Highgate WA: let's build a baby apartment block thread

Excellent news look forwards to the updates.

If its a period home, will you be able to knock it down??

MTR

Vincent would be happiest with me retaining it but it's not heritage listed so it might be a possibility.

Just walked the dogs and checked it out, the house needs a bit of work, original, good location.

I inspected the house today and it's got some good bones but nothing spectacular. It's very habitable however and will be fine for holding income without probably doing anything. Lovely bright yellow laminex in the kitchen from the 70s/80s :D The outside is probably worse than the inside.

I shall start a new thread tonight with some photos I took today.

Congrats westminster on your new project. This thread is so awesome, there is so much to learn. Would be interested to follow your journey on the new project :)

Wow... What an INSPIRATIONAL read!
Congrats to WM and Kudos to Aaron for the persistence!
I couldn't stop reading this thread until the very end!
The firm I used came up with all sort of excuses to not change their plans when I raised a few issues saying it was as good as it gets despite telling me their fee was inclusive of unlimited changes prior to signing me as a client.

Westminster - you sound more and more like me as i read the posts! how long have you been developing? I've only done 1 triplex development in Nollamara and now looking for my next, if your keen to catch up and talk "property" i'd be keen over a beer / or tea whichever floats ya boat ;)

It's hard trying to find like minded people around my age (25) who have such a interest for property development.

I started off in a similar situation to you and Jezz with my first triplex development in Innaloo. In hindsight I wish I didn't sell them last year as there easily worth 50k more each.

WM If you don't mind me asking where did you seek information to bridge the gap in knowledge from units to apartments? I understand the basic R codes such as minimum lots, setbacks etc however it seems to get fairly confusing once you add in plot ratios, minimum parking allowances, height etc I've been looking at some of the blocks in Rivervale area which seem to been becoming increasingly popular with 6-7 unit sites.
eg http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-rivervale-114692171

Wow... What an INSPIRATIONAL read!
Congrats to WM and Kudos to Aaron for the persistence!
I couldn't stop reading this thread until the very end!
The firm I used came up with all sort of excuses to not change their plans when I raised a few issues saying it was as good as it gets despite telling me their fee was inclusive of unlimited changes prior to signing me as a client.

I started off in a similar situation to you and Jezz with my first triplex development in Innaloo. In hindsight I wish I didn't sell them last year as there easily worth 50k more each.

WM If you don't mind me asking where did you seek information to bridge the gap in knowledge from units to apartments? I understand the basic R codes such as minimum lots, setbacks etc however it seems to get fairly confusing once you add in plot ratios, minimum parking allowances, height etc I've been looking at some of the blocks in Rivervale area which seem to been becoming increasingly popular with 6-7 unit sites.
eg http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-rivervale-114692171

It is somewhat confusing but the devil is in the details :)
I like understanding the nitty gritty but there is still a lot I don't know yet which I will continue to learn. I read the R Codes like a bible, I subscribe the R Codes discussion forum which is always good for debate on the nitty gritty and I rely on learning from people who know more than me.
When looking at apartments the main thing is plot ratio and how many car parks you need to provide. Car parking takes up a lot of space so the less you need to provide (i.e. do it close to high frequency bus or train) then the more ground floor apartments you can do and this is cheaper. Plot ratios are easy once you know the ratio and roughly how big each apartment is approx - I work on 50-55 sqm for 1 bed, 70 for 2 bed and 80-90 for 3 bed. Of course those sizes depend on the location and the budget.

Thank you for the advice WM.
Did you have to appoint a strata company for these units? or can you get away with it if its under 5 like villas?

Thank you for the advice WM.
Did you have to appoint a strata company for these units? or can you get away with it if its under 5 like villas?
Yes and no. It will need one if I sell any of the apartments. Until then I think either I set up and dissolve or set up and run myself. I need to nvestigate further and see which is best.

Update:
The advertisement period for the development closed on the 30th Sept and council sent the collation of responses on Friday.

Only one objection which was about height, setbacks, design style and streetscape. Yup I think they might have ticked all boxes :)

However all the matters have previously been discussed and addressed with the Council so I'm not expecting much problems from this objection.

Next step: Aaron writes a response and the project is scheduled for voting at 19th November council meeting

Vincent would be happiest with me retaining it but it's not heritage listed so it might be a possibility.

