Help! - Student Accomodation Regulation in NSW

Dear everyone,

I am currently renting out rooms in a house to students in NSW. Does anyone know what are the council/government regulations in setting up a legal student accomodation/boarding house? There are six people in six bedrooms in my case with two bathrooms in the house.

Thanks in advance, I really want to do this properly and lawfully. :)

That's a great link... never seen this document before but it has really good info! I have been thinking about doing the same so it's very helpful - thank you very much!

yep, gotta be careful

Yeah i'de check on the regulations pretty thoroughly. We had a student house investment which was sold earlier this year and getting fire approval took awhile.

I'de also look into the insurance side of things as most insurers and policies won't cover a student house with seperate tenants and leases. We used http://studentaccommodationinsurance.com.au/ for our property after getting advice from a friend and I would suggest giving them a call.

Either contact the town planner at council or contact a private town planner as every council area will have its own specific regulations regards to boarding houses/student accommodation. I noticed that there have been a few new developments in Summer Hill being classed as boarding houses - supposed to have live-in manager, common areas, kitchenettes in each room, smoke detectors/fire doors to each unit, disabled access etc.

The main pieces of legislation will be the council's DCP, zoning, and the Building Code of Australia.

@Propertunity - that document is just such a great find. I'm kind of thinking about a student accommodation property and came here just to find that link.

I'll be using that for years thanks for the heads up

Back