Highgate WA: let's build a baby apartment block thread

Where did I leave you last?

We met for SAT Determination on the 27th and we were directed to go to mediation.

As the Town Planner agreed and put my development forward for approval the Council needs to assign an independant town planner to represent them (sigh!). Mediation is therefore between Mayor, Councillors and myself as they are the ones who disagreed.

Mediation is on 27th Feb (next week yay!!) and we meet on the block to get perspective, chat with the one neighbour who didn't like it then chat some more and go to Vincent chambers to mediate mediate mediate.

Cost so far is $3500 and going up by the hour.

Seriously Myf, I really don't know how you do this.... you are a woman of steel.

All the best.

Our neighbors (at development we doing in NSW) had to go thru similar process.

In NSW, it is court of Land & environment deals with this sort of situation. He ended up getting approval as per his original plans.

One of the property lawyer was telling met that at times council has to use that path to cover their backside.

let's hope it works out in your favor!

Well we went to mediation. Only one councillor turned up and the independant Town Planner that Vincent appointed. So there was 2 SAT mediators, my TP, Aaron (designer), me (owner), one councillor and their TP. No other councillors, no neighbor who objected and no Mayor.

We met on the block and went back and discussed at Vincent.

All went well, I knew what their issues were so we let them get them off their chest and get down to what they actually wanted. We ring fenced all the discussion to issues with the 3rd floor then set about meeting those issues.

I had worked with Aaron and my TP and they knew what I was willing to give. I had a win-win in mind where I gave up a room on the 3rd floor which answered their need for less bulk, more articulation and greater setbacks. I wasn't prepared to lose that room for ever though so I made Aaron redesign the bottom floor and added it back onto that. Financially it's all good - in fact I presume cheaper to add room to ground floor than having it on 3rd - that might not be the case due to the heavy articulation I have now ended up with.

They were happy with that so we agreed on a section 31, going for reconsideration on April 9th Vincent meeting. Let's hope we can show all the Councillors the changes and how they have met their requirements and it gets passed.

They were happy with that so we agreed on a section 31, going for reconsideration on April 9th Vincent meeting. Let's hope we can show all the Councillors the changes and how they have met their requirements and it gets passed.

Nicely negotiated! Seems like a reasonable outcome. It does seem a shame though that this could not have been negotiated out before the report went up to council. I think that is a huge deficiency in the WA planning system. There is a problem, there is a solution, but the path to reach the solution seems to be overly convoluted.

Your perseverance has been astounding WM. It's been almost 15 months since your first post about acquiring this property. How long do you estimate from start to end?

Not sure on your location but you may wish to object to Vincent's current proposal to change R80 blocks into R60.

It's a ridiculous idea! I'll be having my say on it! It doesn't affect my area but I did almost buy in that part.

Nicely negotiated! Seems like a reasonable outcome. It does seem a shame though that this could not have been negotiated out before the report went up to council. I think that is a huge deficiency in the WA planning system. There is a problem, there is a solution, but the path to reach the solution seems to be overly convoluted.

All Councillors had to do was defer decision and seek more information from me etc last year but instead they decided on full refusal and that meant I had 2 decision - give up or mediate. It wasn't a hard mediation - I wish we had been able to do it last year and save $1000s and time.

Your perseverance has been astounding WM. It's been almost 15 months since your first post about acquiring this property. How long do you estimate from start to end?

Well I certainly didn't think it would take this long :eek: I think I was originally hoping to be finished by the end of this year. I don't dare think any further than getting DA approved.

All Councillors had to do was defer decision and seek more information from me etc last year but instead they decided on full refusal and that meant I had 2 decision - give up or mediate. It wasn't a hard mediation - I wish we had been able to do it last year and save $1000s and time.
They wasted your time and money and their ratepayers money when they could have resolved this without going to SAT. Seems like it could have been negotiated at council stage. Very frustrating!

They wasted your time and money and their ratepayers money when they could have resolved this without going to SAT. Seems like it could have been negotiated at council stage. Very frustrating!

And ...... when it goes to reconsideration they can still refuse it. Then we go back to SAT. We have more SAT mediation booked in for the week after the Council meeting just in case.

I really really really really don't want to need more mediation.

Read this through all over again

Wow, I read this a few months back and have just gone through it from start to finish again...let me know how that nude levitation works for ya, might have to try it myself!
I bought an old house on an 822m in a demo controlled area in Herston, Brisbane and 7 mths later, after appeal, got approval! Now i am just getting on to architects to draw up plans to push the boundaries on a mini unit block. It's LMR 1, so 2 stories, trying to get 3 stories like LMR2 due to very busy road, major hospital 800m away transport hub 600m away all on same road but having read your thread I suspect I am in for the long haul and it's already been 7mths....
Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound, hope I can hang out as long as you have and really wish you the best of luck with this. Loved the design and hope it goes through!!! This thread is pretty inspirational :)

Tonight is THE night.

14.1 CONFIDENTIAL ITEM: Proposed Three-Storey Residential Development
Comprising Three (3) Multiple Dwellings and Associated Car Parking ?
Review (Appeal) Under Section 31 of the State Administrative Tribunal
(SAT) Act

As it is now a legal matter it is confidential and we don't know whether the independant Town Planner has recommended or not.

It will be at the end of the Council meeting so that is can be done behind closed doors and then hopefully they will release the information to us.

Tonight is THE night.

14.1 CONFIDENTIAL ITEM: Proposed Three-Storey Residential Development
Comprising Three (3) Multiple Dwellings and Associated Car Parking ?
Review (Appeal) Under Section 31 of the State Administrative Tribunal
(SAT) Act

As it is now a legal matter it is confidential and we don't know whether the independant Town Planner has recommended or not.

It will be at the end of the Council meeting so that is can be done behind closed doors and then hopefully they will release the information to us.

Good luck Myf!! Hopefully it goes your way. :)

For those following at home we got ...........
To be continued ;)

As the matter is confidential we were kicked out and told to phone tomorrow for a verdict.

Sigh!!!

Back