Help! Kelvinator air con suddenly not working

I have an old Kelvinator air conditioning. Not sure what the model is since I have lost the manual, but from the remote control I can see some code looking like the model number: 6711A20012M.

A few weeks ago the remote control died while the air con was on. I thought this was because of the battery, so, I went on to replace the battery, and tried to turn off the air con, buttttt....it didn't work, the air con was still on no matter how many times I pressed on/off to turn it off using the remote. I had to turn off the switch to finally turn off the air con.

However, ever since, I could no longer turn on the air con for some reason. The remote control seems to be working fine, as I checked it with my phone's camera and I could see the infra red was flashing whenever I pressed on/off. I have tried to turn on/off the switch and pressed on/off on the remote multiple times, but it did not work. It seems like the problem lies with the air con itself, probably the infra red signal receiver is broken and it can no longer detect the signal sent by the remote.

I am not sure if the air con can be turned on/off manually without the remote, but I couldn't see any buttons attached to the air con to do this. So I am assuming using the remote is the only way to turn on/off the air con.

I was wondering if anyone can suggest what I can do in this case? I am looking to repair everything by myself if possible to save money, but I have no experience this sort of thing before, but I am willing to try.

If not, can anyone suggest any good repair man who I can contact to come to have a look and repair the air con (it is out warranty obviously)? How much does it normally cost to fix this kind of problem?

Thanks!

www.fixya.com
try this, my husband finds it very useful

Sometimes they also lose their remote code.
If it is resettable to different remotes there will be somewhere on the air con panel a reset button usually so far recessed, that you have to push it with a pencil in a hole.This is somewhere close to the receiving dot. If it has one, push and hold it with a pencil,presh the remote's power on/off button. If it turns on release the pencil.

If the power spike is a little more intense it won't erase the code, it may fry the board. You may then need to replace the receiver board.

If it doesn't have a hole or a reset button,then it's newer than ours...and he doesn't know (my husband)

www.fixya.com
try this, my husband finds it very useful

Sometimes they also lose their remote code.
If it is resettable to different remotes there will be somewhere on the air con panel a reset button usually so far recessed, that you have to push it with a pencil in a hole.This is somewhere close to the receiving dot. If it has one, push and hold it with a pencil,presh the remote's power on/off button. If it turns on release the pencil.

If the power spike is a little more intense it won't erase the code, it may fry the board. You may then need to replace the receiver board.

If it doesn't have a hole or a reset button,then it's newer than ours...and he doesn't know (my husband)

Thanks kathryn.

Hmmm, it sounds touchy and I think need to get some one to look into it since I don't have the experience and I am afraid I will just break more things if I do it.

Do you know how much does it normally cost to get a professional come to fix it? Do you know anyone to recommend?

Thanks.

Thanks kathryn.

Hmmm, it sounds touchy and I think need to get some one to look into it since I don't have the experience and I am afraid I will just break more things if I do it.

Do you know how much does it normally cost to get a professional come to fix it? Do you know anyone to recommend?

Thanks.

Sorry, Rob doesn't know who you should call.

Back