Help! Dishwasher needs replacing

We have a Dishlex in our PPOR that went in 10 years ago this Christmas. Never needed a service, never had a breakdown ( you watch, it will now ;))
The only comment I have about it is that it doesn't wash as queitly as it did when we first got it.

Don't think you will get much out of insurance. 7 year old dishwasher that just breaks down really does not come to me as a insurance claim. If the place burnt down then maybeeeeee? Otherwise just DEAD:eek:
Yep. A 7-year-old dishwasher is "fully depreciated". ;)

Hi VB, go with the Bosch. All of their models are of the same quality, just more bells and whistles as you go up the range. People will start to see with the current Dishlex and Co machines that within the next 2 -4 yrs that they will just will not go the distance. Cetainly get the extended warranty in any case. I would agree with Gogetem that dishwashers as a group are the most unreliable of all the whitegood groups, so buy well!

Hi Sir Oinks Alot - any thoughts on Blanco? I see heaps of these in new developments. Hear they're pretty average though.

Have always bought Dishlex since they first came out and never had a moments problem with them. Just bought a new one, bottom of the line with a dial instead of led, couldnt be happier. Found the 30 min wash cycle -marvellous. Paid $600 and bought the extended warranty

Hi Sir Oinks Alot - any thoughts on Blanco? I see heaps of these in new developments. Hear they're pretty average though.
Hi Harold, yes anything that goes into a development is cheap and nasty. There are some Blanco machines that aren't too bad, but for the same money, i'd go with Bosch. Avoid in developments anything to do with Omega products, period!

Hi Harold, yes anything that goes into a development is cheap and nasty. There are some Blanco machines that aren't too bad, but for the same money, i'd go with Bosch. Avoid in developments anything to do with Omega products, period!

Thanks for the tip :) Actually I've seen Omega a lot too in new development deals. Sometimes I just wish they would offer people vouchers and let buyers do their own thing.

I just moved out of a development that had spent money in all the wrong places, IMHO. It was a high-end property, and they'd spent money on stone benchtops for both bathrooms as well as the kitchen, soaring high ceilings, frameless shower screens, large balconies, polished stainless steel/mirror elevator, and several other things that suggest that significant expense was incurred.

But then they put in Technika appliances (the dishwasher leaked significantly from day 1, items emerged sopping wet, and the oven was even worse - incredibly uneven heat to the point where it was unusable) and ugly cheap oyster light fittings. For the sake of saving perhaps $1-2K per apartment - and this apartment sold for $980K whilst we were living there - they've substantially reduced the amenity of the property. The owners have just moved in - if they're smart, they'll put in some decent appliances (I'd reckon this would be first order of business once you've used them), and possibly change those ugly light fittings.

I agree Ozperp, that high end properties should have high end appliances.. and as a personal choice I'd prefer to use high end appliances even if the property I'm living in is low end.

But for the purpose of fitting out appliances for medium-low end investment properties, I'm getting the impression that the tenant only cares that it's functional.. and I don't think you'd get any more rent from having a $2000 miele instead of a $600 westinghouse... and when you have your low end appliance under a 6yr warranty, it really shouldn't matter.. it can be fully depreciated over this time anyway.

Another interesting thing I found was the extended warranty is cheaper (for the same period) for cheaper brands than the more expensive brands. If the more expensive brands are so confident in the quality of their product, why do they charge more for the same extended period? just money grabbing me thinks..

But for the purpose of fitting out appliances for medium-low end investment properties, I'm getting the impression that the tenant only cares that it's functional..
I agree with you exactly; my point was that the developer chose items that looked OK but they weren't EVEN functional!

someone was rabbiting on to me the other day about how good Miele is so I looked at the website. the prices blew me away. can anything be that good? or is it like a rolls royce? all price tag and bling but little practicality or quality

someone was rabbiting on to me the other day about how good Miele is so I looked at the website. the prices blew me away. can anything be that good? or is it like a rolls royce? all price tag and bling but little practicality or quality
Hi Ausprop, the difference with the Miele products is that they acutally pull at least 3 of every different model off the production line each day and then simulate a 20 year life time test to make sure each batch is up to sratch ( i dont even get a commision for selling them!) So you are paying for an item that has the greatest change of going the distance with the least chance of a service call. The bosch brand is the next in line testing their items for a 10 yr lifespan. No one else does this. Their parts arent that much more than most other brand. Just spoke to an agent today and he said the new Smeg oven control panels cost $1500 per board!! Fine when it's in warranty, but when it's out of warranty.....

Just spoke to an agent today and he said the new Smeg oven control panels cost $1500 per board!! Fine when it's in warranty, but when it's out of warranty.....
Lurve Smeg customer service - have had a series of experiences where they've exceeded my expectations.

1) Moved into a rental property about 11 years ago, couldn't figure out how to use Smeg appliances. Rang Smeg, was honest and said I was just a tenant, they not only sent me a manual for every appliance (dishwasher, oven, rangehood, etc), but also sent me a Smeg cookbook and invited me to their cooking classes - all free!

2) Had a Smeg oven break down at about 4 years old, out of warranty. Rang up to arrange repair, they asked how old it was, I said 3 or 4 years, they said "sure it wasn't under 2 years?", and I said "nah, definitely more like 4". They said "close enough, we'll do it under warranty".

3) Ordered a new Smeg oven just recently. No stock left in country, next boat not arriving until January. They brought out their demo model from the showroom and installed it (just as good as a new one, never used), and said that when "my" oven arrives in January, they'll bring me out a "really brand spanking new in the box one", and swap them over.

I guess given that I've now bought about $10K of Smeg appliances, it was a good business move - as well as good customer service - to send me those free manuals and cookbook all those years ago, hey?

Back