Greater demand for 4 x 2's than 3 x 1's?

I have spoken to several PM's before buy / building my IP's and I keep getting the same response - there is greater demand for 4 x 2's than 3 x 1's.

Could it be this is because investors tend to favour 3 x 1's generally for purchase price and rent yield (in some cases), and even with the reduced number of prospective tennant looking for 4 x 2's there is such a shortage that demand is higher? :confused:

Or have these PM's just got it wrong? :D

Regards

Keen

G'day keen

The smallest places I look at are 2bedroom, most people I speak with like to have a junk room, or they have a kid or they are sharing with someone else.

I really like the townhouses, 2 or 3 bedroom, you are doubling the population in the area. Yet still giving them some outdoor space and plenty of house.

The rent we get for a large 2bedroom unit is almost the same as that for a 3 bedroom house. So do the math and they look good.

Cheers
quoll

Keen said:
I have spoken to several PM's before buy / building my IP's and I keep getting the same response - there is greater demand for 4 x 2's than 3 x 1's.

Which sort of areas were you looking in?

I've got a similar response.

In regional WA (and probably most other areas) the 3x1 house was the dominant house type, whether private or commission-built.

4x2 family homes in 'good' areas seem to be most in demand according to PMs.

I suspect it is that whereas 4x2 project homes are very common in newer Perth suburbs, because regional cities grew slower (Mandurah/Rockingham being exceptions), 4x2 houses are less common and 3/1 asbestos or brick predominate.

Middle-class people in country towns (eg govt employees and tradesmen with families) now want Perth-standard homes. This means 4x2/brick/air conditioned/double garage etc.

When talking to a REA in the western suburbs of Melbourne, I got a similar answer. The area I was visiting comprises mainly 3x1 brick houses built in the 70s. Compared to the newer 'project home' sandbelt areas further out, houses were generally older and smaller, but proximity to the CBD, local facilities and transport were generally better.

His thinking was that a 4x2 (or at least 4x1) in an established suburb is likely to be a good renter as it combined size and convenience. Though the rents didn't seem much different, the to let ads showed that they were much scarcer than 3x1s.

Having said that, my IPs are either 2 or 3 br. In one area I saw little price difference between 1 & 3 br and can't understand why people bought 1br (maybe the newer construction date, included furniture and supposedly higher rental yield got them in). 2br are also common but as the area has high rents, I though a 3br would appeal to more people (eg 2 people sharing or a couple).

Quoll, why would townhouses be preferable to semi-detached/duplexes? Townhouses may be (on average) newer, but I like the extra land component with duplexes. Also with townhouses you might have a body corporate and less flexibility re renovating. But both are inferior to detached if you plan on doing something with the land later on.

Rgds, Peter

Spiderman,

I have one in Merriwa, one in Bunbury and am now looking in the Kwinana / Rockingham area for no.3. So thats a large spread.

Quoll I don't understand you question to me.

Regards

Keen

I think I was getting confused too, Quoll.

I was reading "3 x 1 bedroom units" or "4 x 2 bedroom units" and couldn't understand.

All clearer now. Funny how one's brain can interpret the same words differently.

Regards,

Kenny

Kenny said:
I think I was getting confused too, Quoll.

I was reading "3 x 1 bedroom units" or "4 x 2 bedroom units" and couldn't understand.

All clearer now. Funny how one's brain can interpret the same words differently.

Regards,

Kenny
Thanks Kenny

I glad others where reading and interpreting the same way I was.

I've got a 5 bedroom house 2 bathrooms $210wk and it rents out easily but don't get much more than we get for a 3 bedroom 1 bathroom house $180 which isn't much more than a big 2 bedroom unit $170.

The block with the 2 big 2 bedroom units is doing a lot better than the 5 bedroom house, capital gain has been better on the house.

Cheers
quoll

Back