Great neighbours

To be honest, it sounds like he's just bored now that he's semi-retired.

Initially, he did get a bit bored. But not these days. Since he "retired" five years ago, he did a three month stint working in the same industry, and another nine month gig. That leaves four years of "not working". Out of those four years, we have renovated (or had a major part in helping to renovate) four houses.

I don't know how hubby had time to work and we are finally getting things done in our own house that have needed doing for years.

The contents of our cupboards are spread over the living room. New cupboard doors go in tomorrow and new carpets on Tuesday. I've been painting the walls where we ripped out the old cupboards yesterday. There is always "something" to do.

We are in the throes of having four townhouses drawn up. We may build them or I guess we may sell the block with DA (if we can get approval). If we do go ahead and get them built we may project manage, but even if we pay someone to do this, we will be busy with this project.

We've just completely gutted and renovated a house for our middle son, and now helping to do the same for the oldest son. Before he sold and moved back in with us, we helped him finish off his house in order to sell it.

Bored... don't think so :eek: We've had the keys to a relative's beach house for three weeks, but haven't had time to get there.

Last edited:
Adelaide I only spoke to my neighbours on one side. Canberra, I spoke to the neighbours on one side (and they bought two dogs after looking after mine for 4 hours after he escaped); 2nd Canberra place I spoke to my neighbour on one side (and one over the back); here in Newcastle we know our two fence neighbours, and the two guys across the road. It's a real family vibe, Pleasantville for sure, which is amazing as only 2 own their home, the rest of us rent.

We are in a 9 property cul-de-sac court...

3 holiday houses, a vacant block next door, and the 3 permanents - we hardly ever see; other than the cursory "Hi!", smile and wave, occasional short chat across the driveways.

Perfect.

I live in a leafy suburb and my neighbours are tosspots (or at least one is- the other I never see). That's why I'm moving. Thinking of renting my current house to Correctional services as a half way house or a few of my African clients on the proviso they cook goat in an open pit at least once a week.

For many years was all good in our leafy suburb, until recently when the neighbours from hell moved in 6 months ago.

Tossers, his an ex overweight boozy football player, she is a wannabe stockbroker who continually drops names.

Now we are dealing with their ongoing parties every night of the week. Had an idea/brainwave the other day, blast them with full on heavy metal music, that should change the atmosphere, what do you reckon?? any other suggestions;)

Will have new neighbours soon, both work away in mining and having a chat with him in his CFMEU shirt he advised they like parties on their R&R

Will see how it goes, it's all about balance - we have noisy kids (is it just us or do little sisters fight with each other a lot) :confused:

For many years was all good in our leafy suburb, until recently when the neighbours from hell moved in 6 months ago.

Tossers, his an ex overweight boozy football player, she is a wannabe stockbroker who continually drops names.

Now we are dealing with their ongoing parties every night of the week. Had an idea/brainwave the other day, blast them with full on heavy metal music, that should change the atmosphere, what do you reckon?? any other suggestions;)

I suppose you gotta find their weak point. If they are renters for example, I would track down the owners and ring everytime a party runs past 10pm- no matter what the hour. I wouldn't bother with the managing agent- just make it problem transference. Also call the cops.

Now if they own the place then its a bit harder to dislodge them. Start the leafblower up at 8am whilst they are still hungover or sleeping. I was thinking of getting a trailbike to annoy people at odd hours as well .

I'm not for illegal activities such as the false pizza order, the 1 ton of fertilizer delivered on the drive way or damaging any property-weedkiller on the lawn, punctured tyres etc.

Maybe ring her at work and complain about it to her.

In the end- if they are insects cocooned in their house you may be better just to look elsewhere like I did. I found a better house for not much more than my current one will fetch when sold (if I don't keep it) and am kicking myself for not moving years ago.

My dad used to live in the next suburb and his neighbours have become life long friends and look out for each other.... older demographic.
Yep - that's where I think my suburb benefits. It's Downer - so lots of old timers :) As soon as we moved in we had neighbours at the door inviting us over.

Cheers

Jamie

Loud classical music first thing in the morning, when the noise restrictions are lifted.

Grinding or cutting metal at 7am weekdays and Saturdays and set off your car alarms an hour after they go to bed. This works best when all the neighbours are in on it otherwise they will hate you too.

Loud classical music first thing in the morning, when the noise restrictions are lifted.

That's what I was going to say. Had an elderly evil neighbour who did that to us. She'd really crank it up on special occasions, Xmas, night before our wedding, etc. than she'd throw her earplugs on our driveway just to rub it in. We couldn't do much to stop her as she had mental health issues and owned her home.

As I was driving out to work the other morning, noticed the wheelie bin had fallen over after the rubbish truck emptied it. As we were rushing off, and it was just on our nature strip, didn't give it much thought.

Got home that night, and the bin had been properly stood up and facing the right way :)

There was another time when we got back home really late one night (on bin day) and left the bins out intending to put them away in the morning. Got up (late) in the morning, wandered out about lunchtime - bins were already brought in and neatly parked at the side of our driveway......... :eek:

The Y-man

Back