50) he would get bored and mow the footpaths all the way down the street. He just cannot help himself but be friendly. Perhaps it comes from growing up in the country.

He has just built a new chicken hotel for neighbours six houses away (The Chicken Mahal). Every three months or so all the men in our street get together "Merry Men of M......" for drinks, and the wives have started doing the same.

I like the feeling of community and think it is a big plus in these times where often people don't even know the names of their neighbours.

My hubby has played a huge part in bringing the street together. When he stopped working full time (aged 50) he would get bored and mow the footpaths all the way down the street. He just cannot help himself but be friendly. Perhaps it comes from growing up in the country.
To be honest, it sounds like he's just bored now that he's semi-retired.

I live in a leafy suburb and my neighbours are tosspots (or at least one is- the other I never see). That's why I'm moving. Thinking of renting my current house to Correctional services as a half way house or a few of my African clients on the proviso they cook goat in an open pit at least once a week.

We've got good neighbours.

Like Wylie's hub we have a few retirees, and when my front lawn got a bit too long, one of them came and mowed it for me (we do have the wildest looking garden).

The other week, YV water (our water suppliers) came and dug up our front rockery and driveway to do sewer repairs while we were out at work and didn't get home until late at night.

Neighbours on all sides were apparenly camped out during the day "supervising" the work, and had a detailed report for us when we went out to survey the damage next morning.

The Y-man

If I walk the dogs during the 'non peak' period our usual walk takes us about 45 mins. If I walk them during the 'peak' period the walk time usually doubles as every man, woman and dog want to stop for a chat.

It's nice though as I came from a neighbourhood where if you were walking past someone instead of saying 'hi' they would look the other way so it's good to have that community spirit there.

I live in a leafy suburb and my neighbours are tosspots (or at least one is- the other I never see). That's why I'm moving. Thinking of renting my current house to Correctional services as a half way house or a few of my African clients on the proviso they cook goat in an open pit at least once a week.

Farout LOL.

Anyhow moved to a sub and honestly couldn't wish for better neighbors.

Most of our neighbours are good - we have the kind of relationship with them where we pull their bin in for them on rubbish day, if we get home before they do (and they do the same for us).

One set of neighbours are painful - they have dogs which bark, and they're just generally inconsiderate with respect to noise. He's a mechanic, and does shift work, so when he has a cash job he does at home, he can be revving the engine and dropping tools from a great height at 10pm at night. Their single redeeming feature is that they have a lovely little cat who we have basically adopted. She spends all her time with us, we feed her and have taken her to the vet etc, and she is just adorable :p

Hi Jen PFR,

I do the same thing re:bins for the neighbors etc.

What is it though,you somewhat adopt a cat from a neighbor,take it to a vet yet you put up with his crap @ 10pm?Sorry it doesn't compute!

Or are you ok with that?

Btw my neighbor 3 doors down had 5 chickens in the yard in my yard today,,,My dog loves chicken btw and was eyeing them off today in the yard...Before i got my dog,1 of there chickens followed me in the backyard..I thought sweet,i need a lawn mower...Suffice to say he escaped in 2 days,but 5 chooks in my backyard today,wow the mind boggles...Eg:Free range Eggs,an odd chook on the bbq,free range,you know fregon friggin hell!

I live in a quiet cul-de-sac, know immediate neighbours. No real issues, no yappy dogs, only 1 rental in street and they look after their lawns and gardens better than I do haha

My culdesac has been much more peaceful since the bible-bashers moved out 24 years ago. Prior to that they got into fights with everyone.

Now all you hear is the occasional dog upset that its owners have gone away for the weekend and left it alone. So another family will play with it until its owners get home.

... mow the footpaths all the way down the street. He just cannot help himself but be friendly. Perhaps it comes from growing up in the country.

He has just built a new chicken hotel for neighbours six houses away (The Chicken Mahal). Every three months or so all the men in our street get together "Merry Men of M......" for drinks, and the wives have started doing the same.

I like the feeling of community and think it is a big plus in these times where often people don't even know the names of their neighbours.

What a lovely person. Yes, I also think country people are very warm and open.

I've moved around a fair bit and had really good and really bad. I wish there was a way to know what they are like before you purchase! One of my favourite old neighbours from 12 years ago is in her mid-eighties. She's full of life and treated my family and pets like her own. Even her daughter and granddaughter treated us like family. People like this really made my life happier while all of my family live in another state. There is some really lovely people around!

Is this normal :confused: or have I moved into pleasantville :)

It's a great environment to be in. We moved into our current home around 2 years ago and have built good relationships with all our neighbours. It's got that nice community feel to it - everyone helps each other out and we all stop to chat and invite each other around for coffee/drinks.

I don't know if it's normal - I haven't experienced this sort of pleasantville anywhere else I've lived.

Cheers

Jamie

It's a great environment to be in. We moved into our current home around 2 years ago and have built good relationships with all our neighbours. It's got that nice community feel to it - everyone helps each other out and we all stop to chat and invite each other around for coffee/drinks.

I don't know if it's normal - I haven't experienced this sort of pleasantville anywhere else I've lived.

Cheers

Jamie

Most of Canberra's neighbourhoods are like this. It was even more so 20 years ago--I never bothered locking my door then. I have noticed that there is less of it now that our population is growing.

Most of Canberra's neighbourhoods are like this. It was even more so 20 years ago--I never bothered locking my door then. I have noticed that there is less of it now that our population is growing.

Not in my experience and I've lived here nearly 40 years in lots of different areas...none of them particularly 'leafy' though. I've had some absolutely shocking neighbours.

My current neighbourhood is nice - its quiet and peaceful, but no one talks to each other (we do get a casual hi as people walk past). I dont even know one of my immediate next door neighbours name and would be unlikely to recognise him at the shop - he's been there about 6 years.

A few years ago a new neighbour invited everyone to a street xmas party - only us and another neighbour turned up.

I think the areas I have lived in have had a younger demographic and people are just busy.

My dad used to live in the next suburb and his neighbours have become life long friends and look out for each other.... older demographic.

Nemo, probably depends on where you are. We have had mostly good. Currently we have nice neighbours. At one point (in Griffith mind you) we had a brothel on one side [some of the comings and goings were interesting] and a drug dealer on the other [lots of different comings and goings there] and behind us two grumpies who would come out to yell at workers cutting down the overhanging branches on the nature strip trees. The brothel was the best of the three neighbours, lol.

Back