High crime suburbs in Newcastle?

Hi I have just made an offer for the house in Birmingham Gardens Newcastle for family use (waiting for a reply from the seller). However, I have just heard some rumours from an informal source that the area has a high crime rate. Can anybody confirm this, thanks?

I heard similar thing about Jesmond and for this reason, we stayed out of Jesmond to begin with. Today I found a collection of newspaper reports about various drug related crimes and vandalisms in Shortland. Given the proximity of Birmingham Gardens to these two suburbs (in fact it is located between Jesmond & Shortland), could the rumours I heard be true?

There is a suburb(s) in almost every town/city with high crime rates. Which one is it for Newcastle? I can definitely tell you the one in Tamworth.
Thanks
MKP

There was an article in the local paper recently about foreign students getting robbed by scum and losing their laptops, phones and cash whilst they were using an underpass tunnel leading to and from the uni. Now most of them refuse to use it and are risking the busy traffic to cross the road which is causing a traffic problem. The number of robberies at that particular location probably pushed the local stats up a bit.

Mayfield, Islington, Hamilton, Cooks Hill (yes!!!), Newcastle City, Windale, Jesmond, Shortland, Birmingham Gardens, Gateshead.

And quite a few more. Lots of crime hotspots in Newcastle. There are idiots everywhere. I have also seen morons drive into nice, low crime suburbs and just put bins up on light poles, or smash letterboxes and rip statues out of the ground and the list goes on etc. Lots of bogans and thugs around so you have to pick your spot well.

Do a search for NSW Crime Maps and you can see it all. Also to note the two major shopping centres (Garden City and Charlestown Square) are obvious bright red hot spots on the crime maps mostly due to cars getting broken into etc.

Back