HELP! My solicitor failed to warn me?

the body corporate is just the other owners though. Would you sue the body corporate manager? Is it the same company?

Hi guys....the engineer's report was done in 2005. A safety inspection was done in 2008.

I am really worried I have bought something I can't sell. The engineer's report and other stuff did not show up when I did my strata records search. But it's sure as hell showng up now. The building might not be about to fall down, but who wants to buy into a place and incur hefty repair costs?

Here are some excerpts from the report:

"There is significant chance of structural collapse of a section of the blade pier at the southwestern corner of the building [this is the pier holding up an external straicase]. It is recommended that this pier be demolished and rebuilt"

"Lineal beams supporting the north edge of the roofline over the balcony area in Unit 5 were deflecting significantly. The excessive deflections are indicative of inadequately sized timber framing elements. It is recommended this be rectified by the installation of appropriately designed and supported supplementary roof framing members".

As already mentioned by Lizzie - serious but covering.

Structural collapse of what, the stair case. Report dove in 2005 and stairs still standing. Doesn't seem too serious if 7 years later stairs are still standing.

Deflection of beam. Most probably has been like that since built and it was first loaded. If it has not deflected further than not a serious problem.

Cheers

PS neither of these items are covered by insurance so don't see how relevant the insurance comment is

Structural collapse of what, the stair case. Report dove in 2005 and stairs still standing. Doesn't seem too serious if 7 years later stairs are still standing.

Someone just advised that the stairs are not structurally safe. So what if they haven't collapsed? If they DO collapse and someone gets hurt, what excuse are you giving the court for not fixing things? What argument are you going to give your insurer who might refuse your liability claim on the basis that you ignored a known fault?

Deflection of beam. Most probably has been like that since built and it was first loaded. If it has not deflected further than not a serious problem.

Timber tends to creep over time. The deflection observed when the beam is first loaded is not representative of the final deflection.

Even ordinary building inspections can sound more sinister than they actually are.

Agreed. Too much a$$ covering going on.

I found the same with car inspections, the report makes them sound like a lemon and never anywhere near as bad when you get the 'verbal version' over the phone.

Back