Help with locating owner

I am currently renting while I build. The unit I'm renting has really bad mould. So bad that my wife has spent the last wek in hospital on a drip. We have been trying to talk the real estate into doing something about it, but they keep insisting there isn't a problem.

My wife nearly died last week (I'm not exagerating here). Can anyone help me out, have a look at RP Data, and PM me the owners details (I suspect it's the real estate agent).

If anyone can help, PM me and I'll give you the address.

I hope your wife is OK.

Mould is a very serious issue, and there have been several cases in the media lately. If all else fails, contact one of the current affairs shows.

There is every chance the owner lives interstate or overseas. Maybe the RTA can help, or the Tenants Union in your state.
Marg

Thanks. For some reason I suspect the real estate is not contacting the owner (or they are the owner). I'd assume the owner has insurance. Not sure how the real estate will cover their negligence though.

If it was me, I would be moving out NOW!!! Take them to tribunal with the evidence about your wife's reaction and I think you would get your full bond back and I would highly doubt you will be penalised.

Take lots of photos.

Small issue with privacy going down some of those routes.

I'd be proactive and straightforward;

a. move out. Nothing is worth that.

Then
b. pay for legal advice and act

Speak to the tenants union first, my experience with them in Victoria has been very good but I'm not sure about NSW. If they can't help speak to a lawyer if you can afford it (legal aid may be able to help aswell).

Any lawyer can do a title search, and if necessary an ASIC search (the property may be owned by a company) to find the owner's name. It costs about $13 from memory for a title search, and about $20-30 for a full ASIC historical search of a company if you use leap (which many law firms do). Or you can do it yourself at the land titles office.

You should be thinking about recovering medical costs, full bond, and damages taking into account lost wages for any time you or your wife took off work as a minimum. If you can't find out who the owner is, I'd target the real estate agency, they have a duty of care to you as tenant as well and any problems such as this should have been addressed immediately.

Back