Help!-Zoning 2(b) downgraded to R2 soon!

Dear everybody,

Just came back from Parramtta City Council, and shocked to learn that our land with existing house is going to be downgrated to Residential R2 from zoning 2(b) (possible multi-units building) very soon if the Draft LEP DCP come into effect..

I asked them when, they said supposedly end of this month but they say nobody can say for sure when that will be exactly coming into effect of course..

Certainly feeling very much sad about this, and regreting my ignorance of the ongoing Draft LEP DCP which have been indeed going one over there for quite a while and already submitted to NSW Department of Planning for final approval..

I can't believe it how they could do this to us without sending us any notice..as far as I know our house and our next door are the only two blocks of land with zoning 2(b) (each of us 740sm, we were saying perhaps we could coop to build up units when financially possible for both of us), and last year other neighbours on the street were actually asking in a petition application to the council for the whole street to be zoning 2(b) and we all signed together on the paper...

Please anybody of you as seasoned exerts eg developers/solicitors with experience in this area please advise what I can do now perhaps to rescue the situation?--It is a big house opposite to a quite big woolworths and I thought perhaps I could do this and that unto the land... Really sort of can't accept the downgrading...and wondering if they do have to downgrading the land, could we possibly ask for compensation from the goverment?...

Any suggestions/inputs would be appreciated..Please!

I heard they are doing it as parramatta council has land releases it wants to sell, which is not going to be affected by the land rezoning.

Come on, there should be something I could do? Any inputs welcome..what if I start a DA application now, will the old zoning applies or the future new zoning will apply?

DA last for 2 years...so if you submit the DA make sure it applies within the 2b rules for it to be effective ...but you first need to know what you want to do/ build or develop ?

Regards
Michael

Downgraded?? are you sure you understood correctly?

They only changed names of them, before it was 2a 30% building envelope or 2b 50% envelope, and they changed that to R2 which is 50%

Now 2a, 2b, 2c etc. doesn't exist any more, its called R1, R2, R3 etc. with some changes to DCP

This is what they did in Wollongong back in February this year, and now they want all Councils to do the same, and have same or very similar DCP.

There should be draft DCP on Parramatta City Council website, just have a read.

Up here they gave us a date when the old system will end, so we could of choose if we want to follow new regulations, or old in this period, which ever suits better.

I think veseli is right. Only duplexes are allowed in both zoning (2b or R2) in Parra. That's what I remember reading long time back.

Hi veseli, It is downgraded.

I closely monitors the LEP changes in Parramatta council and stored both old and new LEP documents in my computer.

The 2b zoning in the old LEP allows townhouse development but the permission disappeared in the R2 zoning from the new LEP.

One example is the Carlingford rd in Epping/Carlingford.

Hi Martin_2F

That's not the case in Wollongong Council, this is what they permit.

R2 Permitted with consent

Attached dwellings; Bed and breakfast accommodation; Boarding houses; Boat launching ramps; Child care centres; Community facilities; Dual occupancies; Dwelling houses; Environmental facilities; Exhibition homes; Exhibition villages; Group homes; Health consulting rooms; Hospitals; Hostels; Information and education facilities; Jetties; Multi dwelling housing; Neighbourhood shops; Places of public worship; Recreation areas; Recreation facilities (indoor); Recreation facilities (outdoor); Residential flat buildings; Respite day care centres; Roads; Semi-detached dwellings; Seniors housing; Shop top housing; Signage; Veterinary hospitals

All this as permitted previously in 2B zoning as well so i cant see much difference.

But again each Council is different.

Hi veseli,

Yes I am sure ours was downgraded--very unfortunate but I reckon I can't do much or indeed nothing..

The council poeple told me so, and I tripple-checked the new zoning map..ours, plus our left side neighbour's, used to be able to build units as we are next to blocks of units..our righ side neighbour and from their lot rightwards all owners were trying to apply to the council for zoning 2b a year ago (to be the same as ours and our left-side neighbour's but seemed not succeeded in such attempt intead we-us and our left-side neighbour have been downgraded)

I feel quite unfair but don't know if anything eg a petition could be done at all..

Usually the goverment shouldn't do anything to harm the land value of an owner for no good reason in my humblest assumption..

Downgraded?? are you sure you understood correctly?

They only changed names of them, before it was 2a 30% building envelope or 2b 50% envelope, and they changed that to R2 which is 50%

Now 2a, 2b, 2c etc. doesn't exist any more, its called R1, R2, R3 etc. with some changes to DCP

This is what they did in Wollongong back in February this year, and now they want all Councils to do the same, and have same or very similar DCP.

There should be draft DCP on Parramatta City Council website, just have a read.

Up here they gave us a date when the old system will end, so we could of choose if we want to follow new regulations, or old in this period, which ever suits better.

Back