• Liberal (John Howard)

Votes: 69 58.0%
  • Labor (Kevin Rudd)

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • Other

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think people have very good memories around the place Don't you remember in the old labour goverment 18-33 percent interest rate?

That was the other thing I forgot to mention in my first post. Geez don't get me started on that one. I was a recently divorced mother of two with a mortgage to pay off during those high interest times.

I've also been wondering why Johnny's getting such a flogging about interest rates when they're nowwhere near what we endured under Labor.

Yep, definately short memories.

Olly

Interesting observation Olly, but I can't help with that.

Myself, well I'm voting for Kev Krudd.

Very selfish reasons of course. Moving AWA's in the past (private to State to Federal) always comes with a bucket of cash, and yes I'll have some more of that thanks...........:)

Had to laugh when Labor got in the state level over here. RT ran as fast as they could to the Federal agreements and when it came time sign.....not many would, until they came back with the cash

No where to run to as of Saturday you thieving lying b@stards.

ciao

who is good at history? I would be curious to know when we last had 100% state and federal labor governments.

Norwester - sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about. Dumb question but who is RT and who came back with cash? Not really clued up on these AWA things but why would they be moving? My understanding is they remain effective until they expire then you will fall onto the award.

Thats awesome! Never heard that one before, and I LOVE conspiracy theories!!!

Maybe Harold Holt was steering the Tampa?

Got any more?

TB
Nope, but sure I can make some up, give me a minute, most of the real fun ones been done.
Harold Holt, & Elvis, just went home, thank you MIB

An excellent summary of the Howard years in today's Age.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/robert-manne/2007/11/22/1195321945509.html

Definately worth a read.

TheAge said:
With the arrival of the Tampa at Christmas Island, in late August 2001, it decided on an even more brutal strategy — to use military force to drive all asylum seekers away. To legitimise its cruelty, the Government let the people believe a lie: that the Iraqi refugees had thrown their own children into the ocean. In the long term, mendacity and a carnal desire for power at almost any cost became the trademarks of the Government. In the short term, "border control" hysteria helped Howard win the November 2001 election.
That's a quote about Tampa, but there's a lot more concise insight into the Howard years in that opinion article. Very succinctly makes the case for why Howard's reign is about to come to an end.

Cheers,
Michael.

In my experience most business owners and highly motivated and ambitious people vote Liberal, while the victim mentality, us against the boss types tend to vote Labour.
Funny, that's not been my experience. In fact, I have the (potentially misplaced) perception that the upwardly aspirant vote for the Liberals. The so-called "Howard Battlers". The intellectual elite see through the hollow neo-conservative rhetoric and vote for social justice.

That's been my experience anyway. Steven Hawking, with an IQ over 200 and arguably the world's most intelligent man, is passionately anti-neoconservatives. And therefore, by extension, anti Bush and Howard.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/1031-03.htm

My own personal situation runs contrary to your agument too. I am a Director of an ASX300 company and am on a $200K+ annual salary and I am passionately anti-Howard and pro social justice. I marched against the Iraq war, which I knew in advance to be on unfounded fears of WOMD and part of the Bush/Howard spin, and I also consistently vote green.

Generalising that its the "us against the bosses" types that vote labour is a misconception IMHO.

I think the older generations vote Liberal due to their ever reducing tolerance for change and their more conservative world views. Probably also as a result of having lived through some serious wars and not holding an all encompassing multi-cultural social justice view of the world.

I think the younger generations vote Green or Labour becuase they are still passionate about fairness and equity and are more concerned with social justice than in nationalism and border protection.

All just MHO.

Cheers,
Michael.

An excellent summary of the Howard years in today's Age.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/robert-manne/2007/11/22/1195321945509.html

Definately worth a read.

That's a quote about Tampa, but there's a lot more concise insight into the Howard years in that opinion article. Very succinctly makes the case for why Howard's reign is about to come to an end.

Cheers,
Michael.

I read that the new $400m detention centre on christmas island has never had a detainee. that's taxpayers money well spent.

Dear Micheal,

So, which Party are you likely to vote for tommorrow and can we also know your reasons for voting them, please. What do you see as the probable voting outcome tommorrow for this Federal Elections, please?

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Dear All,

1. In yesterday's "Different Opinions" Programme, it was argued that there was no real education revolution being offered by Kevin Rudd nor by John Howard with respect to fixing the existing educational crisis in the Australian public school system, including the teaching staff shortage and its appropiate salary levels to ensure how Australia will develop to have the best educational system in the world.

2. Likewise, there wasn't any strong debate on how to further overhaul and improve the overall health system for Australia and make it more accessible and affordable for an average Australian household and especially among the elderly Australians.

3. Neither was there any in-depth discussion on how to make the existing political system more efficient and effective both at the Federal Government and the various local State levels nor was the issue on how to develop a collective vision and consensus for Australia to move forward into the 21st Century successfully.

4. The other thing which I sort of observe that is also missing from the debate is the proper role of economic management in Australia especially with respect to forward overall planning for the Australian Economy as well as actual (executive) central agency responsible for the real time economic management in Australia as well as to the extent the executive monetary/fiscal decisions are to be made by an independant and newly created RBA vs the Australian Treasury vs the Finance Ministry.

5. For me, this Australian Federal Elections does not seem to be an General Elections on how to move Australia forward successfully into the 21st Century.

