High Yielding Shares Again

My WOW and BHP had dropped about 20% in recent times now back to 7% drop. Is it time I got out?

You are funny China,
I think I got out of BHP at least 3 years ago, and WOW well about the same time. Saved heaps on BHP downturn but lost some gain on WOW upturn....
Can't win them all in this gambling game, right?:)

I have invested in shares for a very long time and spent a lot of time and energy, however still my investments and profits in shares are a small fraction of my property portfolio.

I personally cannot sit tight when shares are falling - hence the stop loss. MQG fell from $95 to $15 during 2007-09. After 6 years MQG still is nowhere near its previous high. As I see it, if I can take a 20% loss which is tax deductable I could then buy 5 times the shares in such an extreme situation. MQG fell from $40 to $20 in 2001 and then took 3 years to reach $40. If a top 50 share is falling 20% then there is something seriously wrong.

Stop loss protection plan also helps me in making higher profits from more volatile stocks.

Couldn't agree with you more about the stop losses, I learned that after owning (luckily only few!) and when selling and making a loss on MQG.
People forget that some major blue chip companies no longer exist just check the last 10, 20 , 30 years (whatever the period interests you with your holdings).
So money protection is the key, as you say if you loose 20% at least you have something to reinvest otherwise those that bought at $95, can be holding on for who knows how long???? Remember AMP at $20 or $22 and then down.....
I do not like to gamble with serious money, so little may not hurt but it should if you wish to grow your wealth....
I agree stop losses for me to protect no matter what as I do not have a crystal ball, right?:confused:

I get like 150k in private company divs towards the end of the year, and the odd 10-20k at times throughout the year. I don't tend to sit on capital, when it comes in it buys stocks :) this is my problem .

I'M just wondering do you, as you are in total control what do you do with the 165k...what do you u reinvest it all in there are several grey-green -nomads that I talk too in the national parks of nth nsw that are in the same boat might be good conversation at 3 in the morning around the campfire on your opinion....

Ok, here's the numbers on "do not hold a top 20 stock if it falls 20%". In this case, stop is placed at 20% drop from all time high. Let's look at the widely held WOW, a recent and topical example.

High 38.92
Stop 31.13

This stock subsequently fell to $29, so maybe the stop protected capital...let's see.

Stock was acquired in 2011-12 at $25. Stop has now triggered CGT on $6.13, say 47% for top bracket and applied 50% CGT discount this leaves capital per share of $29.70, and now on the sidelines.

Meanwhile, if you had done nothing, current share price $33 and another dividend to be paid in April. I'll pass on this method of "capital protection" for long term investing. The key is picking the stocks of course, for spec stocks yeah, I'd want a stop...but I don't buy specs.

Yes, but as you say who can pick ALL the stocks perfectly, giving example on the one that went up would not hold true for others, there would be many others in that timeframe that just did the opposite of that, right?
Also, time frame is interesting point in itself, see Japan's graph and understand what I mean, some luck has to play what point in time in our lives the stock market is doing, is it going to go up for next 30 years or down for 30 years????
As I say no one has a crystal ball, but the more you learn, hopefully the less the risk you take...

Yes, but as you say who can pick ALL the stocks perfectly, giving example on the one that went up would not hold true for others, there would be many others in that timeframe that just did the opposite of that, right?
Also, time frame is interesting point in itself, see Japan's graph and understand what I mean, some luck has to play what point in time in our lives the stock market is doing, is it going to go up for next 30 years or down for 30 years????
As I say no one has a crystal ball, but the more you learn, hopefully the less the risk you take...

MIW, that was in reply to "what top 20 stock" would you hold if it fell 20%, my understanding was that poster suggested a stop should be at -20% and if a top 20 fell by 20%, then you shouldn't be holding it. This is all.

Re the Japan thing, yeah one of the best bubbles since the south seas company.
Well covered in "devil take the hindmost" a great read. Understanding the lead up to that and the criminal behavior of brokers and gullability of the masses with no link whatsover between price and earnings (the index PE was over 60x from memory) into a shrinking economy / population was always gong to be 100% tears. A lot of the cause was actually the Japan Inc system - culturally and politically. Well worth going beyond looking at the Nikkei charts to understand what actually transpired. Pure madness.

I'M just wondering do you, as you are in total control what do you do with the 165k...what do you u reinvest it all in there are several grey-green -nomads that I talk too in the national parks of nth nsw that are in the same boat might be good conversation at 3 in the morning around the campfire on your opinion....

It's a bit more than 200k pa capital inflows really including SMSF and growing.

Generally I will look at topping up core holding ; ETFs, ASX VAS/VHY/QOZ. DRP ticked on all these. Leaning towards more QOZ smart beta stuff these days. If any big LICs are at 5% discount to NTA I'd buy them over the ETFs. Popularity of SMSF means that doesn't happen much, not for a few years. When the market tanked in 2011, it was good buying as AFI and ARG were available at significant discount.

