Hate micromanaging the PM!

My PM is very communicative and follows up on my instructions (for this I'm thankful). I'm findind however that she comes back to me for instructions every step of the way. I'd prefer that she gets on and does the job but she says that this exposes her too much.

Example: Broken Gas heater
PM: Heater is broken. Pilot light won't come on
Me: Please have it fixed ASAP. Use the tradies I have listed if they can come in a timely manner. If they are unavailable use your own.
PM: Your plumber came but says it needs a service from xxxxx company
Me: Ok, get them to send someone out
PM Guy from xxxx company says an electrician needs to change a part
Me: Ok, send one out

I didn't think the stuff in italics was necessary. I felt the PM already had my authority and the extra communication uneccessarily delayed an urgent repair. Tenants were naturally unhappy.

This isn't an "Am I right or wrong" post. What I'm asking is how do you best foster communication and sensible independence in a PM.

Hi Dis,

We have a PM who had full authority to arrange for tradies as required. She is a mature person (probably 40 - 50 range) and has the experience and initiative to deal with maintenance issues as they arise.

How old is your PM?

She is a mature person (probably 40 - 50 range) and has the experience and initiative to deal with maintenance issues as they arise.

Ditto.

She is just scared that using her initiative will get her into trouble.

Just as bad as a PM who des whatever she wants.

Maybe you should just tell her how you feel and how you want things done in a nice way :D

Actually, I don't mind if the pm touches base and tells me of any problems. That way I know to expect less rent as the tradie fee will be deducted.

If I were to be going away for any length of time and uncontactable, I would personally phone and authorise all emergency maintenance approved automatically.

I'm glad to hear that your PM actually knows you number! Seems that mine doesn't. Never returns my calls, and very closed in communication...works for one of the big r/e's.

Hi Boost, I think it's time to change to another PM..... :D There's no excuse for no communciation; remember they're not doing you a favour, they are a SERVICE provider whom you pay a fee for.

Having sat on the other side of the desk, you get so many complaints from Landlords about the cost of repairs. Even when the landlord had requested not to be contacted! If you honestly don't want to know just be clear with your PM that this is the case. Or authorise any repair up to a certain dollar value.

Mine is the opposite - or maybe I expect too much?
Tues am PM phones telling me stove broken. I question what the problem is as we had stove fixed when tenants first moved in early August.PM checks records and states will recall sparky to look at again. Advise PM to let me know if it has died this time & we will replace.

Thurs lunchtime I have heard nothing from Pm so call - advises me they have arranged for original repairer to return at no cost to check stove & PM will advise me if stove dead or not.

Fri pm - still no idea if I should be spending the weekend looking for a stove or not? I wonder what the tenant has been told or if they think they have a slack landlord who cant be bothered fixing the stove in a reasonable time or if the stove has been fixed already?

I know if the stove in my PPOR was misbehaving I cetrainly wouldn't expect to wait 3-4 days for it to be fixed.

Am planning on calling PM Monday midday if no word - or do you think I am expecting things to happen too quickly??

Cheers
Stella

One thing I don't understand is why PMs do not seem to ask Landlords for warranty details (particularly in new homes areas where almost everything is going to be under warranty). If something is under warranty the PM should be able to organise the repair without having to contact the landlord at all. I do give the PM warranty details anyway, even though they don't ask, along with the builder's emergency numbers, and ask them to put it on file. But I know that if something breaks they won't look at the file. They will just ring me and if they can't get hold of me they will probably call someone out at my expense. Same thing would probably happen with an emergency repair that is a potential insurance claim - if PM can't contact landlord, and isn't aware of the insurance procedure, and sends someone out to fix, the landlord could lose their right to claim on insurance. Yet many PMs don't seem to ask for insurance details either.

Spoke to PM yesterday - just checking stove has been fixed because I haven't heard anything?? Guess what - the girl who looked after the maintenance stuff finished up on Friday & no one knew what was going on with the stove!

Turns out it hasn't been fixed so now the tenants have been without a properly working stove for a week - I'm not happy!!

PM has been told to have stove fixed as urgent & get their act together or the 30 days termination notice we negotiated will be used!!

Remind me again why I pay this person to look after my property???

Back