Hayfever!

Ah Spring has sprung! Lovely, except for the bouts of gastro going through the preps classrooms and HAYFEVER!! I am suffering very badly this year and yes, I've tried the latest and greatest tablets. They sort of work... my nose dries up a bit but I'm left feeling a bit hungover.

I have just paused to sneeze four times and it's now 9.43pm, so hours since I've been in the garden. After two babies I have to cross my legs each time I sneeze (the mums on here will understand this) and so walking my daughter to school is not fun at the moment. Add to this the puffy red itchy eyes and the itchy mouth (truly bad) and just feeling run down from all the sneezing, and I'm over it.

My poor darling little girl's eczema has flared up again too.

So anyone have any secret home remedies for hayfever?

Terrible thing to have I know. I use Fess nasal spray, it is just a saline spray, I use it several times as day and it helps both my hayfever and sinusitus. You can get various additives to Fess spray now, but I just use the plain saline soloution.

There is a thing called a Netti pot, (think that is the name), which is a big pot you use to wash out your nose and cavitys. Apparently it is really good, I have not tried it though.

ENT surgeons now encourage Fess spray.

I use Fess nasal spray, it is just a saline spray, I use it several times as day and it helps both my hayfever and sinusitus.

Make your own normal saline by adding 1/4 tsp. fine grade non iodized salt to 1 cup water. Boil for 10 minutes, then cool off.

Keep your Fess bottle but sterilize with sterilizing solution each month when making up a new lot.

Cheap and equally as effective :).

Yes, but you probably won't like it.... cooler, wet climates or more tropical environs....

You could try a humidifier at home, and be aware, airconditioners de-humidify the air, so evaporative cooling with additional humidifier may provide a small sanctuary at home.

As for medications, there are so many and we all reactive differently to them. A combination of oral and topical treatments (nasal sprays) often helps, but if not, your in a jam because Immunotherapy has currently be banned pending further medical assessments.

The trick with oral & topical treatments is to continue taking them. If you wait for the onset of symptoms, effectiveness seems to wane.

Do you know what you are actually allergic to? I started getting hayfever soon after I got married...... despite my suspicions, I wasn't allergic to my husband! But I got an allergy test done at the GP, and found I was allergic to soy. He is lactose intolerant, and I'd started drinking soy milk when we got married, cause I figured it was easier than buying milk for one person. Hayfever is solved now.... I avoid soy.
cheers
Pen

Dust mites (or their poop) are terrible in the nasal passages.

Is it time to do a spring clean on the bed? We replace pillows regularly, use the fine mesh sleeves and everything goes through the wash if I start coughing.

Just a thought.

Every now and again wake up at 2 or 3 AM sneezing and rubbing the roof of my mouth with my tongue as it's itching like crazy...What the....the house is all closed up and has been so for hours.....how are those pollens sneaking in!!

Only happens a few times a year, but it drives me to derision, I'll usually have a anti-histamine and go back to sleep

Other times I may be driving the car and get the same symptoms, no drugs so grin and bear it until it passes

The more dairy I consume the more I sneeze :(

I cut out cheese and full cream milk and that helps a lot, so far so good this year :)

The more dairy I consume the more I sneeze :(

I cut out cheese and full cream milk and that helps a lot, so far so good this year :)

I used to get it real bad - like sit there with my nose over a basin running like a tap (eeewww!:eek:)

Rarely get it now - can even go mowing (ok, that's pushing the boundaries)

Read a real wierd unsubstantiated home remedy - eat lots of plain yoghurt PRIOR during WINTER (yeah :confused:)

Anyway - tried it and works for me - go figure....

The Y-man

p.s. mind you - aside from the yoghurt, I did shed about 20% of my body weight, so I suspect that had soemthing to do with it

There is a thing called a Netti pot, (think that is the name), which is a big pot you use to wash out your nose and cavitys. Apparently it is really good, I have not tried it though.

I'll vouch for the Netti pot. Warm water and sea salt mixture in a bottle similar to a genie's lantern.

You seal the spout end to one nostril, tilt your head to the side and place your chin to your chest and hold it there.

Gradually the solution works its way through the full length of your sinuses and out the other nostril.

Takes quite a bit of time to clear fully and you will be amazed at the amount of rubbish that is flushed out!

Gets my vote every time

Cheers

Rooster

Lots of great ideas, thanks! And thanks for the private messages too. I'm on some different tablets that the lady at the chemist recommended and also to incorporate Rhinocort spray and give that a try.

I should eat more yoghurt, I like that idea.

The netti pot I had heard about but gotta admit it dosen't appeal to me. I"m sure it works and is great but I'm not keen. i hope you clean your bathroom sinks well, those of you that use them!

I'm pretty good with the bedding, (my little girl gets eczema so we try to keep allergens down) and I do change the pillows regularly. But thanks for the tip, it might just be time again to freshen it all up.

I'm pretty much ok if I stay away from some particular plants and find that on the tablets I might still sneeze and stuff but I do recover quicker. These are just the chemist-own brand ones.

I was fine in Hamilton Island so I might just have to move! Been thinking about Singapore, maybe it's another reason to consider it further!!

Thanks again for everyone's concern. Like a lovely hug :D

I lived in Bris for 26 yrs, never had hayfever. Been in Perth 11 - had bad hay fever for that duration. I'm highly allergic to grass. My kids have hayfever too. My husband had really bad hayfever in both Bris and Perth (Dust mites) He got desensitised and he only gets it for about 3 days of the year now. Desensitising works for some people, and can make some people worse or do nothing at all.

Try and find a local honey supplier, make sure his/her honey is sourced locally and get that into you, works a treat to desensitise you to the local pollens ect, it works for me but it doesn't help with strong westerly winds though.

I lived in Bris for 26 yrs, never had hayfever. Been in Perth 11 - had bad hay fever for that duration. I'm highly allergic to grass. My kids have hayfever too. My husband had really bad hayfever in both Bris and Perth (Dust mites) He got desensitised and he only gets it for about 3 days of the year now. Desensitising works for some people, and can make some people worse or do nothing at all.

Perth got me bad too. I found out it was the bottlebrushes that lined the streets where I worked. Very common allergy.

Try and find a local honey supplier, make sure his/her honey is sourced locally and get that into you, works a treat to desensitise you to the local pollens ect, it works for me but it doesn't help with strong westerly winds though.

tHAT WOULD be interesting to try! I know someone close by with their own bees.

Perth got me bad too. I found out it was the bottlebrushes that lined the streets where I worked. Very common allergy.

That's what a GP suggested to me too. I live off Bottlebrush Drive - which is lined with Bottlebrushes. Us and all our neighbours have them too - it must have been a landscaping package with the estate. They're in flower at the moment, my head throbs if I go outside!! I'm moving to Bris for a while in 6 weeks time - can't wait to have a break from it!!! :) :) :)

Casserole Dish - Google hayfever and allergy free gardening. Most grevilla's are bad news too. I find all the chemist hayfever tabs and sprays take the edge off it, but don't do much. Staying indoors helps heaps (but sux). I've met a few people who have yearly injections too - but don't know much about it. If you get itchy eyes, you can get drops from a GP for it.

I did the allergy skinprick testing and then took weekly injections for a year to desensitise myself.

Unfortunately I was one of the minority for whom it didn't work.

But anti histamines work well for me so I don't have too much troubles.

Back