Has anyone run a marathon?

Are you a physio? What's your clinical research?

Yes and sounds our areas of practice are quite different. I work in neuro rehab and my study is about stroke gait :)

Boods and Mooze - Iron Man triathlons are crazy...make sure you beat Tony Abbott's effort! Don't know how he found the time to train for it. Must not be putting too much effort into leading the Opposition (sorry can't stand him).

Once I run this marathon, my short running career will be over as I am aware I need to try and preserve my cartilage. It is just a goal and a box I need to tick. Cycling and skiing are my other loves.

thanks for everyone's replies.

Yes and sounds our areas of practice are quite different. I work in neuro rehab and my study is about stroke gait :)

I probably got too much stroke gait education, pracs, and professional year exposure via Uni of Qld, and acute and rehab hospital rotations. I hope your job satisfaction endures.

No offense, but my job satisfaction++ will come from reducing demand for your services. :)

At the moment I am training for the Anaconda race in November (I'm in a team for that one, doing a 13.5km coastal run) then the half Iron Man (Bussleton) in May 2011, and then eventually the full Iron Man in December 2011. The full Iron Man has a marathon run at the end:eek:
Does that count??:p

Boods

Hi Boods

Might catch up with you at the 2011 iron man, fun race, but hard on the back being so flat(raced in 2008).

Busso would be a good race to celebrate a "0" birthday as unfortunately old age is starting to creep up.

Was aiming for the Gold Coast marathon but injured a hip, would have been my 1st straight marathon, best I have been able to manage in a IM marathon is a 4:18min.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Boods

Might catch up with you at the 2011 iron man, fun race, but hard on the back being so flat(raced in 2008).

Busso would be a good race to celebrate a "0" birthday as unfortunately old age is starting to creep up.

Was aiming for the Gold Coast marathon but injured a hip, would have been my 1st straight marathon, best I have been able to manage in a IM marathon is a 4:18min.

Cheers

Pete

Definately keen to catch up with fellow SS's at the next IM. I have only done the short course tri's so far which gave me the taste to bigger and better things. To date, I have not run a full marathon but will obviously need to start to get the km's into the legs.
The Anaconda race is going to be a challenge, 13.5 "coastal" run, sand, rock hopping, bushtracks... going to need to strap the ankles up good and proper as they were one of the reasons I had to stop playing footy:eek:

WW, Player, Skibum, and anyone else who is listening, what are your opinions on the compression wear (Skins, 2XU etc) and do they help as much as their marketing material suggests...just bought some for running, hoping it will help to relieve calf pain after a long run...thoughts??

Boods

Turk, Mooze...
also would be interested in how you went about training for the IM and any points or tips that would help me along??
Boods

Hey, I'll be there in October too. Doing my first full.

I don't think you need to be doing a full marathon distance in training. I wont be getting out over 35k for my longest runs in training. But make sure you get those long runs in now.

This is always a good event to help you train http://www.brtrun.com.au/

what are your opinions on the compression wear (Skins, 2XU etc) and do they help as much as their marketing material suggests...just bought some for running, hoping it will help to relieve calf pain after a long run...thoughts??

Boods

I own 2XU long johns and love them. Only have been using them this year, as I was always skeptical about them...decided to try and they are awesome. I wear them for recovery afterwards and have found a noticeable difference in muscle soreness, esp quads and calves. Haven't tried running in them as I'm not training at the moment. Anecdotally most people I know who use them have found they help. Even if it is just a placebo effect (I do think its more than that), I'm not complaining about the better recovery!

We got our 2XU's from a UK website (not sure if i'm allowed to mention it here - PM me if you want) and they were about $90 AUD ($165 RRP). Make sure you try them at Rebel first before ordering online.

I own 2XU long johns and love them. Only have been using them this year, as I was always skeptical about them...decided to try and they are awesome. I wear them for recovery afterwards and have found a noticeable difference in muscle soreness, esp quads and calves. Haven't tried running in them as I'm not training at the moment. Anecdotally most people I know who use them have found they help. Even if it is just a placebo effect (I do think its more than that), I'm not complaining about the better recovery!

We got our 2XU's from a UK website (not sure if i'm allowed to mention it here - PM me if you want) and they were about $90 AUD ($165 RRP). Make sure you try them at Rebel first before ordering online.

thanks for the feed back skibum...I just went for a run in them for the first time (9km) this arvo and found them to be quite comfy, they seem to keep everything nice and tight and less movement of your muscles if you know what I mean. I am wondering if they should also be worn for recovery (a clean pair of course!)

I paid a little more than you ($160) but did'nt do much shopping around...

You know what I really need... is a good running hat, something that breathes and absorbs sweat. To date, I've had a few, but nothing that does both:rolleyes:

Boods

what are your opinions on the compression wear (Skins, 2XU etc) and do they help as much as their marketing material suggests...just bought some for running, hoping it will help to relieve calf pain after a long run...thoughts??

Boods

If you are getting calf pain after longer runs, two issues you should address

- get some very very deep tissue massage. it has to hurt++. You need to stretch the connective tissue in the endo, peri, and epi mysium. This is the stuff that gets torn, inflammed, and heals thicker and shorter. 98% of masseurs don't know their anatomy well enough to do it. Seek out a physio or masseur associated with a professional sports club.

- get your running style checked. You may be overpronating, and need a high orthotic.

If you are getting calf pain after longer runs, two issues you should address

- get some very very deep tissue massage. it has to hurt++. You need to stretch the connective tissue in the endo, peri, and epi mysium. This is the stuff that gets torn, inflammed, and heals thicker and shorter. 98% of masseurs don't know their anatomy well enough to do it. Seek out a physio or masseur associated with a professional sports club.