6. Rather, it seems to be a real "power" struggle between the Federal ALP Team under Kevin Rudd vs the incumbent ruling Liberal Coalition Party for the rights to "govern" Australia, rather than to better serve the average Australians and to lead Australia into a new level of success into the 21st Century.

7. The real power lies with the Australian voters. not only in deciding the outcome for this Federal Election tommorrow, but as well as the decide on the exact nature of politics "permissible" in Australia, for example prohibition of "vote-buying" bribery populist measures, use of "smear" or "scare" campaigns, level of personal integrity, honesty and transparency expected of its political parties and leaders etc.

8. Beside deciding on the outcome for this Federal Elections tommorrow, how then does an average Australian then decide the kind of the Government that is truly required and desired by its Australian peoples, to successfully lead Australia into the 21st Century.

9. For your further comments and discussion, please.

10. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
I can't see all that much difference between Labor and Liberal to be honest. I don't think either of them will do a "bad" job.

I honestly haven't decided yet, but don't want to continue to see one party have control of the upper and lower house.

For me the pluses for labor are:
Appear to be focussed on providing infrastructure and fixing services like education and health. My opinion is that we should be using the economic boom to provide infrastructure to get us through to the next boom.

Negatives for labor are:
Too sympathetic to the unions. Unions have their place, but I tend to think that in many ways that they aren't as relevant today as they were. There are so many protections in place now that the unions really should be focussed on making sure company's and individuals adhere to the rules, rather than trying to bring a company to it's knees. If the employer is prosperous, then the employees are more likely to be rewarded. Cutting off a company's money supply ain't gonna help anyone.

Don't support Nuclear power, though Rudd does have a point, in that Liberals haven't explored all renewable energy alternatives.

Pluses for Liberal
Umm, can't really think of any, except Costello is a good treasurer (even though I don't like him much)

Negatives for Liberal
Appear to be trying to buy votes with tax cuts. Seem to be focussed on the immediate with little focus on the future.

I don't think Costello will make a good PM. Abbott is a slimeball. Religion and Politics should never mix. Both have their place, but I think there are some senior liberals let their religious beliefs override their representation of their electorate.

Campaign is focussed on why not to vote for labor rather than why to vote for liberal

I think that the liberals are dishonest. Promises about interest rates, tampa etc show this.

On interest rates, I don't think either party has any real power there, except to curtail government spending. Neither party seems willing to do this, but at least the country will be getting something for it (new infrastructure) under Rudd (if the policies can be beleived). I don't think tax cuts are going to put any downward pressure on rates.

Rates are going to go up regardless. The mining boom is going to end, regardless, eventually. Property prices and rents are going to be associated more with the mining boom than anything else (at least in WA). Giving money to battlers to buy a house isn't going to make them cheaper. It's simply going to increase demand.

To me, this vote is about who we dislike the least.

who is good at history? I would be curious to know when we last had 100% state and federal labor governments.

Ausprop

We have never had wall to wall (State and Federal) Labor governments. There was a period in the late 1970s/early 1980s when we had wall-to-wall Liberal governments, but that only lasted for about 4 months (if my memory serves me correctly).

Cheers
LynnH

Last edited:
Dear All,

6. Rather, it seems to be a real "power" struggle between the Federal ALP Team under Kevin Rudd vs the incumbent ruling Liberal Coalition Party for the rights to "govern" Australia, rather than to better serve the average Australians and to lead Australia into a new level of success into the 21st Century.

I think Kenneth hit the Nail on the head with that one.

Dear Puppeteer,

Does voting for the Green or the Democrats actually better serve your interests then? This is especially so in providing an effective check-and-balance in the Senate as opposed to the present one which is "controlled" by the Liberal Coalition majority

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

To me, this vote is about who we dislike the least.
Dear Puppeteer,

1. This is a "Hobson" choice. Never accept it nor waste your precious Vote.

2. Does a unduely high level of "Protest" votes counts in Australian Politics? Does casting a "Protest" vote, much able to effectively represent the Australian people's real unhappiness and gross dissatisfaction with their Government, in this case then?

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
So, which Party are you likely to vote for tommorrow and can we also know your reasons for voting them, please.
Green on both tickets and have already voted. Reasons in the post earlier in this thread:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=351229&postcount=11

What do you see as the probable voting outcome tommorrow for this Federal Elections, please?
And here's what I reckon the outcome is likely to be:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=351293&postcount=133

Cheers,
Michael.

Hi Kenneth,

Greens or Democrats may well be an option for the upper house, though the Greens Industrial Relations policy seems even more unioncentric than Labor's.

And don't get me wrong - I don't intend to waste my vote. What I'm saying is it's very difficult to decide where I should direct my vote as there are, for me at least, major policy flaws with both major parties, and even the Greens.

For me, it's about which of those negatives I'm prepared to accept. I see more reasons not to vote for each party than I see reasons TO vote for each one. Maybe this has something to do with how the election campaigns have been run.

Maybe I'll just count the number of pieces of junk mail I've received over the last 6 months from the candidates and vote for the one that has wasted the least money sending me junk mail. :)

And there's no point puting in a protest vote IMHO.

I wonder how many people would vote for "No Candidate" if given the choice. By some wierd twist of fate it was compulsory for "No Candidate" to appear on our University Senate election forms so if the student population didn't like any of the candidates, they could opt to leave the position vacant or in caretaker mode pending further elections with new candidates.

On second thoughts, I don't think I could stand much more electioneering.

Back