Help! Dishwasher needs replacing

Hi All,

I am a newbie poster to the forum but a viewer over the last 6 months. One of our IP's has a dishwasher that looks like it needs replacing. The tennant explained that it was leaking water and once they cleaned it up they tried to see if was still working and heard two popping noises and then dead. We got a technician to look at it and he mentioned the PC Board is deceased and needs replacing (approx $200-$300 and then more if leaking still). It is 7 years old and i think any money spent would be better spent on a new one. My question is does any forumites have any feedback on a robust, IP freindly, cost effective dishwasher?

Cheers

We recently bought a new dishwasher for PPOR, and were highly recommended a Bosch brand. Apparantly really well made but quietly (in terms of marketing) so.

For an IP, go for a dishwasher that is simple to operate - the push button kind, rather than the electronic ones. The simpler it is to operate, the less likely you are to have a tenant break it unintentionally. You can pick up a new Bosch for around $800 at the Good Guys, but if you have the time, you could look around auction houses etc, and probably get something cheaper.

Good luck.
Lily

There was a re-call of i think electrolux/manufactured brands, and other re badged versions, check it out first.
Yep , buy a newie!

My PM has just arranged for a reconditioned Miele dishwasher to go into my IP for $600 installed. 12 month warranty.

"Choice" sometimes has product reviews online free (sometimes they charge though)

Do a search on their website. Articles usually have good info about features to look for even if you don't buy according to the brands they recommend.

I have had some fancy overseas brands that have been included in new homes and have had nothing but problems with. Also have a Simpson that is only 2 years old and the crummy plastic rack holder/brackets just keep breaking every 6 mths. The property is not near me so a tech has to fix . Usually $100 +.

I have had dishlex before and had no problem. Go for the ones with only the rotary dial and NO fancy electronic programs. They tend to last longer and cheaper to repair. Electronic controls seem to get one fault and need a whole new switch circuit board:D

Good Guys Simple dishlex around $ 500 to $600.
Don't forget to write the old one off if it is in depreciation schedule and add the new one. (See ya accountant)

Hope this helps

Gee Cee

Greg

Thanks heaps for the input. I will check choice online and keep in mind the dial vs electronic. I was also wondering if i could claim on insurance?

Cheers

Don't think you will get much out of insurance. 7 year old dishwasher that just breaks down really does not come to me as a insurance claim. If the place burnt down then maybeeeeee? Otherwise just DEAD:eek:

I am not a insurance specialialist but after reading Sooooo Mannnnnnyyyy POLICIES think you will not get a claim.

ANY OTHER OPINIONS APPRECIATED :eek:

Gee Cee

Paying Insurance for JUST IN CASE:(

also, I would pay the extra sixty bucks or so and get the extended warranty. Usually is about an extra 5 years, so if you can get one with a 3 year warranty, you should be right for up to 8 years. :)

Based on Choice reviews I purchased a $400 Conia cheapy from K-Mart - for my PPOR no less, but Choice ranked it right up there with the $800-1000 dishwashers. Not a bad dishwasher for the price, it cleans everything we put to it provided you don't stack it too tightly, and we don't rinse anything before stacking.

It does have a few little issues however which were making me think Choice was full of it before we figured them out ie don't use more powder than the scoop provided with the dishwasher or everything still has powder on it. Make sure the top tray engages with the water hole thing at the back of the dishwasher when shutting it, or the top tray doesn't clean and the top tray can be adjusted to two heights. It also comes at the default lower height so no larger plates will fit until you figure out how to adjust it. It also looks a little cheap - stainless steel but with plastic front around the dials.

I have had dishlex before and had no problem. Go for the ones with only the rotary dial and NO fancy electronic programs. They tend to last longer and cheaper to repair. Electronic controls seem to get one fault and need a whole new switch circuit board:D
Bump :)

Can anyone else recommend the dishlex brand? Or know of another reliable brand for around the $500-600 mark? thanks

My son bought a Dishlex and is most unhappy with it. It's quite small inside and he has adjusted everything to maximum height for plates and still has trouble. It's very plasticky and light.

I've got a Whirlpool - about 10 years now that has never skipped a beat.

In reality I think it's just luck of the draw so get the extended warranty just in case.

Thanks Battler, will look out for a Simpson.
In reality I think it's just luck of the draw so get the extended warranty just in case.
I think you're right.. I'll definitely take the extended warranty. Gee Cee's comment about the expensive Euro brands doesn't inspire me with much confidence..

I have been selling whitegoods for the past 7 years and can highly recomend the Bosch, ( or if the budget allows) Miele. The new model Bosch machines are some of the quietest, best washing and most reliable on the market (see Choice Magazine.) You will find that there are no longer any Manual rotary dials left on the market. All the current 'dials' that you will see are electronic behind the dial. The Electrolux owned brands (westinghouse, Dishlex, AEG and Electrolux) are no where near the quality that they used to be. For greater peace of mind, buy a extended warranty. Am certainly able to advice on any other whitegood items such as ovens, cook tops washing machines etc; it's my speciality!

thanks Oink, I had a look at some washers today and have narrowed it down to either a dishlex, stainless steel, 6yr warranty for $800 delivered, or a bosch, ss, 6yr warranty for $1200 delivered. Sorry didn't note the model numbers, but you may be able to tell?

I'm thinking if a tenant is going to be abusive with the washer it won't make any difference if it's a $800 machine or a $1200 machine, they're still going to break it.. after all they both have a 6yr warranty.

Do you still think the $400 difference is worth it? thanks

worst appliances

we had to buy two new ones recently; subscribed to CHoice for 1 month, and basically dishwashers are the most UNreliable appliance in the home, and unless you are going to pay BIG money, an extended warranty is the best bet

Dishwasher Dilemma

Get a damaged or runout model - some people want the latest and greatest we bought a bosch for PPOR for around $700 and the only difference between that and the next model ($1300) was a temp display(so what). $600 saved! Some people want the latest just get the cheapest with a good guarantee/warrantee the tenants wont give tinkers cuss about brands.

Bosch did rate well in Choice

Mum's is a Bosch and stopped draining. Repair chap said door control was around $150 to replace electronics and at base of machine the electronics were $400 to replace (or something like that).

With his opinion helping me I decided to ditch it and he recommended dishlex or Westinghouse (I think). He said call outs to European washers were just as common and frequent as call outs to the "cheapies" and he said "don't pay extra for a European brand".

Having said that we have an asko and I love it. It is quiet and I would buy another asko on a blink. When my asko front loader finally died I got a Bosch which I don't like nearly as much. Asko next time for me.

thanks Oink, I had a look at some washers today and have narrowed it down to either a dishlex, stainless steel, 6yr warranty for $800 delivered, or a bosch, ss, 6yr warranty for $1200 delivered. Sorry didn't note the model numbers, but you may be able to tell?

I'm thinking if a tenant is going to be abusive with the washer it won't make any difference if it's a $800 machine or a $1200 machine, they're still going to break it.. after all they both have a 6yr warranty.

Do you still think the $400 difference is worth it? thanks
Hi VB, go with the Bosch. All of their models are of the same quality, just more bells and whistles as you go up the range. People will start to see with the current Dishlex and Co machines that within the next 2 -4 yrs that they will just will not go the distance. Cetainly get the extended warranty in any case. I would agree with Gogetem that dishwashers as a group are the most unreliable of all the whitegood groups, so buy well!

Back