Next I am looking at ASX moat rated stuff that's beaten up. I regularly run the 52 week lows for about 30 stocks I like, work out if there is value there or a agree with it's market price. I also have a thing for owner/manager stuff so have a few stocks I like that I will top up on if the price looks ok.

Next I will go to the states, grab some VTS. I will also grab more BRK.B. The amount will be linked to its price to book..some MKL or Y perhaps, maybe OAK or FFH.TO...P/B has an effect on which is added. I'd pay a higher multiple for BRK.B than any of the others.. Then there are some US blue chips I like, I'll see what's happening run the ruler over a handful of stocks. If there is value I'll buy.

I'll always buy ETFs and usually I will find a couple of positions to start or add to. I find if I don't have a lot of conviction I will go in to Bogle mode rather than Lynch mode :)

it's a bit more than 200k pa capital inflows really including smsf and growing.

Generally i will look at topping up core holding ; etfs, asx vas/vhy/qoz. Drp ticked on all these. Leaning towards more qoz smart beta stuff these days. If any big lics are at 5% discount to nta i'd buy them over the etfs. Popularity of smsf means that doesn't happen much, not for a few years. When the market tanked in 2011, it was good buying as afi and arg were available at significant discount.

Next i am looking at asx moat rated stuff that's beaten up. I regularly run the 52 week lows for about 30 stocks i like, work out if there is value there or a agree with it's market price. I also have a thing for owner/manager stuff so have a few stocks i like that i will top up on if the price looks ok.

Next i will go to the states, grab some vts. I will also grab more brk.b. The amount will be linked to its price to book..some mkl or y perhaps, maybe oak or ffh.to...p/b has an effect on which is added. I'd pay a higher multiple for brk.b than any of the others.. Then there are some us blue chips i like, i'll see what's happening run the ruler over a handful of stocks. If there is value i'll buy.

I'll always buy etfs and usually i will find a couple of positions to start or add to. I find if i don't have a lot of conviction i will go in to bogle mode rather than lynch mode :)

all i can say is good luck..

You are funny China,
I think I got out of BHP at least 3 years ago, and WOW well about the same time. Saved heaps on BHP downturn but lost some gain on WOW upturn....
Can't win them all in this gambling game, right?:)

As I am fast nearing break even point for BHP and WOW, I am nervously looking at the current bull market wondering whether I should be selling out simply because I have been waiting for some months for the break even moment. There is a nervousness that the bull market can stop and then drop precipitously at any time and then I would regret not reclaiming my capital. On the other hand, I am, in a small way, hoping for some profit and as I do not need the cash, feel that I may as well hang on until some profit is made. So there is more nervousness now on a daily basis than when the entire portfolio was down 20%.

This thread has been great. Thanks for all the contributers.

I have just started looking in to shares and decided to jump in.

Call it beginners luck but I bought TOL stock recently and got a 50% increase last week so took the money. :D

Not anticipating that happening ever again.:rolleyes:

It is certainly interesting.

This thread has been great. Thanks for all the contributers.

I have just started looking in to shares and decided to jump in.

Call it beginners luck but I bought TOL stock recently and got a 50% increase last week so took the money. :D

Not anticipating that happening ever again.:rolleyes:

It is certainly interesting.

Me too Travelbug, started off trying to find out about high yielding shares and its just got bigger than Ben Hur
I think this thread is bloody amazing thanks for the experts contributing, I think some 800++ posts, brilliant

I brought this up some weeks ago and i'll mention it again.

The dash towards high yielding shares will cause some problems when the music stops and those that invested in these stocks exit in search of the next big thing.

Invest in good quality companies that have good market positions in sectors/industries that are growing and you'll do well in the medium to long term.

Investing in companies purely for their dividends is dangerous imo.

As I am fast nearing break even point for BHP and WOW, I am nervously looking at the current bull market wondering whether I should be selling out simply because I have been waiting for some months for the break even moment. There is a nervousness that the bull market can stop and then drop precipitously at any time and then I would regret not reclaiming my capital. On the other hand, I am, in a small way, hoping for some profit and as I do not need the cash, feel that I may as well hang on until some profit is made. So there is more nervousness now on a daily basis than when the entire portfolio was down 20%.

if you are nervous with these stocks, then you are not suited to hold them. Try something less volatile like say sydney airport. can't see much that will make it drop substantially. Revenue growing, dollars dropping (more tourist?), dividends growing. May have good buying opportunities with todays drop. Do your own research though.

I do hold them for quite a while and they have been great. maybe overshoot a little but cant complain.

If any big LICs are at 5% discount to NTA I'd buy them over the ETFs. Popularity of SMSF means that doesn't happen much, not for a few years. When the market tanked in 2011, it was good buying as AFI and ARG were available at significant discount.

