Holiday Rentals

We have fairly recently diversed into a holiday rental in the Gippsland area, Victoria.
Does anyone have any tips as to how to advertise the property for rental. The local agent is handling it, but is dragging feet at getting it up on his internet site.
It is though on his printed list, and he has obtained only one weeks rent.
How else can I cheeply reach a potential market?
It is being offered at the lower end of holiday rental, where the people provide their own linen, pillows, towels, while the kitchen, lounge, dining, bedrooms are furnished.

If I also offer it with linen (optional), how do I cost this expense? Is there anyone else out there who offers linen as an option, and how do they cost it?

For a holiday in Gippsland with lake and ocean beach access, where do people look? Where could these people be from? Melbourne, Canberra? etc?

In preparing the place, how do I make it more attractive, what information do people find useful, encouraging them to book?

Once they are there what information do they find useful to mean they come back and recommend you to others?

Sorry about the dumbness of these questions, but to help focus how to get the best out of this new venture, I'd love to here from someone with some ideas / experience in this area, either as users of holiday rentals or investors offering this sort of business.

justamum,

Besides the websites you could advertise in the states motoring
mags, like the NRMA (for nsw) and the RACV or whatever it is for VIC. They have large sections for people on driving hols.

good luck

I was thinking that possibly a listing in the RACV magazine might be useful, since it has fairly large distribution. Only problem is there are *heaps* of classifieds in there.

RACV members receive this every second month I think.

Hi JustAMum

You could also check out the possibility of leaving flyers at the local tourist information bureau. You might need to run this past the managing agent first though.

Hi,
Added to the flyers concept I know of someone who puts flyers in all the bill payment posts such as Visa, phone etc.. They seem to get quite a few hits.

Plus, read the following book - I have and it has helped me in working out a marketing plan for my weekend rental:

"The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing".

Marc

Thanks for those responses.
I now finally have AN add up on the internet, and assessing other options there.
Also I have my first direct booking through an ad in a local school newsletter in Melbourne.
I'm also getting a little flyer together - and see what response I get from that.

Also, with Holiday houses, does anyone have suggestions-recommendations for a short notice to suggest people use water wisely due to the drought?
In caravan parks in the past I've often seen these notices. Has anyone used them in Holiday rental houses? And if so what wording might be effective but not offensive?

Are there any other problems people have often/sometimes had with holiday rental incidents?

Back