Health Check

Did you scan your liver? Coz i did and i found i had fatty liver.. nothing too serious but it goes hand in hand sometimes with high cholestrol... it took me a year of going organic and constant exercise to get rid of it.

No chance of my liver getting fatty...I keep murdering it with alcohol. :D

Start taking fish oil, BayView. Should help to bring it down. Unless you're diet contains fish, you're probably lacking in your omegas and should be taking fish oil anyway.

Agreed. Fish oil is great stuff and will help with the arthritis as well by reducing joint inflamation.

Timely issue bayview...I did it last year and was high too 6.8 I think....and Diabetes levels getting dangerously close, so a change of diet.

Cut back on the spuds, cut out white bread and only wholegrain breads. No more processed meats (used to have ham & cheese sangas every day for lunch) and cut back on the cheese as well.
Went back a month later and levels dropped nicely...and it was a rewarding experience and a relief as well.
I don't miss anything really and my line of work ensures I get plenty of exercise on a daily basis...all day!

Now....the last thing to do is to cut back or cut out completely, the beers....:(

Hubby has high cholesterol despite a rigid diet and statins (medication). Runs in the family - his father has high cholesterol despite being a health freak and stick thin.

Sadly hubby can't take the newer (recommended) medications as they affect his muscles.

We simply do the best we can to lower the risks.
Marg

Sadly hubby can't take the newer (recommended) medications as they affect his muscles.
Marg

Hi, Marg,
I used to use a cholesterol tablet called Lipitor, which gave me quite painful muscles. This tablet has a bit of history of affecting a lot of users in this way.
I told my doctor, and he took me off Lipitor, and prescribed Ezetrol tablet (morning), and Lescol (night).
Cholesterol went down, and muscle pain slowly disappeared altogether.
On the other side, My BIL uses Lipitor and has no side effects at all.
Cheers
Amy

Hi, Marg,
I used to use a cholesterol tablet called Lipitor, which gave me quite painful muscles. This tablet has a bit of history of affecting a lot of users in this way.
I told my doctor, and he took me off Lipitor, and prescribed Ezetrol tablet (morning), and Lescol (night).
Cholesterol went down, and muscle pain slowly disappeared altogether.
On the other side, My BIL uses Lipitor and has no side effects at all.
Cheers
Amy

Liptior has side effects - i suggest to go organic.

Start taking fish oil, BayView. Should help to bring it down. Unless you're diet contains fish, you're probably lacking in your omegas and should be taking fish oil anyway.

I love fish, and eat loads of tuna and have done for many years (love vegemite and tuna sandwiches), and now take fish oil tablets along with green lipped muscle extracts (for an arthritic thumb - doc told me to take them for that).

Have been cutting out the dairy stuff since first post - no cheese, no icecream, hardly any yogurt and only low fat version, no parmesan on the spag, no chhese on the tacos, no processed meats such as ham etc.

Geez it's hard.

Geez it's hard.

tell me about it! i'm currently on a 6 week detox for my unhappy liver ... have to keep restarting because i keep falling off the wagon (4 days on the gold coast, a wedding in nz and a child's birthday party with lots of chocolate leftovers each became too much).

no cow diary, no gluten products, no tomato/capsicum/chilli/white potatos, no vinegars, no beef/pork, no processed foods, no prawns/shellfish no alcohol/coffee/tea/soft drinks, no sugar, no yeast.

there is still a lot allowed - but really makes one rethink how to cook, where you food comes from and how it is processed. allowed one breakout meal a weeks - bring on the wine and pasta!

Last edited:
In 2010 a routine blood test found that I have Vitamin D deficiency,
My GP advised me to take Vit. D supplement and since then I 've been taking
vitamin D 50,000 IU once a month - as prescribed by GP.
As we know that Vitamin D is very commonly known as the 'sunshine vitamin', because vitamin D is produced in the body as a result of direct exposure to sunlight.

I guess time to move to Sunshine state - QLD :confused:

Maybe you should move to Qld! I've been here for almost 2 years and my vit D levels are now in the low normal range without taking any vitamins. I was taking 1-2 tablets a day in Perth to get it that high.

It's only taken me 18 months to have cholesterol and vitamin d retested. Although I've altered my diet, unfortunately my cholesterol is worse. I started Crestor almost 2 weeks ago. I've been told the muscle aches should only last a couple of weeks. Hopefully that's true. How are your test results going Bayview?

There are individuals who are genetically predisposed to certain health issues. That is why the newborn screening is now being practised. Some underwent genetic testing to know their vulnerability to inherited diseases. Results may cause psychological anxiety that is why genetic testing always go with by genetic counseling.

We eat loads of tuna, (one of my favourite lunches for work is smoked tuna slices with vegemite, sandwiches).

And we eat fish for dinner at least once per week.

There are individuals who are genetically predisposed to certain health issues. That is why the newborn screening is now being practised. Some underwent genetic testing to know their vulnerability to inherited diseases. Results may cause psychological anxiety that is why genetic testing always go with by genetic counseling.

My family is predisposed to cancer :( We have the BRCA2 gene which predisposes you to prostate, breast, ovarian and melanoma.

My mum had breast cancer at 31 and ovarian cancer at 55- unfortunately didn't beat the ovarian. Her sister has also had both breast and ovarian (still alive). Their dad also died of prostate cancer.

I had genetic testing done about 3 years ago, luckily I dont have the gene. As part of the genetic counselling process we had to map our family tree and who had had cancer 16 of 18 family members in my grandfather's generation died of cancer.

Before we had the testing we were told to consider it carefully as the result can have an impact on the ability to get health insurance.

My sister and brother haven't had the genetic testing as they are not sure they want to know.

My family is predisposed to cancer :( We have the BRCA2 gene which predisposes you to prostate, breast, ovarian and melanoma.

My mum had breast cancer at 31 and ovarian cancer at 55- unfortunately didn't beat the ovarian. Her sister has also had both breast and ovarian (still alive). Their dad also died of prostate cancer.

I had genetic testing done about 3 years ago, luckily I dont have the gene. As part of the genetic counselling process we had to map our family tree and who had had cancer 16 of 18 family members in my grandfather's generation died of cancer.

Before we had the testing we were told to consider it carefully as the result can have an impact on the ability to get health insurance.

My sister and brother haven't had the genetic testing as they are not sure they want to know.
Good to hear you don't have the gene but sorry to hear about your history! Interesting/good to know you can be tested.

Back