Help!

Hi there,

I have a big problem with CAB, the settlement for the property I bought is on Thursday 17th of April. Just had a call from my solicitor, he hasn't received any documents yet, he spoke with someone at the head office and they don't have the documents either. The lending manager who I've been dealing with is on holiday, the only contact I have is some assistant who cannot tell me more than that she is "chasing it". What are my options here? can I complain to the banking ombudsman or any other government body? cause it looks like I'll be paying penalties if settlement does not happen. Would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

Jerry

Go to the office of the CAB and ask to see the assistants superior.
If you get no joy there, keep going up till someone does something positive.

You usually have to get to someone who can make a decision before anything is done.

A similar thing happened to me and i did the above until i got it sorted, unfortunately it was after the settlement date.

Then i leant on the bank to pay my penalty interest for late settlement. To my surprise they agreed. So dont forget this option. Good Luck

Hiya Jerry

If you went direct, then ask to speak with the branch manager. If he/she is not available go as far as you need to and dont feel shy about it - get up em, but be nice about it because the person you are dealing with is unlikely to be "response able".

I suspect you are on which bank territory. I wish you luck.

Be persistent without being grumpy and you will win

"Damages" depends on how long things have been in etc. If you can demonstrate tardiness on the lenders behalf you will have a VERY good case where they will pay out if you insist.

ta

rolf

The last time I settled, it was threatening to by rather late through bank delays. The bank acknowledged responsibility, and offered to pay panalty costs.

As it was, it was not necessary. The settlement came in one day late- and the vendor was not too concerned about the delay (she was getting rent from the tenants in the meantime- and she still had a little room to move on her own settlement.

Thank you geoffw and Rolf.
I have come back from the bank just a few minutes ago, and I did exactly what you suggested - I stayed there until I got to talk to someone with IQ higher than room temperature. Guess what, they lost my mortgage papers! but the woman who I talked to said she would go to the settlement herself if necessary and they will pay. If they can't find the papers I'll have to sign again.

Thanks again. I hope this woman will not sleep in or catch a cold or whatever on the day of settlement.

Jerry

Originally posted by h8dk97
but the woman who I talked to said she would go to the settlement herself if necessary and they will pay. If they can't find the papers I'll have to sign again.
Excellent Jerry, well done!

That's the really good thing about this forum- there's so many people who have done similar things, that even if you don't get an answer, you can get guided towards a better solution.

Back