Greens Lost control of the Senate

Well the good news out of election night, the greens will loose control of the senate.

From
http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2013/results/senate/

Liberal/National Party 16 17 33
Australian Labor Party 13 12 25
Australian Greens 6 4 10
Democratic Labour Party 1 0 1
Others 0 7 7

So a combined labour green vote of 35 votes will not be sufficient to block legislation.

Two of the micro parties:
Liberal Democratic Party and Australian Motoring Enthusiasts Party are pro-less regulation, less government interference etc.

Nick XENOPHON has stated that he is prepared to get rid of penalty rates for small businesses (hopefully he can be convinced to increase this to medium sized businesses as well).

Family first worked well with liberal before, so should be able to work well again.

Interesting times ahead, but those pesky greens are gone from dictating Australian politics.

Overall good result for Australia

Hooray :D

It's still 35 labor + greens vs 33 liberal though. So good legislation only passes if the minorities agree with it?

I am pretty sure Labor will be able to get at least 1 out of the 7 "others" to come on their side.

Unfortunately, Australia is among a select number of apathetic countries where people are happy to have the same party run both houses of parliament. Really drone-like I must say. Happy to trade democracy for some bizarre perceived notion of "stability" which really means absolutely nothing :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am pretty sure Labor will be able to get at least 1 out of the 7 "others" to come on their side.

Unfortunately, Australia is among a select number of apathetic countries where people are happy to have the same party run both houses of parliament. Really drone-like I must say. Happy to trade democracy for some bizarre perceived notion of "stability" which really means absolutely nothing :rolleyes:

Australians follow politics like they follow sports.

Blindly and with a herd mentality. One side good one side bad. Nothing in the middle. No recognition of good policies from the enemy. Just blindly cheering on.

Goes for all parties at every level.

Not drone like at all. I believe strongly in the policies of a party and want them to proceed through the Senate.

I dont want a situation where we have to compromise with people who have beliefs far removed from reality just to get legislation through.

It is very drone like. There is no way that such a setup would ever happen in most of Europe, for example. Debate and compromise are essential to democracy. Most people in Australia did not vote for the Liberal Party as their first preference in either the upper or lower house.

There is no way that such a setup would ever happen in most of Europe, for example. Debate and compromise are essential to democracy. Most people in Australia did not vote for the Liberal Party as their first preference in either the upper or lower house.

The European system varies markedly from the Australian preferential system, too many small interest groups causing a major leading party to form a coalition with several fruitloops in order to gain control/get some stability.

My local member got a very strong primary vote, the second runners were green/labor so their preferences didn't go his way too quickly.

property related people running -. Jamie McIntyre the spuriker - way short.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very drone like. There is no way that such a setup would ever happen in most of Europe, for example. Debate and compromise are essential to democracy. Most people in Australia did not vote for the Liberal Party as their first preference in either the upper or lower house.

Lol, drone like to want your preferred party to have their policies passed:rolleyes:

To the OP, yes the decimation of the Green vote was a stunning rejection of their role over the last period - a quarter of their support gone:) and maybe the end of Sarah HY. A good night indeed.

Our Australian politics is way way way better than most places in the world. We really have 'first world problems'.

Back