hot water system- First timer

Hi all,

The PM called this morning. The hot water system in the IP has broken down.
:eek:

This is my first IP and first time issue.

How does it work from here. I mean can I ask the PM to get a quote and I get mine?

Any suggestions on the hot water systems?? How much I looking at?

thanks

Vulcan Vs Rheem

Vulcan Vs Rheem - are they similar things with just branding difference?

couple of hundred cheaper on the vulcan - is it worth it?

it depends on what the problem is, most of the time the HWS breaking down mught be simply a faulty valve or element. The PM should first send a plumber around (give her a limit of how much she can spend if it is just a repair) if the unit needs to be replaced then get a quote over the phone.

It should be clearly stated that you are under a very strict time limit - no hot water consitutes as an urgent repair and hence the PM/Landlord has 24 hours to repair it. You do not have the luxury of obtaining 3 quotes and looking around for a week for the best deal

Depending on the type of unit, size etc generally you are probably not going to get much change out of $1500-$2000 to supply & install a new unit

Cheers

Yeah your going to need to work fast on this one.
Find out what the problem is first, you might be lucky to
just need a new element or thermostat.

If you want a good deduction buy new, if you want a cheap fix
you could get onto ebay and get a newish hot water service from
all the property owners going solar.

I know a bloke who got one recently for $150 but the plumber
charged him $300 for install.

Don't just leave this up to the agent as they may have there own
plumber who give backhanders back to the agents.

Best of luck.

If the hotwater system needs replacing, I would simply go with whatever the existing one is.

ie. If its an instant gas, replace it with an instant gas, electric tank with electric tank and so on.

If the HWS is older than 10 years probably better of replacing it.

It could be fixable as long as the boiler tank isn't leaking. Well for Gas ones anyways, electric probably would be more to repair if the element goes..

I would call up a plumbers supply shop to check out what average price they normally sell for so you get a an idea if the tradie is padding the price of goods or not..

If your pressed for time would probably have to go with who ever comes up with a reasonable price to replace/repair.

Last time my father just purchased a HWS from a trade plumbers supply shop on the cheap, then got the cheapest professional labour to install. Bypassed the disposal fee for old system as he kept it for next council hard rubbish.

At our holiday house our small part-time HWS (gas) lasted for 25 years.. Two times it just had issues with the burner and it kept on going..

Think you can get a rebate if you switch from electric to gas, but would take too much time to do so if your in a hurry.

It could be fixable as long as the boiler tank isn't leaking.

That indeed was the issue - the boiler tank "exploded" and there was water all over the place.

Got a VULCAN of the same size (135L i think) installed yest - all done by 2 pm- thanks to all you guys advice and some phone calls.

Total cost =$975 including GST- friendly plumber who installed it as well.

Thanks again for all the help! :)

That indeed was the issue - the boiler tank "exploded" and there was water all over the place.

Got a VULCAN of the same size (135L i think) installed yest - all done by 2 pm- thanks to all you guys advice and some phone calls.

Thanks again for all the help! :)

Not a bad price... Saw on Elgas.com.au the unit costs $758 so $217 labour is pretty good.. :D

Saw another price online for same unit and labour @ $1400 :eek:

Good to hear it was fixed quickly and painlessly.

These are the tradesmen who's contact details you hold on to. Makes life easier when down the track you have a group of people that are trustworthy, who's work you know to be good, and charge a fair price.

PLumber's details?

Hi there. Our HWS also broke - well, is leaking - and I need to find out whether it's just the anode or TPR valve or if we need to replace and would love your friendly plumber's contact details please??

Thanks so much!

PLumber's details

I need to find out whether it's just the anode or TPR valve or if we need to replace and would love your friendly plumber's contact details please??

Back