Help needed to get Parnet Interested in IP's

Help needed to get Partner Interested in IP's

Hi all
Help needed to get Partner Interested in IP's
This one I have been trying for a while now.
I have put Jans book in front of her.
Fwd the link for Rixters wonderful post about Stratagy. Shown her some of Nathons posts. Also other ones about multiple buys in no time, Brenda Irwins for eg.
Got her involved in the 4th IP we have amost got settled.
Shown her the spread sheets I have which are varied, one for comapring possible buys, another showing the money we make now.
On & On I could go.
We need a different car as the 5 of us don't fit in the one we have now, now I feel as If I have gone backwards as she said this to me,
"how will we be able to buy a new car if you keep buying Properties?"
I have read on here where many of you have gone through this before, I am looking for a step by step plan to get her in a position where she can appreciate where I hope to go with this, my beleif is that I can not rely on Super for my Pension.
I got a buy and never sell stratagy going, 62% LVR with a good DSR, and this includes the newest 4th IP. I have P&I loans, and am concentrating on Paying No. 1 off 1st.
Admission, her mind is presently occupied with 5 month old twins, but her interest has been the same Since I have known her.

Suggestions, what to try next.

Thanks
Dave

PS. It is not a shinny new car we're considering, 4 - 5 yrs old.

Last edited:
Some parnets just aren't interested....neither are some parents ;):D

Regards
Marty
Lol. That'll teach me to not read the post properly. I thought you were trying to get your parent interested in investing.

Ah, just cracked myself up.

Regards
Marty

Now that I have read that post (Great Post!), I can honestly say that:
My Better half is better then me at scoalising, she is more confident and to be honest, is smarter then me.
I have seen her in action at her work place, she is good at what she turns her attention to and is very good at what she does.
If I had to come home to work in Aus, she'd easily make more money then me.
I just need a very small amount of her attention to detail interested in IP's.
Why, I need her help basicaly, she's better at it then me, easily better. Now that I hope to expand what we are doing, management is going to be the key.
This is her domain, I fix things.

If she's "better at it" than you, why don't you trust her judgement? It is just possible that there may be better times than now to invest and she knows it.

If the family is still young, buy the car.

Allmine:
Now that I have read that post (Great Post!), I can honestly say that:
My Better half is better then me at scoalising, she is more confident and to be honest, is smarter then me.
I have seen her in action at her work place, she is good at what she turns her attention to and is very good at what she does.
If I had to come home to work in Aus, she'd easily make more money then me.

Hey! Allmine, congratulations to you seeing the big picture on property investing, seriously, there are hard yards, research, learning and all the goodies of it ...the nitty gritty been done by you. It appears you got the "bug"....:)

That is something, it is something wonderful to assess your life and say I want to do better, and here is a reasonably handy way to do that.

Credit to you, and you are racking up number 4? I want you to know How happy and proud I am for you doing all this, with what appears to be so little support/comprehension in a hands on sense from your partner..

Please don't take yourself down a path of believing someone else being smarter, earning more money or better at some stuff than you, look what you've done, created and doing, I think YOU are very clever, smart, and creating unselfishly a fantastic future, your partner is one lucky woman...we all have our strengths and specialities...repeat after me: "Allmine Rocks"

I have P & I loans, and am concentrating on Paying No. 1 off 1st. Why not swap to I/O and buy the new second hand car.

Admission, her mind is presently occupied with 5 month old twins, but her interest has been the same Since I have known her. She is busy enough are you helping her enough with twins?

Suggestions, what to try next. Nothing, just get on with what you are doing and stop trying to flog a dead horse - she has other things on her mind.

My hubby is not really interested in our IP's although he will do the repair work etc. He may offer to build a fence and when its time to build the fence - he can't be bothered so I pay a fencer.

But he does sign on the dotted line when I ask him too.

