house completely designed in white

There's no such thing as too much white. :D

Well ok, maybe that house has just a little too much, but a few bits of color here and there, with some nice artwork, rug etc. and it wouldn't be too far from being beautiful in my opinion. :p

Meh.

For a white only design to work you need some strong vibrant colour pieces to create interest. They haven't done that so it is just bland.

Also the design of the house doesn't appear much different to a cookie cutter mcmansion, enhancing the tedium.

Yuck, can't stand white houses. Apparently we have to paint a whole room 40% grey as the mrs is a photographer and that's the most neutral colour.

Also, imagine the hangovers! Would be multiplied 10 fold! :p

Yuck, can't stand white houses. Apparently we have to paint a whole room 40% grey as the mrs is a photographer and that's the most neutral colour.

Should be 18% reflectance if you want half way between black and white. 40% will be way too dark. (Reflectance is logarithmic so mid grey is not 50%.)

Try a few different brands of paint and use "practical tests" (i.e., take some photographs with a calibrated test chart) to check for infrared and ultraviolet reflectance which our eyes won't see but the camera light sensor (or film) might pick up as a red or blue colour cast respectively. Also test under different light sources: daylight, xenon flash, fluorescent and tungsten photo lights.

Should be 18% reflectance if you want half way between black and white. 40% will be way too dark. (Reflectance is logarithmic so mid grey is not 50%.)

Try a few different brands of paint and use "practical tests" (i.e., take some photographs with a calibrated test chart) to check for infrared and ultraviolet reflectance which our eyes won't see but the camera light sensor (or film) might pick up as a red or blue colour cast respectively. Also test under different light sources: daylight, xenon flash, fluorescent and tungsten photo lights.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's more than possible that she said 18 and I've got the wrong number in mind. She's done the BA of Photography at RMIT which is ridiculously hard to get into. I'll leave the expert to this one ;)

Back