Happy Diwali

Happy Diwali....

...I am an amateur photographer, and one of my photos got syndicated with various Diwali articles around the net. Photo was taken a week ago or so in Singapore.

4011208444_a1fe84a93b.jpg

We were in Mauritius for Divali a few years back

Divali (This Sunday) always reminds me of the trip

On Diwali night, little clay lamps are lit in Hindus homes, but now a days coloured electric lamps are also used. What is the significance of lighting a lamp? There is a logical answer to this question. It is through the light that the beauty of this world is revealed or experienced. Most civilizations of the world recognize the importance of light as a gift of God. It has always been a symbol of whatever is positive in our world of experience.

To Hindus, darkness represents ignorance, and light is a metaphor for knowledge. Therefore, lighting a lamp symbolizes the destruction, through knowledge, of all negative forces- wickedness, violence, lust, anger, envy, greed, bigotry, fear, injustice, oppression and suffering, etc.

Diwali.jpg

I'm heading into the CBD tomorrow for some Diwali/Deepavali festivities. The kids should enjoy the fireworks.
I love Hindu festivals - celebrations for days and days.
One of the ladies in a sister team at work has arranged a Diwali morning tea at work on Monday. I'll be up making Barfi, Kalakand and maybe some Dhoodh tomorrow. Hopefully the kids won't eat them all and there will be some for work :rolleyes:

westminster, are you Indian ethnicity? All along I thought you were Aussie.

Barfi sounds great!!

What's dhoodh? I thought that meant milk.

westminster, are you Indian ethnicity? All along I thought you were Aussie.

Barfi sounds great!!

What's dhoodh? I thought that meant milk.

I am what is called I think an Anglo-Indian.
My father and grandfather were both born in India as my grandfather and great-grandfather were in the British Army there.

So I was raised on curry but very Aussie. Dad's family moved here when he was a teen but retained many of their habits and culture from living in India. I used to love going to my grandparents house and they had this coffee table which they had shellacked over all these photos of India on the surface of it.

Dhoodh does mean milk, I'll be making Dhoodh Peda
http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/milk-peda-recipe-doodh-peda-recipe/

My team at work is 7/9ths Indian so I've been enjoying learning more about the Hindu and Indian culture.

Very interesting :). I've never met anyone whose not Indian Indian being able to make all these sweets at home!

Pera is very much like Barfi I find..

Happy Diwali btw!

Impressive Myf! I ate some kalakand today but missing my bibi and her awesome sweets durinh diwali as she's in singapore atm

Happy Diwali & New Year?..2nd & 3rd Nov.2013?.

Today is the fastival of light - Diwali......Happy Divali
Hindu new year starts from Tomorrow - it is 2070 :Das per hindu calendar

Happy Diwali & New Year to SS family.

My first experience of Diwali was on a trip to Singapore many years ago, when we went to little India in the evening for shopping and dinner, and it was Diwali. Wow - the lights, the happy people, the food... what a great night!

I have no idea what Diwali is about, but there sure were a lot of happy people about!

Back