Help ASAP

Hi Everyone,

I need legal help ASAP.

I signed rent contract with Ray White Mackay and
paid bond and 2 weeks of rent.

Lease should start yesterday on 27 of December.
We travelled 400 Ks to meet agent and get keys to move in.
She never arrived, phone switched off,no one can confact her.
They couldn't find spare keys aswell.
So I stuck in Mackay with no house,cancelled removalist truck,services not connected,etc.
Their office is closed til 2 of Jan.

What can I do? Break lease and look for new place?
I must start my new job on 2 of Jan !

Looks like I will go back to Emerald (400 ks)til it's sorted.

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I need legal help ASAP.

I signed rent contract with Ray White Mackay and
paid bond and 2 weeks of rent.

Lease should start yesterday on 27 of December.
We travelled 400 Ks to meet agent and get keys to move in.
She never arrived, phone switched off,no one can confact her.
They couldn't find spare keys aswell.
So I stuck in Mackay with no house,cancelled removalist truck,services not connected,etc.
Their office is closed til 2 of Jan.

What can I do? Break lease and look for new place?
I must start my new job on 2 of Jan !

Looks like I will go back to Emerald (400 ks)til it's sorted.

Thanks

Who is "they" who couldn't find the spare keys? If the agency is closed, I'm wondering who looked for the spare keys.

Can you go to the council, explain your situation and get the owner's contact details? Not sure if that can be done, but worth a try.

Do you have a copy of the contract. If you can get hold of the emergency contact as Rolf suggests, perhaps you need to get in a locksmith to re-key the place and move in (if you have the paperwork proving it is the right house, that you have paid two weeks rent up front and have paid the bond, and you have a legal right).

I would see this as no different to having to pay for an emergency repair and have the cost reimbursed later.

Why not call the Residential Tenancies Association in Brisbane right now and see what they suggest - 1300 366 311.

In case of emergency - break glass! :D

Ahhhh, Ray White Mackay! Spruik full page advertising in all the local rags about their 'flawless' property management! :p

pinkboy:cool:

Or Agent/Landlord pick up your temporary accomodation and storage costs until the problem is sorted. Liquidated damages claim in Qcat should do the trick.

Or Agent/Landlord pick up your temporary accomodation and storage costs until the problem is sorted. Liquidated damages claim in Qcat should do the trick.

I don't see how the landlord is liable in this case. They probably think the tenant has moved in and have no idea of the problem - that's what the property manager is there for.

This is shocking. I can feel your frustration. You should write to Ray white head office when it is all settled to make sure they pick up their act.

The plight of outsourcing property management. Should be managed flawlessly - however quite often isnt.

Were you able to contact the actual real estate agents office?

Hi guys sorry for delay but i had more problems to worry about.

Back to the story: we moved in next day. breaking in wasn't the option because I need to destroy 2 doors and live like that for a while.no thanks.

I rang every phone number on their website and only 2 girls tried to help.
One of them was away but made few phone calls but second refused to help from the start and only after third attempt came to the office and found key which was wrong one anyway. i sent email to the principal who is Africa atm and she said she can't help but sent couple of emails.

We didn't want to drive back for 5 hours and stayed overnight in sarina, next day same story no answer.we were just about to drive back when i got phone call from one of the property managers that they went thru all draws and found keys.

The question is what should I do now?

Back