House and Land - Ipswich

House and Land - Ipswich??

Hi

My partner and i are looking to invest in a house and land package in the Ipswich suburb, Brassall. What are the draw backs from buying in an estate? or a house and land package in general?

Cheers:)

Last edited:
Hi and welcome
Firstly let me say that I do not like new housing estates at all and am very biased against them. The houses are designed for southern climates and I find them unattractive ghettos. Obviously a lot of others don't as people live there and there are investors on this forum who have done well in them. I belevie that you are better off getting an infill site closer to the city and have something new built.
Drawbacks
Supply- They keep making more house and land packages, especially in a suburb like BRassall where they can just kep pushing out towards the motorway and then go beyond it if neccessary

I know chippies that are building in this estate and they say the quality of the building is Cr@p. A lot of the houses being built are being pumped out to suit investors and they are told by the builder to go for speed not quality.

Like I said I have a philosophical as well as a financial dislike of new housing estates like the one you are talking about.

BT

my 2 cents worth:

- ensure the immediate area you wish to buy into is closer to key ammenities than any land held back for future development ie u don't want to be further from schools/ shops/ public transport than houses built in 2 years

- check the covenents for the estate- is a minimum size required and what styles are allowed. Try to envisage how the area will look to buyers in 10 years- suitability for climate/ streetscapes etc

- get a good independant building inspection ;)

Good luck

Dont Rob People From Making Good Decisions

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a new estate, in fact in that area i would much rather be beside brand new homes than termite infested post war homes and weatherboard shacks, which can be the norm.

A new estate is good, however watch the number of investment properties being built.

Brassall has some better estates than others so keep this in mind too, along with the fact that there will eb alot of building activity there in the next few years and alot of stock on the market.

Dont believe the negativity....

Estates aren't evryone's cup of tea - so to speak. Definately not mine - anyone seen PLeasantville with Jim Carey? But that is my personal opinion.

From an Investment point of view I only know that houses in estate areas in my area and that of anyone I know in them, are cheaper to buy, than comparative houses in the same area out of the estate.

Back