Help Tula spend $700-$750K of the bank's money :)

But most importantly.

What kind of development did your friend use in order to do a feasibility on the development before purchase to ensure they would actually make money and not overpay?

I would also be interested on the end value they used for multis if going down that path.

Cheers.

so would i. i think people are going to be in for a bit of a rude shock if theyre using soem of the high prices obtained for multis in belmont last year as an indication of what they get in the next year or so.

belmont

What was the purchase price?

But most importantly.

What kind of development did your friend use in order to do a feasibility on the development before purchase to ensure they would actually make money and not overpay?

I would also be interested on the end value they used for multis if going down that path.

HD_ACE and sanj

He did not do any feasibility and to my knowledge not too much DD. He is just at the point in his life were he wanted to buy a development property (he earns a fortune as a supervisor up North). He did want a splitter, build at the back and reno the front. So I was looking in the areas I know for that product.

He just msg me this morning and mentioned he grabbed this one. Not what I would have grabbed but really keen to hear peoples views on it. As I haven't looked as this area really closely. Just read what what other people post on here and the occasional real-estate.com check

Thank you for the replies so far :)

good lord. people like that are the ones pushing prices up to crazy levels. more dollars than sense if buying devvy sites without doing any DD or feaso,

HD_ACE and sanj

He did not do any feasibility and to my knowledge not too much DD. He is just at the point in his life were he wanted to buy a development property (he earns a fortune as a supervisor up North). He did want a splitter, build at the back and reno the front. So I was looking in the areas I know for that product.

He just msg me this morning and mentioned he grabbed this one. Not what I would have grabbed but really keen to hear peoples views on it. As I haven't looked as this area really closely. Just read what what other people post on here and the occasional real-estate.com check

Thank you for the replies so far :)

Imo far overpriced. These sites are priced because of the potential to construct multis, so in theory more profit. Wont be making money doing a simple retain and build or even struggle doing a triplex in this area at this price.

To give you some idea, when i was looking in this area 18-24 months ago for a bigger development these site were going for 500-550k with minimal compitition. Back then i was looking at a 400k sale price per unit and around 3o-40% profit. Now sites are sitting at 700-800k for the same potential but the oversupply is going to see a drop in sale price. Would be lucky to get. 350 k i reckon.

This can be offset by selling off the plan but there is minmal demand at the moment and i believe some developers are now holding off.

Theres better areas to invest in for a smaller project like retain and build or triplex to be able to make money and not pay belmont high entry prices.
And the signs are there that it will show a correction and will be left with lower value, low yielding non profitable site.

But thats just my opinion and everyone has their own.

Cheers

I am certainly no expert in the area, but I have been looking around the place for the past few months, know the Epsom Ave place you linked to, now way would I have paid $700K for it. The street isn't that busy, but there's not a whole lot going on around there. You need a car to drive to local shopping Centre - Bogan forum as I call it - the park is nice, and the primary school nearby is popular.

When you drive around the area you see block after block after block of developments, retain and builds, triplexes, and up. There will be so much competition to sell whatever he builds as there really can only be a glut of little boxes on the market by the time all these *developers* have swooped in and paid top dollar hoping to make a buck.

The area isn't that great, it's still full of bogans doing burnouts.

I can buy the same thing in Dianella, a much better suburb (IMO) for the same price.

I just don't see people with a lot of coin wanting to move into the area and he'd have to really spiffy up the front house and maybe get $600K for it, and sell off the back - maybe get $300K

After subdivision fees, real estate agent to sell, renovations on front home plus the stamp duty he's paid on the $700K, he's going to come out at a nice loss if he went that way.

If he built a triplex, he's got the cost of removing the front house $20K, and the build say $200K each, so origianl purchase price:

$700K
stamps $20K
demolish house $20K
build $600K
holding costs
agent fees to sell
plus the rest

He's already up to $1.3million

then he competes with all the people who bought the same properties at $500K - who are selling their triplex boxes for $450K, say he selss each at $450K, that's only $1.3millionish

hence the reason I went completely off devvie blocks in the area, in fact, devvie blocks anywhere!

belmont

I just don't see people with a lot of coin wanting to move into the area and he'd have to really spiffy up the front house and maybe get $600K for it, and sell off the back - maybe get $300K

After subdivision fees, real estate agent to sell, renovations on front home plus the stamp duty he's paid on the $700K, he's going to come out at a nice loss if he went that way.

Yeah seems like he wants to demolish the backyard, send plans through to council, knock the garage down, battle axe the block and sell the land.