Cheers
Sheryn

That has got to be the most spelling mistake and innapropriate grammar ridden piece of a post I have ever read. :eek:

PS. This should be moved to the Psychology Section....:)

Basically if it depends on if it is just disinterest (in which case she may or may not change her mind and get interested - but either way you can continue to proceed), complete disagreement (in which case, you two need to compromise - which does not just mean changing her mind, but also maybe scaling back your ideas), or a lack of understanding (in which case maybe a trip to a financial advisor or accountant so she can hear from a 'professional' that proceeding is a good finncial disicion (sp?) for specific reasons).

My DH is really on board with the whole investment thing, however he doesn't always 'get' where I am coming from, or will say he understands what I am saying but then display a complete misunderstanding of what I have said. One of the best things I ever done was to go to a financial advisor with him. The financial advisor did not tell me anything new (although they did change my mind in regards to IO loans), but It was a great way to make sure DH and I were on the same page, and DH came out of there withh a lot more understanding. Sometimes they just need to hear the same thing from someone else before they will beleive you.

My mother on the other hand is not interested AT ALL in ANY investment or such, so my dad will explain things, but she just does not care or understand because she doesn't want to. She lets dad get onn with what he does, but will occaisionally make comments such as you partner did. Nothing you can do to get my mum interested - Dad just explains again, and then moves on.

If however someone is in total disagreement, well that is a whole other ballpark, which no-one can sort out but you too. It takes compromise. Having said that, I have always believed that in any good relationship, It takes two 'yes's to do something, but only one 'no' to stop it. You can 'force' someone else to share your veiws. And you cannot force them to agree with you or be involved with something they don't want.

At the end of the day, not everyone is cut out for property investment, no matter their intelligence. And it is better to face up to that earlier rather then finding out later.

Good luck.

That has got to be the most spelling mistake and innapropriate grammar ridden piece of a post I have ever read. :eek:

OK, No excuse realy, but I was tired when I did this.
Please except my most humble apologies.

If she's "better at it" than you, why don't you trust her judgement? It is just possible that there may be better times than now to invest and she knows it.

If the family is still young, buy the car.

Just trying to steer her talents into IP's, she has no interest for the moment.
I have the money for the car put asside, then once the existing car is sold, that saved money will be replaced.

Remember me? I'm the kid they chucked out of school.:)

I think they did me a favour, and I think you can't spell inappropriate:eek:

Most means multiple and mistake is singular. :eek:

Suggestions, what to try next.

Maybe ask her dead-pan style how she's going to spend her remaining years on such a measly old age pension, if it's still even going then. Bread & water? Or rice & water?:eek:

After a sufficient silence for her to think it over offer if maybe she would like to come with you on your overseas trip/yacht/adventure/sea-change etc instead....:rolleyes:

Maybe ask her dead-pan style how she's going to spend her remaining years on such a measly old age pension,
Jeeez Jazza, that's tough. Here's a young mother of twins, already with investments, and you are condemning her to the work-house if she dares take her mind of "more property" for long enough to enjoy her children.

Maybe time to read A Christmas Carol.

Just accept it is a one horse race, that is how it is in our house and many other posters on here are doing it alone due to partner disinterest, thats why we all need each other here on the forum where we have a common interest!

Jeeez Jazza, that's tough. Here's a young mother of twins, already with investments, and you are condemning her to the work-house if she dares take her mind of "more property" for long enough to enjoy her children.

Maybe time to read A Christmas Carol.

You'll be happy to Know that when I am home from work, I do help with the 3 children as much as possible. Including the Midnight feeds, take 2 of them with me to the supermarket, etc.

Where not as young as we'd like to think we are, just past 40 now.

Well, thanks to this and that other post, also what some lads here at work have said, I now have a plan.
She has always wanted "an OLD house to fix up", given we have $350k spending money from the bank still, I'll get her to find one for us to have a look at. Then possibly buy it, this should trigger her intrest. Good thing is, there should be lots of change out of 350k to.
Sorry about my bad spelling once again, although I have had a good lol out of it now.

Wanna bet?

I know another poster here who hasn't once ever gotten either spelling, grammar, or sentence and paragraph structure even remotely close to correct.

GRrrrrr :D

Back