- get your running style checked. You may be overpronating, and need a high orthotic.

Thanks for that WW. I have a remedial (Sp?) masseur and I will ask the question next visit.
I bought my running shoes from Athletes Foot and they took a pressure reading of my stride to get an idea of how my feet are ( i must note that I think that this is just a gimmick they use to sell more in-soles:eek:). They then told me I needed to buy these in-soles which I did, but they killed my feet on the first run and gave me major blisters on my arches. I took them out and they feel much better now. I thought it was a little dodgy as the girl who was doing the test would not have been older than say 20, definately not old enough to be qualified at anything like that...and even if she was, why would she be working in retail?:confused:

Whats "overpronating"?

Went to an Eagles show band concert tonight.

Stood up and tried to boogie and that was too much on the knees. :)

So No. Marathons are only in my dreams. You are never old in your dreams. :)

Thanks for that WW. I have a remedial (Sp?) masseur and I will ask the question next visit.
I bought my running shoes from Athletes Foot and they took a pressure reading of my stride to get an idea of how my feet are ( i must note that I think that this is just a gimmick they use to sell more in-soles:eek:). They then told me I needed to buy these in-soles which I did, but they killed my feet on the first run and gave me major blisters on my arches. I took them out and they feel much better now. I thought it was a little dodgy as the girl who was doing the test would not have been older than say 20, definately not old enough to be qualified at anything like that...and even if she was, why would she be working in retail?:confused:

Whats "overpronating"?

Overpronating is having a weak arch, and from when your heel strikes the ground, and your bodyweight begins to move forwards onto your forefoot, your ankle and mid foot rolls or collapses inwards. This can overload some of the muscles in the calf, and cause repetitive microtrauma/tearing.

Part of the solution is to get a reasonable arch support and heel stablization. The supports built into some shoes the athletes foot sells is very hit and miss. They might get it right 4 times out of 10. You don't necessarily need a podiatrist's orthotic either. Chemists sell soft orthotics for about $35 which can be heat moulded (with a hair dryer). You want to feel support in the arch, but not excessive pressure that causes blisters.

Regarding the massage, there's a whole procedure of heating and self stretching the calf before deep tissue. Whoever does it needs to
- heat the compartment
- drain the blood
- loosen the superficial gastro
- get into the soleus and tib post and peroneal compartment
- be mindful of the fragility of plantaris

Recurrent pain is often associated with adhesions in the deeper layers of the gastro or soleus and tib post.

If done right, the masseur should find deep hard very tender spots. These need to be broken and stretched. It can be 9/10 pain but the more heat and more gradual pressure applied, the less painful. No more than 6 sessions should be required.

Further, make sure you know how to differentiate gastro, soleus, and hams stretching with training sessions. You might also benefit from stretching the plantar fascia. Ask your masseur how.

Training wise - find a good group you can rely on - if you know someone's waiting for you to be there for training, you're more likely to show even when it's cold wet and freezing.

The windtrainer is your friend. If you can survive 3 hours on the windtrainer you can easily do 6 on the road. (hard windtrainer sessions - not slacking off ones). Mentally these will be some of the hardest you'll do - stick with it.

Soak up the atmosphere :)

Don't throw your bike away at the finish. (you'll be tempted)

Recover properly - legs up, rest, ice bath.

Eat right - it makes a world of difference. Plenty of fruit veg etc, have healthy snacks available.

Don't underestimate how much extra food you'll go through. I used to sit next to an ex professional footballer at work- admittedly he was only doing limited training - but I'd eat twice as much as him (at the time I was a size 6-8 female) most days.

Don't get caught up in the hype of needing this or that - JFT (just train) works well.

Re-visiting this thread to complete it as I finished my first marathon yesterday :):)

Not ideal conditions in Melbourne, but I can honestly say I enjoyed it. Paced well, finished strongly and hit my target time of sub 4hrs. Importantly, I am keen to go again and look forward to beating my PB October 2012!

Lying at home on the couch recovering today, reading SS ;)

Hey come on, did you really want 40 degrees with clear skies? :D

The Y-man

First post after reading Somersoft for the past 2 years, might as well be about something I know about.

Congrats Ski for finishing a marathon. You sound like you want to go back for more next year!

Y-Man - thoughts for the Hawaii Ironman World Championships held yesterday, which is on the lava fields of the big island of Kona. It was run and won yesterday....Aussie 1st/2nd/9th in the mens and 2nd in womens!

I guess Ive taken the plunge to post now, I will have to contribute to property investing now too!

pinkboy

Re-visiting this thread to complete it as I finished my first marathon yesterday :):)

Not ideal conditions in Melbourne, but I can honestly say I enjoyed it. Paced well, finished strongly and hit my target time of sub 4hrs. Importantly, I am keen to go again and look forward to beating my PB October 2012!

Lying at home on the couch recovering today, reading SS ;)

Hi ski-bum,

Congratulations! Inspirational stuff.

I am running the 2012 marathon (or maybe the half) with very little prior running experience.

Great effort mate.

Hey Ski-bum,

Well done mate. I did my first marathon in Melbourne yesterday too in 2:56.

And I think the weather was perfect. Cool, overcast and no wind. I want it to be like that for next year now.

pinkboy - good to know that we finally tempted you to post. Welcome!! Look forward to more posts, even if they're about marathons and ironmans :)

srini - I'll see you in 365 days time at the Marathon ;)

tubs - What a great time, boy you must be fast to run sub 3hr in your first marathon! Looks like we've both caught the bug.

Still suffering from severe DOMS.

Back