House of Horrors

This story was on News.com.au.

Its the story of what the owners of the house (where that little girl starved to death last year) want the Government to do with the house (Buy it and burn it down they say)

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24632066-2,00.html

What do you think should be done about this house? Do you think it should be demolished? What would you want to do if you were the owners?

I'm just curious as to how people would react to this.

I have enormous sympathy for the owners. Such a devastating thing to happen to them. (Which does not diminish the tragedy for the poor little girl in any way).

I do believe the government should buy the house off them but not burn it down. There are plenty of highly vulnerable people in our society that need shelter. Clean it up and turn it over as a refuge for battered women.

Yep, I understand the dilema...................but really? People die in houses all the time.

Old people die at home. 40 year olds have heart attacks and die at home. Toddlers die in home swimming pools. People overdose on drugs and die in homes. Rock stars die in hotel rooms hanging on the back of doors. People pass away on flights in aircraft.....yadda yadda.

We can't go burning all these homes, hotels & airplanes down...........can we?

:(

Yep, I understand the dilema...................but really? People die in houses all the time.

Old people die at home. 40 year olds have heart attacks and die at home. Toddlers die in home swimming pools. People overdose on drugs and die in homes. Rock stars die in hotel rooms hanging on the back of doors. People pass away on flights in aircraft.....yadda yadda.

We can't go burning all these homes, hotels & airplanes down...........can we?

:(

these are only the storys we here a lot worse happens in this discusting world of ours i know of some realy horrible things that the public dont know about, so so sad when children are cought up in this, so sad!

I was renting a house a few years ago (one of those old houses with axminster carpet, lavender walls and floral wallpaper - was on a corner block and bought by a developer) and I was standing on the back verandah watching the new house being built in the backyard.

The old guy next door stuck his head over the fence and commented that the husband who used to live there died right where I was standing.

The PM didn't tell us that, I'd bet the developer didn't know that, and I'll bet the couple who bought the house for twice the price a year after the developer sold the new house in the backyard didn't know that either.

I live in a converted funeral parlour now and unsurprisingly I havn't heard a single story of a death in this house (they were dead before they got here in boxes), although I've heard heaps of stories about deaths in other houses in the town, with varying levels of macabre.

everyone loves macabre - don;t they...? always wanting to bring it down.

the little girl story is disgusting and shocking and incredbly sad, but it wasn't the house's fault.

I dont get the big deal about people dying in houses? Obviously the original post is slightly different, but even so....

But you don't have to declare to possible tenants or buyers or owners if someone just died, only if they died in some violent manner such as this case.

I beleive the NSW Gov has a lot to answer for with the references they provided, obviously someone in the department new the truth and decided to omit those details.
There was a time when you could be held accountable for any reference you give, obviously this does not apply to a government.
They are correct in seaking compensation for the Gov, but not buring it down etc, just get them to restore the property back to its original state.

Yes, horrible events with the little girl, just horrible.

What is the law that says you have to declare it?

In NSW under section 52 of the Property, Stock and Business Agents Act 2002, the obligation to disclose a “material fact” lies with the Agent. Section 52 provides:

Misrepresentation by licensee or registered person
(1) A person who, while exercising or performing any function as a licensee or registered person, by any statement, representation or promise that is false, misleading or deceptive (whether to the knowledge of the person or not) or by any concealment of a material fact (whether intended or not), induces any other person to enter into any contract or arrangement is guilty of an offence against this Act.

Maximum penalty: 200 penalty units

Defining what amounts to a “material fact” for the purposes of section 52 is difficult.

The decision of Hinton & Ors v Commissioner of Fair Trading (GD) [2007] NSWADTAP 17 provides some guidance. Paragraph 37 sets out that:

[An] act may become ‘material’ within the meaning of s.52 in two ways – it can become ‘material’ because in the particular circumstances it is known by the agent to be ‘material’ to the particular consumer, even though the agents and consumers may not typically regard the matter as ‘material’. The other way in which it may become ‘material’ is by the application of an objective standard which has regard to what a reasonably informed consumer with a fair minded understanding of the real estate market, including the role of the real estate agent, would regard as ‘material’.

The decision in Hinton involved the sale of a property that had been the scene of a triple murder; the agent failed to disclose this to the purchaser. The decision, to some extent, clarifies the Agent’s obligation to disclose a “material fact” to potential purchasers by effectively removing the subjective element and establishing an objective test.

A Principal has no legal obligation to disclose material facts. At present, a Principal’s disclosure obligations in relation to the sale of property only extend to the matters set out in the Conveyancing Act 1919 and the Conveyancing (Sale of Land) Regulation 2005. The obligation to disclose material facts falls to the Agent.

:eek: Nooooo. I just want to go peacefully in my cosy bed. :D

Apologies to you Rockstar - it was not in reference to you

- but I'm sure you know of the guy who I'm talking about........and FWIW he probably had a good time on his way out of this world.;)

Grown ups doing things to themselves is one thing but hurting children who look to adults for protection & guidance is quite another :mad:

Apologies to you Rockstar - it was not in reference to you

- but I'm sure you know of the guy who I'm talking about........and FWIW he probably had a good time on his way out of this world.

Sorry to go off topic, but the guy you are talking about had clinical depression at the time of his death. He was taking anti-depressants coupled with alcohol and a mix of other drugs, probably due to the fact that he was struggling over custody of his child for the Christmas period (and it was looking like he would not get to see her).

I very much doubt he "had a good time" on his way out, despite what the press might have you believe.

I actually knew the guy to some degree, and hate to see this subject discussed so flippantly and with such huge error makes me very sad indeed.

After I bought my PPOR a cop told me my house had a meth lab in it and a 2 year old was killed by one of her parents. I wonder sometimes what room it happened in... It doesnt really effect me though, but would've liked to know prior to purchase ...

in this instance I think due to false references the government is responsible to some degree, but I bet this case is one of many...

Back