Growing up poor

What makes you think you can play God in deciding who has a right to have children?
As long as you're happy to shell out more and more of your hard earned each and every year to entrenched generational welfare recipients - who reciprocate themselves, cost the society a fortune in welfare, and medical costs (because as a group they are the most unhealthy), imprisonment costs (because as a group they are the most likely to be involved in criminal activity)....then we'll all let it go.

In fact; let's give 'em cash to have more.

It also means lower standards. Sadly, I realise that universities can never return to being the elitist institutions that they once were and this is a pity.
We had an imported doctor in the ICU when I worked there who was washing pic lines under the hot tape to re-use them. :eek:

Fortunately the NUM saw it in time.

Most people have the intelligence to go to uni if they try. Some of the courses are pathetically easy.

'Going to uni' isn't indicative of intelligence as it might have been 30-40 years ago. Anyone with an ATAR of over 50 can get into university. And that is an awful score - you could get higher if you didn't even go to the exam. Even law, a formerly prestigious course, is now available to many universities outside the traditional Melbourne/Monash law schools (I count at least 6 in Victoria).

'Going to uni' isn't indicative of intelligence as it might have been 30-40 years ago. Anyone with an ATAR of over 50 can get into university. And that is an awful score - you could get higher if you didn't even go to the exam. Even law, a formerly prestigious course, is now available to many universities outside the traditional Melbourne/Monash law schools (I count at least 6 in Victoria).

There's even a few courses where the minimum entry is below 50.
I didn't do HSC or any of those (American school = SAT and ACT exams), but wouldn't below 50 mean you didn't pass? :eek: Isn't teaching one of the ones getting towards the bottom?

Also I'll apologise if I missed it but didn't China only state that literacy and numeracy rather than a High IQ for having children? Big difference between testing for a year 10 level of literacy and numeracy and having a high IQ.

My husbnad's two sisters both received Tertiary Entrance Scores higher than mine, and mine was high enough to get into Law at UQ if I wanted to do that. This was in 1977. His older sister returned to high school and did Senior the same year as his younger sis and myself.

None of us attended a Uni in Brisbane, it was impossible for our sisters to travel across town from where they lived to attend. In those days, there was no internet and no external classes that I am aware of. (My mum paid for me to board in Toowoomba and I went there).

The Labor Govt had free Uni fees, but these girls came from such a poor family that there was no way they could afford the other costs of going to Uni - textbooks, public transport or cars or the cost of accommodation anywhere close to the Unis. They have both moved on to live wonderful lives a squillion times more affluent than their parents lived. His brothers have also become high income earners in their own rights and none of them completed year ten. Their mother is an amazing woman, years ahead of her time who instilled good values into her children. Her widow's pension was nowhere near the generous benefits given out these days.

Last edited:
On that basis, I suggest that people who make disparaging remarks about other people on the basis of their skin colour, hair colour, eye colour be banned from having children, so they can't pass their meanness onto their kids, then perhaps the practice will die out.

I'm sorry for making the comment - I will delete it. It was a lighthearted way of pointing out how ridiculous it is for others to dictate who can have children.

Thank you, I appreciate it.
It really is a problem, somehow it's okay to make redheads feel bad about how they are, kids get these ideas from their parents and tv, and because it's not really racial prejudice it is allowed to continue. It's not completely good-natured, there is generally an undercurrent of meanness. I would never dream of saying such things about a person of Asian or Aboriginal or Indian descent, or someone with a disability or disfigurement.
My son is a great kid, we love his red hair, he gets it from his Granddad (and genetically he must also get it from someone on his Dad's side but we can't quite work that out!). I hope that one day he will love it as much as we do, in spite of comments like those above, we just need to make him strong enough to understand its not about him, sometimes people are just thoughtless and mean.

People have been teasing blondes for as long as I can remember - sometimes you just have to laugh.

I'm a blonde (I think :p)

Very true. These days, any skank can become a doctor or lawyer. And this is no good because of oversupply in these professions. For a very long time, there were only three universities in NSW producing doctors. Now there are eight. The population has not grown in such a way to require such supply. Oversupply means lower remuneration. It also means lower standards. Sadly, I realise that universities can never return to being the elitist institutions that they once were and this is a pity.

Definately not the case with doctors in SA.

Infact I think most are of a higher calibre than before - more switched on.

BV I'm exposed to many of the overseas trained doctors too.

To me a good one is one that admits to not knowing something ;).

Interestingly the Indians that don't know everything are very good like this, and have thanked me and given me chocolates and cake for my help, and I'm female.

I once had another nationality that wouldn't communicate or look me in the eye when I alerted him to a serious life/death situation (used his arm to swing at me and indicate for me to go away :eek:).

I think others were onto him, but reported him anyway and never saw him after that.

Have a think about attitudes towards blondes and attitudes towards redheads in the community and in the media, compare and contrast, then you'll hopefully see what I'm talking about.
Anyway, I'm a blonde too, and don't experience anything like the comments my son has. We even had a customs officer at the airport think it was okay to make fun of him very loudly while we were queuing for security screening. Hilarious.

People have been teasing blondes for as long as I can remember - sometimes you just have to laugh.

I'm a blonde (I think :p)

I thought you might be :D.

Oops... I'm blonde too (sometimes go a sandy colour - as in, when I need to use my brain :p)

There's even a few courses where the minimum entry is below 50.
I didn't do HSC or any of those (American school = SAT and ACT exams), but wouldn't below 50 mean you didn't pass? :eek: Isn't teaching one of the ones getting towards the bottom?

Also I'll apologise if I missed it but didn't China only state that literacy and numeracy rather than a High IQ for having children? Big difference between testing for a year 10 level of literacy and numeracy and having a high IQ.

Very perceptive. Basic numeracy and literacy are essential for meaningful interaction with society whereas IQ levels and uni education are not. A lot of the prison population lack basic reading/writing skills and these are not the best types to reproduce.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

I don't appreciate it at all. It's a farce. Making someone feel guilty over your hyper-sensitive "issue"....and debase them enough to extract an apology out of them is disgraceful. Get over yourself.

It really is a problem

Rubbish - it is not....except if you choose to make it a problem, which you have.

we just need to make him strong enough

Herein lies the problem.....with your soft lettuce leaf approach, you've got no chance of producing a robust well round adult who can take a few knocks and just get on with life.

Drama queens.....the place is riddled with 'em.

Definately not the case with doctors in SA.

Infact I think most are of a higher calibre than before - more switched on.

BV I'm exposed to many of the overseas trained doctors too.

To me a good one is one that admits to not knowing something ;).

Interestingly the Indians that don't know everything are very good like this, and have thanked me and given me chocolates and cake for my help, and I'm female.

I once had another nationality that wouldn't communicate or look me in the eye when I alerted him to a serious life/death situation (used his arm to swing at me and indicate for me to go away :eek:).

I think others were onto him, but reported him anyway and never saw him after that.

Generally, the standards of entry into medical school have dropped around Australia. Previously, it used to be based purely on Year 12 final exam scores. In the late 80s, early 90s, one had to get 99.45 out of 100 (TER) to get entry into uni of sydney medical school. Generally, this meant that you had to be in the top 0.5% of all year 12 students in that year.

These days, medical school is generally a post-grad degree based on interview and some funny IQ test. So even plumbers are getting into med school these days.

This thread has gone racist, sexist, elitist, and even rangist. Now it's started to get personal. Time to shut it down.

Back