Heater recommendations

I need a nifty stand-alone heater for winter.

I'm a heat seeker. I break down in the cold. For this reason, I need a a heater that will really pump out the heat, the sort that burns your skin when you sit in front of it for too long. None of this moderate warming nonsense.

Secondly, I'd like something which is relatively energy efficient. I have a perfectly fine heater but I want to replace it because it gobbles energy and costs a fortune.

Any suggestions?

All regular electric heaters are 100% efficient (unless you're a pedant or physicist) - spilit system aircon used as heating can be 200-300%. Having said this, a room can be warm by a thermometer but not comfortable - I suspect that ones that deliver more concentrated heat (like a fan heater) might be worse in this respect. I prefer oil filled rads myself - slower warm up but good steady warmth once there.

portable reverse cycle airconditioner
up to 300% efficiency,
(3xmore heat output than electrical input, they dont create heat, they use power to move the heat from one place to another, 0[sup]0[/sup]C contains 93% of the extractable heat as 20[sup]0[/sup]C)​
ordinary heaters have a max efficiency of 100% (and never reach it 99.9recurring)[noparse][joke](note:pedant not fizzy-cyst)[/joke][/noparse]
so cheaper to run
put the output along the floor, and put a rug on any hard floor so you dont feel the cold floor, especially as insulation in Aus is hopeless, and there often isnt any insulation in the floor

ditto Tony filled rads, feel great, but electric resistance heating - anything is $$$
our Canadian home has water filled cast iron radiators, water pumped through from a central boiler, mmmmmm

something like http://www.dimplex.com.au/catalog/dc10rc
or http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...ble+reverse+cycle&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

not any particular brands come to mind

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.

I think I'm going to go with the portable reverse cycle - a nice blast of heat but more economical than a regular heater. Will also be helpful in summer for cooling.

Thanks Bob - I didn't even know reverse cycles could be portable :eek:

Snow worries

learnt a LOT about heating over the last years, trying to keep the igloo warm

anybody want info, jjust ask
sadly, Aus is far out of date on heat and insulation

Back