How close to Train Tracks & Train Station would you Buy a Property?

Close enough to walk. Far enough away to not hear it.

As a light sleeper, none of those options would suit.

Ideally between 500m (7 min walk) - 1km (15 min walk) for me.

My personal goldilocks zone changes depending on whether it is houses or units but... Generally speaking I find the 500m -1KM distance being optimal. I consider properties 300m - 1.5KM more broadly though. Many geographical, noise, human traffic, and affluence variables do undermine these nuanced choices, however. No silver bullet, each station-nearing property needs to be considered based on its own merits.

I've got a weird theory on buying near the tracks for IPs

If you buy close to the tracks there are a few benefits

- you can buy into a suburb you could not otherwise afford
- you can get a better than average rental yield

Ok so the argument against is the capital growth being not as good

My argument against that is - if you buy near the tracks in a really good sought after suburb your growth should track that of other stock in the area. Yes your place will always be cheaper but there would be plenty of people lining up for an affordable entry point into their favourite suburb even if it meant sacrificing a bit of peace and quiet

In Brisbane houses a certain distance to train station - like 100 or 200 m are allowed to have a higher gfa - gross floor area. You should also check council zoning maps . Could be zoned for 2-3 story buildings or units etc - ie higher/bigger/denser than normal house's etc

Back