Growth - What do you look for when investing for CG?

You mean like the free Melbourne analsysis he did and shared a short while ago?

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84115

Jake....don't mean to be rude, but shouldn't you, as buyers advocate, know exactly what to look when buying for growth ? I'm looking for my first IP and am considering using a buyers agent as I'm time poor, and the number one question i would expect them to answer is the very question you post...I gotta tell you, you scared the **** out of me and now am seriously thinking it twice before paying over 10k to someone who is supposed to know the market inside out but is asking fundamental questions in a users forum.

Hi Rixter

Some great points here, many thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I am interested in how you investigate the big multi-nationals and their next moves etc. Do you regularly review their websites for new openings or are there other ways you research them?

Looking at the Bunnings website for new stores - http://www.bunnings.com.au/discover-our-stores_new-store-openings.aspx , Goulburn has been open for 6 months or so (I am not sure about the other stores) - would you not be looking for where the multi-nationals are investigating rather than where they have opened, or if you see that one of the multi-nationals have opened a store in an area, would you further investigate that area??

Check out their websites, city councils, newspapers, chatting to locals & business's in area - networking generally looking to identify & further investigate areas where they are currently setting up shop or are planning to set up shop in the near future.

I hope this helps.

Check out their websites, city councils, newspapers, chatting to locals & business's in area - networking generally looking to identify & further investigate areas where they are currently setting up shop or are planning to set up shop in the near future.

I hope this helps.

Many thanks Rick,

You monitor the council website for possible DA's? Do you find that the locals and other businesses become aware of these multi-nationals setting up prior to them 'turning the first sod'? Pounding the pavement is something I need to do a lot more of as part of my DD.....

Appreciate your advice here.

Many thanks Rick,

You monitor the council website for possible DA's? Do you find that the locals and other businesses become aware of these multi-nationals setting up prior to them 'turning the first sod'? Pounding the pavement is something I need to do a lot more of as part of my DD.....

Appreciate your advice here.

Its amazing what you can glean from chatting to locals/business's in areas.
State & Local Government website planning depts. Here's a killer link for you - enjoy!

The answer depends on your investment strategy... eg some people focus on buying big plots of land and consolidating them so what they would look for could be different to people who hold individual properties etc. Lately the focus has been on:

- Future government investment in to area;
- Future private investment in to area (more does not mean good though if people build rubbish);
- Recent performance of surrounding areas;
- Future demographic trends (ie more working class or more middle class?);
- How difficult it is to phase out the old demographics if they are undesirable;
- Accessibility to infrastructure (universities, hospitals, public transport);
- Proximity to employment or future employment;
- How tightly held the area is (some desirable areas have a lot of stock and prices don't move);
- Mortgage stress in area
- Actual desirability of the pocket within that area

Land size. When things are ticking along slowly there is no great difference. During/after a boom the bigger land size properties snowball.

Interesting. I'm more of a supply and demand investor rather than land appreciator; what kind of land sizes are we talking about here INVSTOR?

What are your thoughts about land size vs. location?

I really think it is a no brainer if you are purchasing State housing properties earmarked for rezoning, close to city and considerly cheaper than surrounding areas/suburbs its got to be a winner.

I don't really have a timeframe, I expect rezoning to be in place in 18 month - 2 years, the properties are pretty much looking after themselves so I will just see what I have in the pipeline at that time. If I did start developing I would commence on building at the rear of the first property I purchased and then access the equity and move on from here.

Cheers, MTR

I can see the merits of this strategy, I always wonder though how long does it take for an area with a "reputation" take to become desirable enough to outperform??

Jake....don't mean to be rude, but shouldn't you, as buyers advocate, know exactly what to look when buying for growth ? I'm looking for my first IP and am considering using a buyers agent as I'm time poor, and the number one question i would expect them to answer is the very question you post...I gotta tell you, you scared the **** out of me and now am seriously thinking it twice before paying over 10k to someone who is supposed to know the market inside out but is asking fundamental questions in a users forum.

