Healthy eating and a balanced lifestyle.

Continuing on from another thread,
http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1024062#post1024062

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on healthy foods, what works and what doesn't perhaps even share a recipe or two. Also any general health tips would be great.

I'll be back to post one of my own shortly :)

"To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear." ~Buddha

NHG.

my ideal (which perhaps is honoured more in the breach) is the more food is touched by humans, (processed, cooked etc) the worse it is heath wise.

For most of my meals, I like to break it up into thirds - 1 third meat, 1 third carbs (usually pasta or rice), 1 third vegies. Depending on the recipe, sometimes the proportions are more skewed but I still try to include a good amount of each component. About 1-2 meals per week I have without meat.

for anyone that has strayed off track I believe this is the best course of action, very easy and awesome results:

Start with the Dukan diet to lose a lot of weight fast. Ok I don't agree it is sustainable but boy this diet works!

So drop a quick 8-10 kgs+ thru that,

then switch to the Paleo aka Dinosaur diet. It makes sense and the food is really nice to eat.

I aim to get my 5 and 2 a day and stick to a fairly healthy diet.

We make a lot of juices so usually start the morning with a disgusting concoction of kale, spinach, carrot, cucumber, apple, celery and whatever else we feel like throwing in that day.

Also aim to workout 5 times a week.

On the flipside, I drink too much coffee, eat too much chocolate and don't stick to the NHMRC guidelines of two standard drinks :eek:

Cheers

Jamie

for anyone that has strayed off track I believe this is the best course of action, very easy and awesome results:

Start with the Dukan diet to lose a lot of weight fast. Ok I don't agree it is sustainable but boy this diet works!

So drop a quick 8-10 kgs+ thru that,

then switch to the Paleo aka Dinosaur diet. It makes sense and the food is really nice to eat.

Agree with you on this Ausprop, easy to follow

Paleo to me means..

Basing your diet on garden vegetables, especially greens, lean meats, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar

Agree with keeping your grocery cart to the perimeter of the grocery store while avoiding the aisles, real food is perishable. The stuff with a long shelf life is all suspect. Did you see the story about the 14 yr old Macca's Burger?

This McDonald's burger looks the same as the day it was cooked... 14 years ago

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/

Done almost every diet style there is, I lost 54kg on Carb Nite and then Carb BackLoading. Something extremely diffucult on a FIFO job where food choice is limited. CN is a ultra-low carb diet that accually easy to stay on without the plateau problems that I had with every other diet.

As a lifestyle its pretty simple, stay away from processed stuff, know how to read a label properly, lots of fresh food, carbs timed right to get a benefits without the problems.

I don't expect a warm reception when I present this information but here goes:

- Eating fat (a lot of it) does not cause on obesity or heart disease
- High cholesterol has NO correlation with heart disease
- Refined carbohydrates DO cause obesity and heart disease among others
- Sugar is satan incarnate
- The number of calories you eat barely matters
- Further, a calorie is not a calorie
- Calorie restriction is useless for longterm weight loss
- Excercise is not an effective way of longterm weight loss
- Carbohydrate consumption increases hunger, and thus consumption
- Most GPs, nutritionists and the general public have got it completely wrong, and the idea of carbohydrates as a fundamental requirement and eating a "balanced diet" are so far off the mark it genuinely distresses me

If you're up for a 600+ page read detailing all of the scientific evidence including the tale of how we have got it so wrong in the last hundred years, see: Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. Failing that, google some peer-reviewed papers on the topics I have noted above and see the evidence.

If you don't want the evidence, just the outcome of it in a much briefer form, the follow up Why We Get Fat (sam author) is informative.

Failing that, consider what homo sapiens spent 200,000 years consuming almost exclusively (predominently meat and fat with occasional nuts and berries). What our bodies have evolved to use as energy. Consider what has happened, systematically, to every culture where carbohydrate consumption has increased over time.

