How do I clean a wooden door?

How do I clean a wooden door? It has a few cement smears on it from the tradesmen.

Also, how do I paint a wooden door after I've cleaned it? Do I put primer on it or something first?

I'm totally clueless.

Hi Jenny,

More to the point....have you paid these tradesmen??? I would be withholding payment until it is rectified or taking out what works out to say 2 hours worth of time to employ a cleaner to fix the problem.

Glenn

I've paid a check measure deposit and tomorrow I'm paying most of the balance for the bathroom and Thursday I'm paying most of the balance for the kitchen so what will be left to pay is $350 for the bathroom and $350 for the kitchen on completion. The kitchen and bathroom are being done by the same people.

Jenny

I'm with Glenn on this one; ask them to clean up properly before final payment, and if they dont, get a quote from a prof. cleaner and deduct that figure from the final payment.

I did the same recently, when a job wasn't finished.

Make sure you tell them in writing though, just to cover yourself. Faxing a letter is a good option, if your fax prints out a transaction report.

Jenny,
When the door is cleaned of cement is it virgin timber or previously painted?
If new timber, then you will have to prime it first and then give two coats of either enamel or acrylic gloss. Enamel is harder but a pain in the ass to paint with!
If previously painted, sand it first to give the new paint something to grip onto, then 2 coats will do the trick.
Happy painting!

Back