Hiring a Builder for Internal Renovations + Costing

Hi all,

For full internal renovations I am wondering if it's worth hiring a builder (for the likes of flooring, paint, kitchen, bathrooms etc). I am keen to know this as I'm not hands on and considering coordinating multiple trades may not be so cost effective or efficient? Especially if turn key builds are around $165k-200k, would it make sense to estimate $50k for an internal renovation (no punched walls).

Following are some numbers I've done for a house - would appreciate your input.

Laundry 2,000
Painting 8,000
Kitchen 8,000
Blinds 1,500
Bathroom (x 2) 20,000
Electricals 1,200
Floor boards 5,000
Carpet 3,000
Window Glass/Tip/Cleanup 3,000
Total 51,700

Thanks,
MsAli

Hi MsAli,

It's a bit of a grey area whether you need a building permit or not.
If you were not doing the bathrooms, then I would say not, but with the bathrooms, I would get a registered builder involved.
By getting a permit, and a registered builder, you protect yourself, and get a guarantee.

It seems like overkill, but that's the way it's going these days.

Scott.

MsAli

Renovation is a different kettle of fish to new build.

Newbuilds have the luxury of starting fresh. Renovating requires hours burned up demolishing and repreparing surfaces and structures. So renovating vs new build is false economy in that way of thinking.

Your numbers don't look far off for the general consensus of 'normal' renovating and modernising of a midrange house. Slight tweaks here and there.

The real questions you have to ask yourself is it worth the builders arbitrary margin to let them take the job on? How hands on can you be/want to be or not? How 'trusting' are you and can you 'let go' and let the builder do his job?

Remember a good builder will be more than 20-25% more efficient if you have limited knowledge of how to coordinate trades, get supplies, work out challenges...so you have to weigh that up in your judgement.

Will every $1 you spend be well spent?

Remember, its not all about kitchen cupboard handles ;) :p

pinkboy:cool:

Thanks guys.

pinkboy...the thing is I don't know what a builder will charge to do...so difficult to determine!

Haha agreed, this kitchen is way worse than just having to replace kitchen cupboard handles lol

Thanks guys.

pinkboy...the thing is I don't know what a builder will charge to do...so difficult to determine!

Haha agreed, this kitchen is way worse than just having to replace kitchen cupboard handles lol

Im sure you know what to do:

List EVERYTHING you want done, get 3-5 quotes and you're away!

Get recommendations from people for builders who are reputable.

Get everything in writing!

Be confident and assertive what you want within reason.

Be prepared to pay a decent hourly rate plus 20%+ margin on materials.

pinkboy

MsAli,

What is a size of house??

can you post some pics??

i just renovated 3 bedroom single (assuming you have 2 story house based on you listed floorboard and carpets) stroy house and it needed extensive plastering, cost was $3000 (includes Walls, ceiling,and plastering)

As others said, if you go with builder, it will be cost +20% margin.

did you try serviceseeking.com??

Hi all,

For full internal renovations I am wondering if it's worth hiring a builder (for the likes of flooring, paint, kitchen, bathrooms etc). I am keen to know this as I'm not hands on and considering coordinating multiple trades may not be so cost effective or efficient? Especially if turn key builds are around $165k-200k, would it make sense to estimate $50k for an internal renovation (no punched walls).

Following are some numbers I've done for a house - would appreciate your input.

Laundry 2,000
Painting 8,000
Kitchen 8,000
Blinds 1,500
Bathroom (x 2) 20,000
Electricals 1,200
Floor boards 5,000
Carpet 3,000
Window Glass/Tip/Cleanup 3,000
Total 51,700

Thanks,
MsAli

The trap would be in the age of the building,and the internal fitoff,,I would not hire a builder he will put his 20 % on top no matter the outcome,you would have do a full re-wire,and replumbing so your cost factor would be
low in that area..imh0..

MsAli as you know I am hands on renovator... but nothing there needs a builder.

At most you might package it up with a home renovation mob who will project manage it for you.. at a fee built into their costs.

I am a good renovator/PM for coordinating trades that I use outside my own skills... I would really suggest that as you look at building your portfolio, you build skills in PM and contractor management, it will save you a fortune longer term.

Back