Help Keep Banks Honest - please sign petition

I know that I might be living in a fantasy world but I want to send a message to the government. There is a government inquiry into competition in the home loan market at the moment. I want the bank to know that the voters (us) want them to act swiftly to maintain competition (majors now have 90% market share which is alarming). Anyway, I have put up a website and its all explained on it.

Please get as many people as possible to sign up. We need the power of the people!

Go to http://www.keepbankshonest.com.au/

Thanks

Stuart

By signing this petition, you confirm that you want the government to take immediate action to promote competition in the home loan market (which should hopefully keep the banks honest!). You want the government to do whatever it can to get the banks to reverse the independent rate hikes.

No thank you. I'd like the government to do whatever it can to keep it's nose out of the free market.

One of the problems is that smaller lenders do not have access to the same capital markets as the larger AA rated lenders - certainly not at the same cost. Therefore, particularly in this market, smaller lenders can't access funds to lend to customers (at least not at reasonable rates). Hence we have seen smaller lenders die. That's a problem.

The US and Canada have government sponsored agencies to assist smaller lenders access capital markets (government essentially guarantees return). This has worked well internationally and reduces the barriers to enter - thus keeping competition alive. Therefore, ABC Home Loans can raise money just like CBA.

To me, this sounds like a good idea but they need to do something fast.

What are your concerns ianvestor?

One of the problems is that smaller lenders do not have access to the same capital markets as the larger AA rated lenders - certainly not at the same cost. Therefore, particularly in this market, smaller lenders can't access funds to lend to customers (at least not at reasonable rates). Hence we have seen smaller lenders die. That's a problem.

The US and Canada have government sponsored agencies to assist smaller lenders access capital markets (government essentially guarantees return). This has worked well internationally and reduces the barriers to enter - thus keeping competition alive. Therefore, ABC Home Loans can raise money just like CBA.

To me, this sounds like a good idea but they need to do something fast.

What are your concerns ianvestor?

Okay, using what you've just said, let's apply that to groceries. My local corner store doesn't have the same buying power as Woolworths, so you think it's a good idea for the government to step in and let that corner store access wholesale groceries at the same price as Woolworths despite being a much smaller and less efficient business?

That stinks in my book.

Why shouldn't the big banks have greater access to funds? And why exactly do the smaller players who haven't been around as long think that they should be entitled to the same deal?

How would you like it if you built up a business to a point where you enjoyed favourable deals with suppliers and then the government decided it's all 'unfair' so we are going to let all your competitors get the same wholesale deals as you.

What a crock.

-Ian

That's your view.

What's worse? The government leveling the playing field or no competition in the home loan market? I know which I would prefer.

I agree. I don't think its a perfect outcome but 'not doing anything' is going to be worse in my view. The big banks can still enjoy their competitive advantage - i.e. economies of scale, branch network, product suite...

At the moment, barriers to competition are too high.

That's your view.

Correct.

What's worse? The government leveling the playing field or no competition in the home loan market? I know which I would prefer.

Me too :rolleyes:

I don't think its a perfect outcome but 'not doing anything' is going to be worse in my view.

Completely disagree. Give me a lazy government any day over one that comes in and stinks up the place.

Too high for what? That sounds very subjective.

That's your view.

I agree. I don't think its a perfect outcome but 'not doing anything' is going to be worse in my view. The big banks can still enjoy their competitive advantage - i.e. economies of scale, branch network, product suite...

Stuart,tell that to all the "HIGH END" super funds managers that bought into the Banks prior too oct 2007,also tell that to al the Banks Shareholders i'm quite sure they would buy your book it's going to be a very fine balancing act for the Banks to keep everyone happy,but the bottom line is Australia is not a "COMMONIST" country and without the Banks lending money in the first place,who else lends money??,i knew that cheap money would never last,you will get nowhere by knocking the Banks as all who work in the M-B industry will find out later this year..willair..

I'm not bank bashing. I just want smaller lenders to survive as they have played a key role in the Aussie market since the early 90's when Aussie John started. In the absence of the small lenders, our market would be worse off in my opinion.

Another point is the free market was working just fine because smaller lenders could access funds via securitisation. However, that market is now pretty much closed which has causes a problem.

I'm not bank bashing. I just want smaller lenders to survive as they have played a key role in the Aussie market since the early 90's when Aussie John started. In the absense of the small lenders, our market would be worse off in my opinion.
Interesting you bring up Aussie John as he sits in his 50 million$ property in Point Piper,reading through his new employment contract that he signed with the CBA late last week after they bought a minority slice in his company, makes you think who's money is it in the first place with the market share the CBA now control,and from what i'm told there are several others on the Banks radar over the next few months,that alone blows your book out off the water,and yes i invest in several banks,not that means anything,look at the big picture because the global credit crisis is only half way through the :rolleyes:minefields..IMHO..willair..

Let's compete with the system ourselves!