I inspected the house today and it's got some good bones but nothing spectacular. It's very habitable however and will be fine for holding income without probably doing anything. Lovely bright yellow laminex in the kitchen from the 70s/80s :D The outside is probably worse than the inside.

I shall start a new thread tonight with some photos I took today.

The reason I ask is because Stirling take a very harsh approach when it comes to demolishing period homes, even if the property is not heritage listed. Perhaps Vincent is different??

We know someone who owns a property on Hill view Street, for over 30 years Has been rented out, charging minimal rent and the owner has not spent a cent on the property, so you can just imagine the condition, its woeful, talk of the street.

In fact the tenants actually have moved now, over the last month the tenants had no electricity my g/friend lives next door. The roof is currently sitting under props.

The owners plan was to build his dream home, his got pots of money and thought he would out gun Council, but they have denied him a demolish order, he has no choice but to renovate/fix the property.

I actually thought he would not have a problem demolishing only because of the state of the property.

MTR

More OTP news from the area.

Norwood Perth apartment block - about 300m from my block.

$710k for 3 bed, 2 bath apartment - here is the plan. Nice design with about 6m2 more living space than mine. Blurb says "low density, 59 apartment complex". I'll raise you that low density with 3 :)

floorplan1.jpg

Pricing like that is very interesting.

$550k for the 2 x 2. Is an extra bedroom worth $160k?

floorplan1.jpg

Having a slight stunned mullet moment.

I thought (silly me!) that because council had said they wanted to go to neighbour comment/public notice that we have gotten over any issues, that the design was done bar any comments from neighbours about the non compliant/discretionary parts which they could push back on.

Wro-ong. Today they want bins moved, bike parking changed and visitor parking changed. The visitor parking change is easy but massive - they want it removed. This will then reduce the width of the crossover and some dept of council will be happy. Aaron is grabbing his CAD eraser and doing so.

Having a slight stunned mullet moment.

I thought (silly me!) that because council had said they wanted to go to neighbour comment/public notice that we have gotten over any issues, that the design was done bar any comments from neighbours about the non compliant/discretionary parts which they could push back on.

Wro-ong. Today they want bins moved, bike parking changed and visitor parking changed. The visitor parking change is easy but massive - they want it removed. This will then reduce the width of the crossover and some dept of council will be happy. Aaron is grabbing his CAD eraser and doing so.

Sounds like the engineering department finally looked at the DA... Would've been nice if they looked at it in more detail earlier though! :mad:

sounds like my maylands experience.

in november/december 2012 we were told all looked good and it would go out to advertising.

ended up only getting our DA in july.

Sounds like the engineering department finally looked at the DA... Would've been nice if they looked at it in more detail earlier though! :mad:

Yeah left hand meet right hand - you work at the same body :cool:
Neighborhood comment finished 3 weeks ago and we are on council meeting November 5th. Planning report had to be finished today so it was very last minute stuff :rolleyes:

There is plenty of street parking and it was a 0.75 visitor bay requirement rounded up to 1.0 that was causing the problem. I was happy with their request as it makes the development easier.

More OTP news from the area.

Blurb says "low density, 59 apartment complex".

Are you a little bit nervous about having a comparatively high density appartment block being built close to yours?

From a supply perspective I couldnt imagine 1 building would make much difference, so you're safe I'd imagine.

How does their advertised prices stack up to the prices that you've got in your head?

Are you a little bit nervous about having a comparatively high density appartment block being built close to yours?

From a supply perspective I couldnt imagine 1 building would make much difference, so you're safe I'd imagine.

How does their advertised prices stack up to the prices that you've got in your head?

Hey Waldo,

There are 3 pretty big buildings going up in the area but I'm not too concerned - this is the inner city and I expect constant building for years to come.

The 'competition' are going up are on main roads generally and very different to mine in concept but will still provide approximate comparables and competition.

My original figures from a local REA at concept stage

70sqm 2 bed, 2 bath apartment low $500,000s
90sqm 3 bed, 2 bath apartment low-mid $600,000s

So it looks like I'll be looking at a nice increase in value :)

Im actually looking forward to these 3 big ones going up, will be good for the area, in particular the pocket in between lord and west pde. I dont consider my 4 apartments to be in competition with them either, entirely different product

Back