Then move into the front house and reno.

Just wanted to pick your brain on the the location. I had a quick look on google maps and I see it is on a busier road, but to tell you the truth this is not an area I look at in Perth. I have read your posts about the area over the last couple of months so I was hoping you might be able to share some knowledge.

Also what potential development options do you think he has or would be the ideal. Not sure if you can do multis or straight triplex, retain and subdivide?.
I know this area very well as I live in the area and invest in the area. That road is not too busy at that location.

Speaking to a local developer, enquiries are coming off for multis, so townhouses would probably be a better bet. With regard to price, 35 Gild St sold last weekend of $825/sqm, so $836/sqm is not over the top IMO.

It's not such a bad location: walking distance to the Belvidere St shops. It's also close to the 37, which goes into the City.

In terms of end value, single level 4x2s in the area are selling for $549,000 with a low end finish on very tiny blocks with ridiculously small bedrooms. http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-belmont-113831787

Higher end townhouses are on the market for $650,000 http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-belmont-115920139

Just be aware that prices in the area are on the way down, this one got reduced $30k to sell: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-wa-belmont-115350779

If I bought that house, something I would explore is designing 3 townhouses (unit 1, unit 2 and unit 3) then retaining the front and just building unit 3 down the back. For the retained house, renovate and try to convert the laundry to a second bathroom/laundry. The rent from the renovated front house and the new unit 3 should more than cover interest and other holding costs but you would have to run the numbers to confirm.

Yeah seems like he wants to demolish the backyard, send plans through to council, knock the garage down, battle axe the block and sell the land.

Then move into the front house and reno.
He will need to talk to an accountant about the tax implications of selling vacant land. Some mates did a feso of selling off their back yard and it was not worth it for them. He might be better off building and selling but again, talk to a good tax accountant about the tax implications because building and selling new with GST can be tricky to get right.

This could be worth looking into, see if it's in a rezoning area and if possible to retain and build behind. http://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-bassendean-116050147
Oops, mobile version, I think you can type the numbers in to find it

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-bassendean-116050147

800sqm. I would presume R20? If they gave the address, we could look up the zoning. I would prefer something not already renovated because I like to do that myself.

OMG :eek:

well, at least it's *smack bang in the heart of all the action*

what action I hear you ask?

Why, Thursday night shopping at Bogan Forum of course!

OMG :eek:

well, at least it's *smack bang in the heart of all the action*

what action I hear you ask?

Why, Thursday night shopping at Bogan Forum of course!
Hey! "Bogan Forum" is open all the weekdays until 9pm! w00t!

(coz if you had $950,000 you would sink it into Kewdale) :D

quadruple the bogan fun!

I can only see that area going down, down down, it has to, Rivervale/Belmont/Cloverdale/Redcliffe - in a property bubble of its own.

quadruple the bogan fun!

I can only see that area going down, down down, it has to, Rivervale/Belmont/Cloverdale/Redcliffe - in a property bubble of its own.
Got to. I want to start a "watch this space" thread with Redcliffe, Belmont, Cloverdale, Kewdale and Rivervale development sites. Car crash tv.

Like this for $3.5 million... http://reiwa.com.au/Buy/Pages/More-...1&listingid=10333752&listingno=3335466&puid=0

Prices are down? Even this on the market for "Buyers over $799k" "only" got $770,000.

http://reiwa.com.au/Buy/Pages/More-...1&listingid=10410827&listingno=3412622&puid=0

This one was "Over $950k", now "Over $799k"

http://reiwa.com.au/Buy/Pages/More-...1&listingid=10407183&listingno=3408975&puid=0

Any that are on for over $1,000/sqm are dreaming!

who is buying this stuff? For the first time in ages, looking at Perth market, I am sick of real estate. I don't want to buy anything, it is all overpriced rubbish. It's not like this is Sydney - maybe I should just go back to the original plan of buying a unit as close to Sydney CBD as possible. I am really worried we are too far through this cycle in Perth for this steam to keep going.

who is buying this stuff?
Dunno. With the latest batch listed, I think noone.

For the first time in ages, looking at Perth market, I am sick of real estate.
Me too.

I don't want to buy anything, it is all overpriced rubbish.
Agree. I don't want to buy anything either.

It's not like this is Sydney - maybe I should just go back to the original plan of buying a unit as close to Sydney CBD as possible.
My backup is to develop my Melbourne property. I will talk to my builder when I am in Melbourne next month.

I am really worried we are too far through this cycle in Perth for this steam to keep going.
Where I am looking it is too far through the cycle.

Back