• Yes

Votes: 121 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I've been to NZ

Votes: 5 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd like to know the far-flung places people have visited... the out of the way, unusual places.
I used to know a guy who had literally been everywhere. Whenever a country was mentioned, hed' say "I've been there".... it was very irritating, but also exciting to know that he'd been to so many different places.

So, who gets the award for travelling to the most obscure location?!!

I haven't been anywhere very much off the beaten track, but I have travelled a reasonable amount. For work, I go back to the same places over again, so it doesn't look so exciting. I'm usually away 8-10 weeks per year for work....

I've been to NZ, Fiji, New Caledonia, Japan, Korea, China, HK, Macau, Thailand, Malaysia, Germany, UK, Ireland, Italy, France, Sweden, Denmark, USA, Mexico, Belize, Cayman Island, British Honduras.... I think thats it.

I lived and worked in Japan for 4 months and Germany for 2 months. Living somewhere is quite a different experience to travelling. I loved both experiences, but particularly being in Germany changed my attitude to the country completely. Fantastic experience.

Pen

There are so many interesting places to see in the world. Only problem is Australia is so far away from most places :( . But we try and do one big trip a year.

Last trip was Dec/Jan 2010. 1mth combined trip to Egypt, Jordan (including the world heritage Petra) and Tanzania (7day safari - Serengeti).

Amazing places. Anyone has to experience these places at least once in their lifetime.

Did Germany, Italy, France the year before. Southern Germany is very nice.

So, who gets the award for travelling to the most obscure location?!!

My best is Wadi Rum in Jordan. Rocky desert in southern Jordan that they say is the place on earth that most closely resembled what planet Mars might look like. They get the Bedouin tribe men to drive you around on the back of utes around the desert. Amazing scenery.

It's very interesting to get off the beaten track and find out how the Bedouin live in Jordan or Masai in Tanzania.

Last edited:
I'd like to know the far-flung places people have visited... the out of the way, unusual places.
I used to know a guy who had literally been everywhere. Whenever a country was mentioned, hed' say "I've been there".... it was very irritating, but also exciting to know that he'd been to so many different places.

An old man comes to a doctor:

-Doctor, could you please give me something so i can perform better in bed.
Why?
-My friend is 70 y.o. and he says he can do it 4 times a night. I'm 60 and can only do it twice.
Well you can also say you are doing it 4 times.

:p

Lived on USA, Iran, India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia.

Have visited:

Pacific - NZ

Asia - Malaysia, Singapore, Pakistan, Thailand, Phillippines

Europe - UK, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Belgium, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Spain, Portugal, France, Hungary, Austria

Loved Bilbao in Spain and Berlin in Germany.

Have visited different cities in below countries several times. Some of them for work others for holidays or because I used to live there.

NZ, New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Malaysia, HK, Singapore, China, South Africa, Spain, Italy, Vatican City, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, UK, Poland, Russia, Latvia, Ukraine, Sweden, Canada, USA, Cuba, Mexico, Panama, Venezuela, Colombia, Peru and Argentina.

Most unusual place I have been to is Cambodia - and I fell in love with it !

I'm hoping to do a side trip to Cambodia on one of my work trips to Thailand this year. I've wanted to visit for 20 years and have never got there. But a friend of mine is living in Phnom Penh, so its a good excuse to have a quick trip
Pen

Galapogas Islands

This year we went to Eucador and Galapogas Islands. The scenery on the islands was different to what I thought it would be like - it was a barren wilderness but it had that desert beauty you see in those places. Lava rock over one island was unique. First time I had seen it up close. It was the culture of the Eucadorians (including traditional owners on Islands). They have such diversity in their homeland but serious harmony and no undertones of racial tensions.

We went to the top of WA last year and that is a wilderness like no other I have seen around the world. Everyone deserves to visit the Kimberley. It is mesmerising because it is so pristine. Even the Amazon is touched unlike this playground. I believe we Australians need to defend this last frontier against development and I am all for development ordinarily but if we let this piece of earth go we will never get it back.