You raise a good point arruga and the answer to your first question is yes, I am confident in my ability to achieve the best CG for clients as I operate within a very strong and rigorous purchasing model that has stood the test of time.

With that disclosed it's also important for my development to adhere to the philosophy "a rolling stone gathers no moss" and as such I constantly seek methods and opinions from all avenues, always.

I am very grateful for the knowledge that other professionals, investors and newbies bring to the table!

A good BA is never too full of himself to learn BUT I took his post to be what it was, which was to find out what others look for. This generates good discussion and can give other members ideas to look for themselves.

When you choose to use a BA you will also need to know what you want - i.e. something safe, something for redevelopment, something for renovation, something for CG etc etc. Based on your profile they can then show you matching properties and give you advice.
But there job is not work out your strategy nor your risk profile.
Jake is good at his job - he is who I would choose to use in Melbourne.

This is true and I appreciate the kind words too westminster :)

Hi Jake

You post a good question, what is your criteria for investing in CG when looking for properties as a buyers advocate??

Thanks Chris,

It's quite a long process but the perhaps it's best to to say, start with a wide scope and zoom in.

I look at Australia > then State > then Region > City > Suburb > Street > Property and so on.

In the first instance zoom in by looking at 30 year median price growth, then 10 years and then 12 months. Then compare them with forecasts for 5 and 8 years.

Once the stand outs are shortlisted, whether they be exceptional long term growth suburbs, or huge spikes in the shorter term, or excellent predictions, then try to understand as much as possible about why that area has acted in the way the stats show.

It helps to look at the larger economic, demographic, and geographic issues first such as population growth, gdp production growth, gentrification, culture change, proximity to desirable geographic features etc...

Areas can be culled at this macro stage if they do not show promise...

Once the areas that aren't growing economically have been culled one can then compare the areas that are growing.

When the areas have been prioritized you can then work down into each suburb as they have their own micro situation too.

I think finding the right area is paramount, and then finding the best streets within that area comes second. Look for streets with good price growth history; look for streets that have views of waterfront, or desirable parks; that are close to shops and transport and that have a good feeling to them with house proud owners.

The last key selection is finding the best possible property that suits the demographic unique to that suburb. Different areas of Australia like different property types, just be sure to tailor your search to what the market wants.

My model currently looks at a narrow selection of properties within a short list of suburbs of which they suit; mainly in Melbourne's inner East and North, with but some exceptions. There are a few threads where my criteria has been mentioned :)

I can see the merits of this strategy, I always wonder though how long does it take for an area with a "reputation" take to become desirable enough to outperform??

Hi Jake
I can not answer this, what I do know is once developers jump in the area improves significantly. Does it really matter, if there is strong demand prices will rise, from my experience developers target these areas.

Investors have the option to develop, which adds value.

I recently purchased a number of these properties, I am watching prices from when I started purchasing in Aug 2012 to Dec an increase of around $50k, developers are jumping in which is pushing prices up. Too many buyers and not enough stock, perfect storm.

MTR

Last edited:
Hi Jake
I can not answer this, what I do know is once developers jump in the area improves significantly. Does it really matter, if there is strong demand prices will rise, from my experience developers target these areas.

Investors have the option to develop, which adds value.

I recently purchased a number of these properties, I am watching prices from when I started purchasing in Aug 2012 to Dec an increase of around $50k, developers are jumping in which is pushing prices up. Too many buyers and not enough stock, perfect storm.

MTR

I think this is a good indicator. When the developers start jumping in with their flashy OTP apartments its time to buy up older, larger apartments in the area? Sounds legit

I think an undesirable area can still outperform even with reputation :)

The areas in mind - all part of The New North project - will probably take a further 10 years to become more mainstream but for the past 5 years have performed well.

Profit begets profit - the rezoning has provided profit for people redeveloping which has meant that people have sold up their crap (and moved away), developable blocks have increased in price, the new built houses have increased in price.

2yrs ago the blocks that MTR is now buying were about $270k now they are pushing $370k and moving upwards quickly. I think they are now too high but the number of houses for sale in Perth are alarmingly low.

Back