hole in ground - DIY?

Hi all,

There was some plumbing work done on the IP. The plumber didn't cover up the hole with dirt; he said we can get some 'maintenance' guy to cover it up. (Cause he would have charge us a 'plumber' rate)

The hole exposes the pipe/drain, it is not small (e.g. 50cm deep)

If we cover the hole ourselves, will we run into problems (legal) ?

I will ask my PM this question as well but would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks

If you fill it in properly you should be OK;

Properly means - fill it in using 150mm layers compacting each layer properly before starting the next layer. If the existing material is more mud than soil replace with sand or gravel. f

If you just fill it in one go it will settle for months afterwards which will be dangerous

I have just filled in with sand and stomping on the dirt every 10cms. I use water from a hose to help the sand compact

Hi all,

There was some plumbing work done on the IP. The plumber didn't cover up the hole with dirt; he said we can get some 'maintenance' guy to cover it up. (Cause he would have charge us a 'plumber' rate)

The hole exposes the pipe/drain, it is not small (e.g. 50cm deep)

If we cover the hole ourselves, will we run into problems (legal) ?

I will ask my PM this question as well but would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks
Buy one third of a mts of drainage gravel and pack that around the pipework then back-fill the rest in,the cost for one third of a mts is less then 20 bucks..ihmo..

Lazy @rts plumber. Bl??dy prima Donna.

I don't care if I had to pay plumber's rates to fill the hole - he is there, so no waiting, no call out fee/minimum charge for the handyman and he is exposing you to risk of the tenant falling into the hole though he would be liable as he has left it in an unsafe condition and a clear breach of whs.

If you weren't available, how long until someone fell in or it got filled in? Is an accident foreseeable? How serious?

Actually this plumber didn't dig the hole. A previous plumber did the digging and stuffed up his job and left. We got another plumber to fix the problem, he fixed it but has left the hole...

At least the first plumber did put some 'safety' fencing around the hole so tenants won't fall in.

Back