Happy Diwali

Wish all the SS members a very Happy Diwali. Diwali is the festival of lights and celebrated in India and Indians all over the world.

Thanks for that.

Same back to you.

In the USA, they never say any of this sort of thing anymore as they are so anally politically correct (and we are pursuing them at a great rate of knots in all facets of their lives unfortunately).

Now, all they say is a lame "Happy Holidays".

Happy Diwali to you; enjoy!

images

Thanks for that.

Same back to you.

In the USA, they never say any of this sort of thing anymore as they are so anally politically correct (and we are pursuing them at a great rate of knots in all facets of their lives unfortunately).

Now, all they say is a lame "Happy Holidays".

Thanks Bayview. Have a great holiday.

Happy Diwali to all.

How wonderful would it be to be in India with the lights and the colour?

One day ....

(I hate "Happy Holidays" it makes me cringe).

My close relatives the Icelandic Kyuut people are also holding their annual and ancient celebration.

There will be the usual great feast with the entire community coming together with many whales and seal pups shared amongst friends.

Happy Nukchoot everyone.

My close relatives the Icelandic Kyuut people are also holding their annual and ancient celebration.

There will be the usual great feast with the entire community coming together with many whales and seal pups shared amongst friends.

Happy Nukchoot everyone.
I would have thought Bjórdagur would be more up your alley, Dazz.

And I wish you'd reminded me about Dazz's kaftan last week, OO... last weekend I went to a function held by hubby's work (predominantly engineers), and the theme was "Kaftans and Safari Suits". I had a lot of trouble hunting down a kaftan - I should have just asked Dazz if I could borrow his!

I just knew you'd check ozperp.....:)

The first Beer Day, Ölstofan bar owner Kormákur Geirharðsson recalls:

“I remember a lot of drinking and a lot of ******* all night long and the next days, and it [was] not stopping. This was the day Icelanders took the step to try to become civilized. Ölstofan was not open then, but the idea of owning a bar started there.”

—The Reykjavik Grapevine

Gross apologies - the gear we're smoking here this afternoon is admittedly very expensive.....but very effective indeed.

Must dash. The servants are getting restless downstairs.

I was working in Malaysia and throughout the year we had Chinese New Year, Gawai for the Ibans, Deepavalli for the Indians, Hari Raya for the Moslems and rounded off with Christmas and New Year, with other odd little festivals thrown in at various times.

Everybody had a great time and used any excuse to celebratate with everybody else. Not very PC but when you are all on a boat for weeks at a time you get with the program or go home.

I was working in Malaysia and throughout the year we had Chinese New Year, Gawai for the Ibans, Deepavalli for the Indians, Hari Raya for the Moslems and rounded off with Christmas and New Year, with other odd little festivals thrown in at various times.

Everybody had a great time and used any excuse to celebratate with everybody else. Not very PC but when you are all on a boat for weeks at a time you get with the program or go home.

Hi Attrill,

I have been to Malaysia couple of times. Its a wonderful place and truly multi-cultural celebrations.

Have fun.

I was in India for Diwali last year. It was not long after the Mumbai terrorist efforts. When those firecrackers started going off during the night, it put the wind up me momentarily. The sound and smell took me right back to cracker night as a kid. I bought a few bungers and let them off for old time's sake. It's a great time to be in India.

I was in India for Diwali last year. It was not long after the Mumbai terrorist efforts. When those firecrackers started going off during the night, it put the wind up me momentarily. The sound and smell took me right back to cracker night as a kid. I bought a few bungers and let them off for old time's sake. It's a great time to be in India.

Hi Scott,

Did you enjoy the sweets and the food as well? :).

Really missed being back home.

The best is a cracker, which we call a LADI, it have around 10,000 crackers connected in series and can go for upto 20-30 continuously mins once started.

Cheers

It all sounds great but look behind the religion it comes from and you find that Hindus believe that if you are poor, sick, or disabled, it is because you did something wrong in a previous life.

Back