help getting a small job done

Carrying sheets upstairs sounds like a perfect set up for a bad back scam, no way me :(

I would contact a local RE agent or such and get a handyman or maybe look in local paper for yard cleaner/handyman, one of those do anything sort of blokes with insurance.

does his insurance really protect me? ide imagine if he had a claim against me the insurance would pay him and then come after me?

if it isnt permanent employment and i havnt been negligent (ie the oil example) and the helper is aware of the risks and what is required of them can i be sued?

btw handyman was $55h/r 400% is an unfair risk premium to me assuming his insurance will protect me.

Did you have the option of the plasterboard being delivered directly to the apt when it was originally delivered?

gyprock could do it there sheets were $17 each plush $170 delivered to my appartment

bunnings was $9.85 a sheet and they gave me a trailer to get them home.

i took the bunnings option.

Thre Gyprock option is the best unless you are experienced in handling plasterboard.

You went the cheap route but will now cost you more and all the worry (above) to boot....

Good luck.

next time :) I would pay the extra and have it delivered.

really you would pay a $450 premium to let them get it up the stairs? congrats you must be doing well, I myself am looking forward to a day when i can also afford such luxuries.

until then i guess im either forced to slowly bring them upstairs myself (got one upstairs today undamaged) or pay the $22 insurance plus $15hr for the labour.

anyone have any feedback on the policy or use it for protection themselves?

Thre Gyprock option is the best unless you are experienced in handling plasterboard.

You went the cheap route but will now cost you more and all the worry (above) to boot....

Good luck.

care to show how its going to cost more Ive got $450 to play with between the garage and my loungeroom.

LOL! Sounds like that ad for the guy who wants to rent a car and is asking the sales guy and girl about all these "what ifs?" in relation to an accident with the hire car.

There's billboards around the place now with the same guy on it saying "What if....this billboard falls on my car?" It's a classic; very clever.

You can apply that to just about every single day you walk out your front door, of course..

What if I get an electric shock form my computer replying to a post on a forum made by someone else ? Is that their fault too,I wouldn't have replied otherwise

:confused:

What if I get an electric shock form my computer replying to a post on a forum made by someone else ? Is that their fault too,I wouldn't have replied otherwise

mate let me know if you do, i can forward my insurance details for you and you can take it from there, for others scared of replying to my threads for fear of being injured dont worry im fully covered

Seems you have the answers to your questions...why ask?

Let us know the end result with how long it took and at what $ cost, including your time stuffing around.

It was a slow progression to finding the answers that came after i posted the thread but before you posted. by the time you had posted we had moved on to the risks involved in hiring help and how to control them.

What if....

I get a scoliosis in my spine from sitting at this computer posting mountains of useless diatribe (as I do :D)....nearly 7,00 items of cr@p!

Can I sue the maker of the chairs I sit on because they are too low/non ergonomic, or can I sue the maker of my computer for the screen being too high/too low for me to sit in an proper ergonomic position?

What if.... I could sue the Gubbmint for not supplying me with enough of a life of entertainment to get me away from this sorry place and out into the open air where I could be exercising and maybe get run over crossing the road, or choke on my fish and chips down at the foreshore?

Today i experimented with 10 sheets trying to work out if i need help or not the first few were tough and did get there corners a little crushed say about 2-3cm the whole job was very daunting to begin with and i really didnt think it would be possible.

earlier in the day my cars battery died and i had to hike 500m to battery world with my old battery and back with the new one so i was a little tired but after that i had figured out the geometry and technique of it all i was getting them up the stairs with absolutly no damage and very little effort including all the learning i think the 10 sheets took me 50min i honestly believe the next 10 will take alot less but dont really feel like doing more than 10 per day and wont be needing another 10 for a week or two.

from now on ill cut the boards that need it downstairs reducing the number of fullsized boards further.....conclusion the job itsnt the impossible mountain i thaught it would be wont be hiring anyone to do it for me. it really is a one man job with the limited space. anywho vs the gyprock option 4hrs max @ $450 is $112hr min dont think i can earn that sort of money even on xmas day, ill leave gyprock to be screwed by bunning so i can get my sheets cheap.

funniest thing was talking to gyprock about there prices vs bunning and are they prepared to negotiate i would have got it from them if it was a more realistic $12 a sheet say plus the handling there argument was bunnings plasterboard was the cheap imported type and there prices were firm, they must know they are bunnings plasterboard supplier so why BS me.

Back