Houses near/around Power Lines

Hello Folks,

Just trying to understand how do we know if its not high voltage line and rather a normal power transmission line? Its easy to know/see if the house is in/around the sub-station but not sure how to know high transmission lines. Which are kinda no go criteria for our inspections.

Glen and Anna

Basically on how far apart the lines are kept.

eg

These are "normal" residential types

hawaii_powerlines_2.jpg

These are the lower of the high voltage

349613-power-lines.jpg

Then these monsters - notice the "4 wire" lines for current capacity, and they can only carry 3 per tower - 1 line for each phase. Th 2 wires at the top are grounding wires to stop lightning hitting the actual power lines.

power-lines.jpg

The Y-man

Look up what happens to animals which graze under high voltage power lines for many years.

There's a safer distant limit and the rest is just the negative perception - which in most cases sees less value compared to further away properties on average.

Some say it's just an IP, which I won't live in so who cares. I'd tend to think most investors have / should have a conscious of the health and well being of their tenants.

Some say it's just an IP, which I won't live in so who cares. I'd tend to think most investors have / should have a conscious of the health and well being of their tenants.

It is a perception issue - and if you have your IP under a 500KV line, you are limiting your tenant pool down to people wo are willing to live under them.

Also, when it comes time to sell, same issue - smaller pool of buyers, lower price.

Most people avoid houses under HV lines, but seem to have no qualms working in offices (bristling with mobile antennae too) under them, and sending kids to schools and childcare centres under them too.... :rolleyes:

The Y-man

Hi rabidz,

2nd and 3rd pics would be applicable.

Personally i wouldn't like to live next to pic #1 either.

Cheers Spades.

Never understood why the governments of they day never bit the bullet and put all this **** underground. Surely the cost of doing it would be outweighed by what the land value would be now.

When you said "under 500KV line", does it refer to second or third picture above?
Thanks.

The top picture would probably be a 22KV line with a set of transformers (the cylindrical things) stepping it down to 415V on the lower set (you house takes one wire or "phase" of this at 240V).

The middle picture is probably a 360~ish KV

The bottom one is 500KV thing (the highest voltage trnsmission line we use in Victoria)

The Y-man

Hi rabidz,

2nd and 3rd pics would be applicable.

Personally i wouldn't like to live next to pic #1 either.

Cheers Spades.

i actually lived in front of pic one in somerville many years ago. i didnt have prob with it and the house sold in quite a quick time.

Nick.

G'Day neeko,

Fair enough but as i said,i'd personally wouldn't like live next to one nor one out front for that matter.

Anyhow horses for courses,most people are fine with supposedly 'low' EMF from the 1st pic,i'm not.

Cheers Spades.

Hello Guys,
Thanks for your responses.
Appreciate if you can comment further on these three items if its ok or no go type of house where transmission lines are near :

1> This is exact on opposite side of house1 which we inspected :
2a0nkwh.jpg

2> This is like 130-150m away from TownHouse which we inspected (and is on same side of the street as townhouse)
2mzfdl.jpg

3> This house which we inspected and is on corner of street :
2nbr3nm.jpg

Glen and Anna

Sorry to ask again but we really need your help here.

Please comment on picture 1 .....opposite side of house1.
Our offer is accepted by vendor and due to sign in morning.
Agent said there is no issue about this power line at all but yeah we need your inputs.

Anna

ROoster, picture 1 is pretty standard overhead power lines that cover the nations suburban streets. There is no problem with them.

Thanks a lot Dave :)

Hubby and I was bit wondering about it as our offer got accepted without much negotiations and agent asked us to sign contract in morning (Sunday) so we were thinking if there is any issue(s) with it :) and that was the doubt we had in mind about powerline.

Anna

Our doubt is....Is it both?

high voltage on top (11KV?) feeding transformer with low voltage (415V) underneath. bottom cables are either cable or telecoms.

Bog standard residential setup.

22K or 11K on top with that big transformer dropping to 415/240V.

The 22k/11k is very common - the lower the voltage, the greater the loss on the lines, so you wan to run as high as possible as close as possible to the house.

If you want to avoid this, you'd have to live off the grid :)

The Y-man

Glad that this thread was resolved...

Just wanted to point out that the problem with larger HV power lines don't just revolve around perception there are significant cons that should mean you rule out any investment properties that are within 100m of them.

These are:
1. LMI usually will not cover any properties within 100m of HV power lines.
2. Insurers will be reluctant to cover your property and will either reject your application or increase premiums to cover the risk.

We pulled out of negotations after we walsked up and down the street one quiet evening (something worthwhile doing btw). The buzz/humm coming from a transformer directly in front of the house, whilst I am sure you'd come to ignore in time, put us right off and we walked away. We did investigate enough to be comfortable with any EMR and your service provider will replace them if they are deemed noisy...but good luck with that.

Bought a property with the smaller towers running through the street (there's a tower couple of houses up in fact) and 4 of the 8 lines cut the front porch of the property creating an easement. Funny enough a GP has rented the property.....:eek:

Back