Holsworthy South West Sydney

Hi Guys ,

I need your input on holsworthy as a living suburb.

I am first home buyer looking to buy 3 BR house / townhouse arround $400K mark. I looked up this suburb and looks good , it is in the mornington estate built up by Mirvac. Went there over the weekend , I really like the layout of the townhouse. BUT , I am not too sure about its potential and facility arround it even the safety.

My plan is to buy it and rent it for 6month before I moved in. The current tenant is really neat and clean but he's paying $390pw only.

Pro :
* 2 Mins walk from the train station
* Torrens title with cheap community fee for the landscape and pool
* 3 decent size BR with ensuite

Cons:
* 30-40mins drive to CBD with Toll fee $3.80 each way.
* No shopping centre within 5mins radius
* Not aware of any school or hospital arround ( MAIN concern ) but the agent told me that they eventually will build the local shopping centre in the front of the estate. ( Not sure when it will happen )

What do you think guys?

Thank for the input!

It's a nice spot if you are catching public transport, however, if you buy there you will need to use your car to do your shopping.
Most people do this anyway.

The closest shopping centre is in Wattle grove, 5 mins drive.
(20 mins walk) It has Coles and some other shops.
There is another small 1 in Hammondville.
The closest major shopping centre is in Liverpool. (10 mins drive)
The same with the hospital
The primary school and High schools are walking distance.

From the crime point of view, Holsworthy/Wattle grove are amongs the lowest in the Liverpool council.
A small % of the population there are army families the rest are civilians.

Here is the suburb profile
http://www.domain.com.au/public/SuburbProfile.aspx?searchTerm=Holsworthy&mode=buy

If you need price statistics send me a PM with the street address and will send you selling stats.

the agent told me that they eventually will build the local shopping centre in the front of the estate. ( Not sure when it will happen )
The council probably wouldn't allow another shopping centre so close to Wattle Grove. but maybe he's heard of mcdonalds opening up down on heatchcote rd where the round about is.

The council probably wouldn't allow another shopping centre so close to Wattle Grove. but maybe he's heard of mcdonalds opening up down on heatchcote rd where the round about is.

He said to me arround the big round about before the entrance.

I didn't know that Wattle grove has the coles.That would be great. Mostly I will catch the train to City and drive around over the weekend.

Thank for your feedback BV. I'll pm you on the street name.Thank again!

He said to me arround the big round about before the entrance.
That will be a McDonalds I am told.
I didn't know that Wattle grove has the coles.That would be great. Mostly I will catch the train to City and drive around over the weekend.
It's a good size coles as well.
Nice little shopping centre IMO, it had a fire a few years back and they've rebuilt it.

thank for the reply and price stat BV.

I'll inspect the house again over the weekend , hope they can give me a better deal.Cheers.

Nasal Aprasal

I know the area roughly and feel it is a good area.
My advise to you would be to get out there and drive around the area, not just in the day but also at night. get a REAL feel for the area.
Then even walk the streets :eek:

Do NOT just rely on Google and Estate agents opinions.

Pretty well my opinion for any where I am going to purchase.:)

Google and agents adds may show a lovely mowed lawn and immaculate home.

But Next door there is trash everywhere. And most of the area around is the same.

Nasal appraisal !

Amazes me how people will spend hundreds of thousands on a property at the advise of strangers who all have a interest in the deal.:eek:
But will not spend $1k to fly there and a day or 2 to inspect what they are purchasing :mad:

Gee Cee

Old Fart running on old rules

dna4
Gee Cee has reminded me of another thing.
You will be very close to the Holsworthy barracks.
I don't know if this is a problem, check it out by asking the neighbours there.
I am suspecting you will probably be woken up when the army have training

Last edited:
Cheers,

Thank guys for the feedback.

I spoke with the agent yesterday , the owner is pretty unreasonable . They won't bother with anything less than the asking price.Not even a cents according to the RE agent. So I canceled my inspection straight away.

Probably, this unit won't sell fast and eventually the owner will realize that they trying to sell it above market price.

So , I guessed ? another property hunt then!

Cheers,

Thank guys for the feedback.

I spoke with the agent yesterday , the owner is pretty unreasonable . They won't bother with anything less than the asking price.Not even a cents according to the RE agent.

Its because they know they can get it.
Maybe you should reconsider because it won't get any cheaper.
Prices at the lower end have been increaasing so anyone looking for entry level property will soon say, hung on, $380K for a firbo and $420 for new and will go for new

Yes It looks like Maccas is all set to open.

Follow these links:
1. http://www.liverpool.nsw.gov.au/LCC/INTERNET/trimDownloadDocument.aspx?number=217751.2008

2. http://www.liverpoolchampion.com.au/news/local/news/general/golden-arches-green-light/1255096.aspx

As for safety etc, being a local resident (1 year), I've generally felt very safe in the suburb. No bad experiences yet.

However, Ive observed street racing (maybe even drunk-driving) after midnight on two weekends. The racing usually happens in Bardia PDE and neighbouring streets (Wewak Road, Derna Road, Village Way, Australis Ave). All the times Ive witnessed, its after mid-night. Maybe its something to do with the Pub in shopping village remaining open until mid-night.

Graffiti is a widespread issue in all of the suburb. This includes even Wattle Grove. Ive seen Holsworthy station repainted and vandalised repeatedly 5 times now in a span of 1 year. Corner block houses and houses on the school path are also vandalised.

Hope this helps.

30 - 40 mins drive will easily be double in the morning peak hour. M5 will typically be bumper to bumper until King George Road. But you can reimburse the toll fee.

So true Sunfish :)

Does anyone know the old washing powder in the window joke about Holsworthy/Wattle Grove?

To do with soldiers missus' while they're away. Bit rude for me to put it up here.

So true Sunfish :)

Does anyone know the old washing powder in the window joke about Holsworthy/Wattle Grove?

To do with soldiers missus' while they're away. Bit rude for me to put it up here.

Is that the On My Own one? Do they still sell OMO?

True for Lavarack in Townsville too.

That's close enough. Its 'old mans out' for OMO and there is another one for FAB, which i cant type here.:D

There are a couple more i think. Just cant remember them.

Is that the On My Own one? Do they still sell OMO?

True for Lavarack in Townsville too.

Back