Had Enough Of Dap!!!

We just have a development application that coumplies with council regulations in terms of POS and other specifics that they impose. It is also recomened by the council planner and by a town planner.
At a development assessment pannel last night, the application was refused! [blink]
There was NO GROUNDS for the refusal, it was based on what they felt like, emotion took over logic at this meeting, I have never experienced this before, but it was like a bunch of idiots with no guidelines and no rules, but alot of descision making power.

One of the planners mentioned that there was not enough on-site parking for visitors on site and if someone has a birthday party the street would be banked up with cars. (there are 4 visitor parks and 4 resident parks on site for 3 dwellings)
Has anyone seen a development that can accomodate ALL their visitors? Our visitors can never park in our driveway as our cars are always parked there.
AND there are no council regulations that say that you have to accomidate 40 visitors!!!!

They did not want 3 dwellings on the block even though the area is zoned for medium density development and the plans comply with the zoning policies. [grrr]

We are definately appealing their pathetic and injust descision.

Anyone had any similar experiences with council?
Can anyone recomend a solicitor in SA that they have used?

Ring the town planner and ask for guidance on how many car spaces they expect. If it is well above the norm for that area, then you have a stronger case.

Had the same thing happen to me in Bendigo. DA knocked back even though it complied. I used a planner and whipped thier ass at the Victorian Civil Arbatration Tribunal. Cost me just over $5K :( for the planner which I cant recover plus the holding cost over 6 months and loss of $ from getting started with the devlopment! Probably cost the council closer to $10K. This **** happens all the time. Dont fret too much (I must admit I boiled at the time), get a good planner and let them loose.

Yep, what we fear the most is the costs in delays. If it costs us 6 months of time which we can't recover I don't know if the project will be worth going ahead with.

This really sucks, why do they make these rules for people to follow just so they could reject them?:confused:

Councils full of

I have seen many similar situations. At one stage I was refused a simple carport because it was 1 metre over the building line. They suggested I cuta metre off the carport. OK and buy a mini to fit in it. Thing that got me was the number of houses in the street that had carports the same as my proposal. And they were approved. Eventually after gathering heaps of information and hassling Councilors it was passed. But only after nearly 12 mths and having to address Council meetings.

Councils and Councillors :(

Hi Xenia,

Sometimes council officers and elected members do not agree.
There was a case of a complying petrol station on Commercial Road, pt Noarlunga which
council officers said should be approved. Council members did not want a
petrol station so knocked it back. On appeal council officers could not represent council on ethical grounds. So council had to employ planning
consultants to represent them. Councils decision was overturned.

Stirling

Thanks,
I know Richard through our children and he may be a little too close, if you know what I mean! I like to keep our business at arms length from people I know.
Any other referrals?
cava

Back