Help! Computer problem - Infested with "SecuritySystem"

Help! I think I have a virus/trojan/worm (whatever the heck is correct term!!), and I cant seem to get rid of it... Consists of constant "System Security" pop-ups with dire warnings I have a security problem, my credit card details are being hacked, even when I first boot up a fake (I think!) system scan that supposedly find 100s of virus, trojans etc..and pop-ups asking me if I want to run a visus scan...etc etc..it is constant, and driving me crazy!:eek:

I have AVG, Adaware, Spybot etc and I am running scans, but it taking hours, so as yet none of the scans has finished...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,
Nadia

scam

Sounds like a common scam.

The sure way to get rid of the problem(s) is to format the computer.

Otherwise google the exact name of the program it wants you to purchase. Look for one that speaks about it as a virus and the steps required to remove it, I've do this for friends before and sometimes they can be stubborn.

Should go without saying but don't purchase their product.

If you want more detailed help pm me the message from the virus/trojan.

Thanks to you all - especially Weg, for the tip about Malwarebytes. I downloaded Malwarebytes, and after nearly 5 hours of scanning it turned up over 30 infections..I rebooted and all seems good now. Search and Destroy also ran for 41/2 hrs, then crashed as it was removing the 11 threats it found.

Man, what a PITA, and massive waste of time. Who comes up with these bloody things? And what do they get out of it? Bank details etc I presume?

Anyway thanks for your help - I'm glad I could figure it out on my own without having to get the IT guy in :)

Nadia

Can I highly recommend you not to use Internet Explorer for day to day surfing. there are to many cases of malware being installed on machines
just by visiting a website when using IE. http://www.australianit.news.com.au/stor/0,24897,24817512-15306,00.html

I would highly recommend running Firefox (www.firefox.com) it is free to download and use. Then get a plugin called Noscript that prevents scripts from running on your machine. you can allow scripts to run on a case by case basis.

unfortunately there is no standard as to what spyware or malware is.
In this case I would backup everything up and reinstall the OS & apps.
Set up an administrator and user account and only use the user account to do work in. to many people do their day to day work with administrator rights which again makes it to easy to install rouge software on.

Hi Monty,

Thanks for the reply, I already do use Firefox, but will have to look into the NoScript plugin (whatever that is!! Will need to get educated :confused::eek:)

We are going to get a new computer in the New Year, and will have to get a pro to set it up properly. Thanks for the tips.

Cheers,
Nadia

Back