How did you find your PM?

A couple of weeks ago, I discovered that my PM hadn't been doing lots of things that they should have been (one tenant hadn't been able to use the upstairs bathroom for 4 months after repairs weren't done! :eek:, one place was leased at the wrong rent, one tenant had fallen 18 days into arrears, I could go on, but I won't....)

Anyway, I ended up discontinuing their services. This is now the 3rd PM that I've let go. Looking at some of the threads on here, poor property management seems to be common, and it got me wondering how do people find their PM's? Especially good ones? I just looked on the internet, spoke to 3 face-to-face and then picked whichever one sounded like they would do the best job. I think I need a better way!

I have trouble finding my PM. I email and leave phone messages but it is often hard to find her.

But in regards to finding a new PM- just as Starter says. Recommendations.

Sometimes you can have a change of personel at an agency. The worst PM I ever had was at an agency I came back to- this PM is fantastic.

At least you have choice in Sydney.

I reckon you call up the ones that your associates have recommended to you, then arrange interviews with them. Have a list of questions and note the answers so you can compare them all later. My experience........the lowest fee, the friendliest face and the nicest legs are seldom reliable indicators.
The agent I have now in Newcastle is great, because I can talk to the owner of the place when I want to and they have a guaranteed call back/email back policy with time limits of 3 hours.
Just some ideas of what to look for mate.

I actually met mine at court - I was assisting a tenant at the time, and the PM was very good and professional in representing the owner.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the properties are in Sydney, so fortunately I do have a fair bit of choice.

It looks like everyone uses recommendations. Would be interested to hear from people who don't have a network of landlords with IP's in the same area? (Of course, I know Somersoft is always helpful for recommendations!)

Back