The following is from AFI website:

on occasions the Company?s (AFIC) share price can move to trade at a discount or premium to net asset backing i.e. the value of the portfolio. A number of different factors influence this discount/premium including:

market perception of the AFIC?s future earnings potential
perception of management and likely future performance

supply and demand for shares at any one time can fluctuate. In particular, listed investment company shares such as AFIC sometimes fall out of favour, when the general market is running strongly investors may elect to move out of "value" shares into "growth stocks". Conversely when market conditions are more subdued investors may value a steadier stream of dividends and a value based approach to investing

the relative benefit of lower costs of managing the portfolio on the behalf of shareholders compared with the higher costs associated with a large proportion of managed funds.

SMSF Is buying heaps of LICs these days, they are back in favour, hence the countless launches of new LICs in the last couple of years trying to grab a piece of the pie. For those that might be interested ASX puts out a monthly LIC NTA report around 3-5th of the month....some brokers also have live NTA data where they are tracking underlying holdings. Nothing much any good is cheap these days.
http://www.asx.com.au/documents/products/ASX_Funds_Monthly_Update_-_January_15.pdf

AFI was good buying in 2011 when the market tanked, like I said. NTA to share price chart at bottom of this link http://www.afi.com.au/How-We-Invest/shareprice-NTA-chart.aspx

Buying big LICs at a discount in a major correction is a "planets aligned" kind of moment :)

And hence why "resistance" exists...

Rounding up and putting it all online

Excuse me for jumping in on this thread but l am sure one of you share investors can answer my questions.
My friend has accumulated a large amount of shares during the past 50 years. All been purchased through a broker. There is also a parcel of an American share. All shares were purchased pre 2000.
Now that my friend.. Anne Has discovered the joys of being online and having all her other business and accounts sent to her via the web and email.
She would like to know how she can now do away with receiving her dividends by cheque and having them direct credited to her bank account and all associated documents sent to her email.
Does she need to register with any one in particular ?
What does she have to do to make this happen? Can it happen.
The American shares have a large amount of dividends ( in cheques now expired) that have not been claimed. What or how can Anne now claim the dividends from USA via a direct credit on line.?
Thanks in advance for any reply,s
Cheers
Yadreamin

Excuse me for jumping in on this thread but l am sure one of you share investors can answer my questions.
My friend has accumulated a large amount of shares during the past 50 years. All been purchased through a broker. There is also a parcel of an American share. All shares were purchased pre 2000.
Now that my friend.. Anne Has discovered the joys of being online and having all her other business and accounts sent to her via the web and email.
She would like to know how she can now do away with receiving her dividends by cheque and having them direct credited to her bank account and all associated documents sent to her email.
Does she need to register with any one in particular ?
What does she have to do to make this happen? Can it happen.
The American shares have a large amount of dividends ( in cheques now expired) that have not been claimed. What or how can Anne now claim the dividends from USA via a direct credit on line.?
Thanks in advance for any reply,s
Cheers
Yadreamin

If she has Australian publicly listed shares, the registry administration will be handled either by Market Link Services or Computershare.

Presumably, she has been receiving posted correspondence from her Australian companies, and would have received forms from the registries on behalf of the companies to apply for direct credit of dividends to her bank accounts, optionally provide TFN and to choose to be informed by email on matters relating to dividend distribution notices, annual reports, etc. She could complete and return those forms to receive direct credit of dividends to her bank accounts and to start receiving information by email.

Alternatively, she could go to the website of Market Link Services or Computershare, depending on which registry is used by the company and log in with her SRN/HIN and other personal particulars to update her records.

Yadreaming

I forgot to add that the easiest way is for your friend to instruct the broker where the dividends should be deposited and for all company information to be sent by email. Let the broker earned his commission!

The cash was previously sitting in a savings account earning about 2.8% pre-tax. So as long as the BHP holding yields more than that per annum, I am willing to hold it until the capital loss is re-gained. The dividend yield at my entry price of 35.77 was a bit over 3 %. I am again punting on the fall in the AUD helping to increase BHP profits and the numerous news articles stating that the fall in iron ore price cannot hurt either BHP or RIO in the longer term.

Hi China,

Did you ever consider Evands strategy as posted by himself and IV :confused:

You must be happier with the trend's direction for BHP now though

BHP

Edit..

Woolworths first-half profit falls to $1.3 billion

WOW

Last edited:

Yadreamin

Very simple to fix,every statement in the top right hand corner will have a SRN/HIN number ,plus ASXcode, below that will be a link..
https://www-au.computershare.com/Investor?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

or

http://www.linkmarketservices.com.a...=1ate/investorservices/investor-services.html

Just log in and change anything you want it would take about 2 minutes
and the job done..btw with the US listed equities have the Lady talk to her broker because they are not doing what they are charging the fees for the service factor..

Back