Attention overweight people - I challenge you, after verifying that increasing fat consumption won't damage your health (forget what you think you know, see the evidence), to all but eliminate carbohydrates from your diet, replacing them mostly with fats and a bit more protein. Then monitor your weight, appetite, energy and level of wellbeing over a few months. You will be startled. Over time, you can experiment with eating more. Most people can get up to 60g before things get out of whack again.

Yes, and thousands of years ago people didn't drive their car 2kms down the road to the grocery store to pick up some bread and milk. How you can say exercise is not a long-term solution is beyond me. Go and take a walk around Paris or Rome and count how many obese people you see, especially to the extent which has become common in the West. You won't see many. Why? Because they live in walkable urban areas. Driving from work to the shopping centre to the drive through bottle shop to home will make you fat.

People have been eating carbs for hundreds of years. It's not like they were discovered 10 years ago. Obesity has only become a big problem in the last 15 years or so. I went to primary school in the 90s and could count the number of obese students in my classes on one hand. This growth in obesity corresponds closely to the recent expansion of the urban growth boundaries in most Australian capital cities.

The only thing all these diet books and fads create is the belief that being slim, fit and healthy is so complicated and difficult. It is really simple - eat well and be active. There's no magic formula.

- Most GPs, nutritionists and the general public have got it completely wrong, and the idea of carbohydrates as a fundamental requirement and eating a "balanced diet" are so far off the mark it genuinely distresses me

-Snip-

I am living proof of all that, glad to see another informed person.

How you can say exercise is not a long-term solution is beyond me.

People have been eating carbs for hundreds of years. It's not like they were discovered 10 years ago. Obesity has only become a big problem in the last 15 years or so.

Given the fact I've pointed out a wonderful book that will address every point you made, I will reply simply to the two.

1) Exercise stimulates appetite. Our bodies are notoriously good at ensuring they maintain a consistent weight. (Just watch what happens when someone stops a diet, or gets out of a long period in hospital, or stops bodybuilding 6 days a week at the gym). I'm not saying exercise isn't good for health, but it's a poor way of trying to maintain weight loss. Just as starving yourself is ineffective in the long run.

2) I'm not sure if you are familiar with the long time periods over which evolution acts, but hundreds of years are irrelevant (unless you are referring to selective breeding, which we're not).

Further, you will note that over the time period you refer, crap like soft drink consumption has swelled, but far more significantly, our fear of dietary fat has exploded, leading to higher carbohydrate consumption for many reasons, including but not limited to the ridiculous "low fat" foods which generally remove fat and replace it, inevitably, with carbohydrates, and also people simply choosing to eat less fat, which leaves a hole only to be filled with either protein of carbohydrates.

Who are the most obese people in the world? The poorest? Why? Look at what they eat.

Anyway, I'm not here to force you to believe anything. Your observations in life may be enough to retain confidence in the truth of what you believe and that's fine.

Personally, I prefer to seek out copious amounts of irrefutable evidence and data to base my choices on.

Richard, I spend a lot of time in HK so a lot of my local meals come with rice. Do you reckon I will lose weight if I stop eating rice? I'm not a fatty but should probably lose 4-5kg. I spend a lot of time in Thailand too where rice is common but there's lots of skinny people there. All the fat Thais I see are likely to be victims of western fast food.

Richard, I spend a lot of time in HK so a lot of my local meals come with rice. Do you reckon I will lose weight if I stop eating rice? I'm not a fatty but should probably lose 4-5kg. I spend a lot of time in Thailand too where rice is common but there's lots of skinny people there. All the fat Thais I see are likely to be victims of western fast food.

Before doing that, read. Don't take my word for it. Find some evidence.

Then, if you really want to give it a fair trail, eliminate all carbs for a couple of months (if you don't know what contains carbs, find out. Most vegetables (except green) have moe than people realise, for example). Then see what happens.

I've never had weight problems but have experimented heavily to test all that I've learned and can tell you from personal experience carbs increase hunger AND make weight gain easy etc. Replacing them mostly with fat means eating many more calories but not gaining weight (within reason).

I think you didn't quite complete the line highlighted in red.
The rest are acceptable.

Back