How a New Money Might Become Established

But there is a limit to the extent to which governments can control, either
morally, legally or practically, the accounting practices and trading conventions
of private enterprisers. Herein lies the key to the liberation of exchange. As
Hayek puts it:

“The exclusive right to issue the tokens that serve as legal tender for
the discharge of obligations contracted in terms of them does not
preclude the use of credit accounts in other units as a general means
of exchange. … The difference would be that the accounts would be
denominated in terms of monetary units over which governments had
no control and which, therefore, would be likely to maintain a constant
value.” (ibid p. 330) (emphasis added)

“…once credit accounts in a stable unit are provided by some institutions,
governments could hardly prevent the development of credit cards that,
with the consent of both parties, instantly converted the amount due in
a local currency into its equivalent, at the current rate, of a stable unit.
Debtor and creditor would know that a certain amount of purchasing
power would be due by or to them within a fixed period.

Although governments would probably long resist the use within their territory of
any hand-to-hand money other than their own, they could hardly long
prevent such use of credit cards. I have little doubt that as soon as such
stable private units were available, the issuers of credit cards would
be well advised to use them. Indeed, I believe that it will be through
the credit card rather than through any kind of circulating token money
that the government monopoly of the issue of money will ultimately be
broken. It is a money governments cannot confiscate when it is carried
across frontiers and scarcely even when claims in terms of it are held
by the recipient.” (ibid p. 333)

Recognizing now that money is merely information, it becomes clear that a private
alternative monetary unit could easily be defined at any time. All it would take
is for an individual or group to publish its definition. The next step in the use of
such money would simply amount to keeping accounts in terms of the new unit.
This would pose little difficulty since the value of any existing currency could
be converted according to the definition, just as foreign currencies are equated to
one another now. Traders agreeing to keep their accounts and draw contracts in
terms of the new unit could also agree to settle their accounts periodically using
established legal tender money, the value of which would probably be declining
over time relative to the new stable monetary unit. For this reason, they would
probably eventually find some better means of settling their accounts, one which
does not require them to go into the market for official currency, the value of
which is beyond their control.

http://circ2.home.mindspring.com/Money_and_Debt_Part1_lo.PDF

http://circ2.home.mindspring.com/Money_and_Debt_Part2_lo.PDF

http://circ2.home.mindspring.com/Money_and_Debt_Part3_lo.PDF

Pie in the sky? Not when you think about it!

All that has been happening for years, especially recently with online currencies such as e-gold. However just as in the case of e-gold, it can all go sour when the directors are charged with money laundering and holders of the currency lose everything as the 'unit' gradually ceases to exist.

Hi Stuart,

There’s much less competition amongst lenders now as compared with twelve months ago – I agree with you on this. However, there is still enough competition to prohibit any lenders the freedom to simply name their price.

Margins have improved for the remaining players, however, the prevailing interest rates are ultimately set by the RBA. They, and only they, have the power to squeeze or relax funding as required.

If the RBA sees a need for the banks to drop their rates, they can achieve this by adjusting the official cash rate. If at first it doesn’t work, they can adjust further. The point will be reached soon enough where competition for market share will bring about cheaper rates.

I’m not saying that our banking system is perfect but it has weathered the storm relatively well (so far anyway). I see no need for intervention from the government.

If you’re concerned about ballooning bank margins, then this can be turned around in your favour by purchasing bank shares (which are on special at the moment).

Regards - Ben

If St George can delay a rate cuts by nearly one month (i.e. it's 0.30% doesn't kick in until 29 Sept), then this is telling me there's not enough competition. This time it’s one month. What happens next time?

There is next to no product innovation in Australian (compared to UK market) – another hallmark of low competition.

If major banks get 95% market share, what happens then? The market is "okay" now but its moving in the wrong direction.

It took 10 years for small lenders to grab 10% of the market. This can unwind very quickly.

Most of you guys seem very comfortable. I hope you're right. I am far less comfortable.

It might take 1 to 2 years for this sub-prime related issues to right themselves. Many small lenders won’t survive this amount of time.

When do we react? When market share is 95%, 99%? Or now?

If St George can delay a rate cuts by nearly one month (i.e. it's 0.30% doesn't kick in until 29 Sept), then this is telling me there's not enough competition. This time it’s one month. What happens next time?

If major banks get 95% market share, what happens then? The market is "okay" now but its moving in the wrong direction.

It might take 1 to 2 years for this sub-prime related issues to right themselves. Many small lenders won’t survive this amount of time.
The reality is if you compare apples with apples and work out for yourself the costs with long-term debt compared with short-term funding you may have a better idea on what's happening, but the bottom line is some have very poor bargaining power over the next few years, if the market goes down the road i think it will. willair.

There is next to no product innovation in Australian (compared to UK market) – another hallmark of low competition.

I'm not in the game, so I obviously aren't fully up to speed with it all.....but to my naive way of thinking, Banks only sell one product - cash. I don't know how many ways one can wrap it up, but usually it comes in the form of a bank cheque, or an electronic transfer, or maybe even the folding stuff, but she's always cash.

If they sell anything else, I'm all ears.

Back