Top of Machu Picu (?) was spectacular also.

One of my other favourite places was Aswan in Egypt. Anyone thinking of going to Egypt - dont hesitate - it is a living museum. Awesome cultural experience throughout the country from top to bottom. The colonial influence down the bottom was classic time spent. I felt like I was in a timewarp.

Oh travel................I could talk it all day, every day. We work to travel! and buy IP's to create income to travel.

Merry Xmas fellow travellers and interested persons.

My best is Wadi Rum in Jordan. Rocky desert in southern Jordan that they say is the place on earth that most closely resembled what planet Mars might look like. They get the Bedouin tribe men to drive you around on the back of utes around the desert. Amazing scenery.

It's very interesting to get off the beaten track and find out how the Bedouin live in Jordan or Masai in Tanzania.

I lived in Nazereth for a while which has a large Arab population, so got to see some of that more arid country near the Jordanian border and meet the type of people likely to live on the other side of the 'fence'.

Isrealie friends of ours in the Military (mandatory conscription - so had we had a few :)) took us to a few places of interest in unautharised areas, one being some naturals springs and baths on the border that had been in ruins due to bombing.

I actually walked up to the fence line intruigued by the ticking sound coming from the ground before getting blasted for going near mines apparently placed between the two barbed wire fences :eek:.

Like Penny said, living in a place is a completely different experience to just visiting.

Oh travel................I could talk it all day, every day. We work to travel! and buy IP's to create income to travel.

Like Penny said, living in a place is a completely different experience to just visiting.

Agree. That's why we work and invest, to one day have enough passive income to be able to do more than just visit, but stay for 1-2mths in each location and really experience the countries and people, not just the tourist portions.

Haha Join the club.
My favourite 2 topics - travel and property.

I've been to Italy (Rome, Venice, Florence, Lucca, Siena, Sorrento), Spain (not enough), Morocco (not enough), Turkey (my favourite), Greek Isles, Fiji, Thailand, Bali (heaps of times), Dubai, Canada, USA (Vegas, San Fran, LA, San Diego, Hawaii), China, Vietnam, Singapore, Paris, New Zealand, Vanuatu.
I've seen a bit of Australia too.

Everytime I cross a place off my list I add another place.

On my list (in order)- London, Holland, Belgium, Prague (next April)
Egypt, South America. 2012
Lots more.
My husband says the cabin crew all know me by my first name now. :D

Most unusual place I have been to is Cambodia - and I fell in love with it !

I went there once too;

the traffic lights along Springvale rd are a killer though. ;)

But seriously; we have been to Ireland, England, Hong Kong, USA, Mexico, Fiji, Bali.

All terrific in their own way, as a tourist.

Traveling overseas is quite a challenge - airports etc, so we are going to be seeing only Australia for next few years when we go somewhere. Much easier on the "travelling stress" levels.

I am so having withdrawal symptoms from travelling... I've only been overseas once since June. Usually I'd be away every 2 months at least.
In 2011, I should be away for a work for around 10 weeks over the course of the year... so it will be interesting to see how I feel this time next year!
For those of you who travel regularly for work, do you know about the APEC Business Card? It gets you visas into most AP countries, and you can go through the diplomatic channels at passport control. It makes travelling so easy. Its a reasonably complex application, but worth the time if you get accepted....
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/business/apec/

Pen

Love travelling have been to:

New Zealand, Fiji, Tonga, England, France, Italy, Germany, Luxembourg, Monaco, Belgium, Austria, Netherlands, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos and Burma.

Have a trip planned for end of 2011 where we will be travelling through SE Asia to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam and then up to China.

yes - dozen of countries, but still dozens on the list. italy and morocco are at the top, followed by kenya and rarotonga.

makes one appreciate living in australia with our wide open space, fresh air and clean drinking water.

I've been to England, Belgium, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Singapore, Hawaii & New Zealand.

What I still want to do is all of Europe thoroughly including live in Switzerland for a year, Canada, USA, then once I've seen everything I want to see, perhaps some of South America & South Africa.

Back