How do you book your overseas holidays? Hints, Tips

I'd imagine it would be heaps easier to use a travel agent to plan trip and someone you trust. Do you need to book about a year in advance to get best deals? If so, being a year in advance what insurance would you take if you had to cancel. I know a couple of people in the travel industry so I guess best bet would be run through destination and see what the offer?

I'd imagine it would be heaps easier to use a travel agent to plan trip and someone you trust. Do you need to book about a year in advance to get best deals? If so, being a year in advance what insurance would you take if you had to cancel. I know a couple of people in the travel industry so I guess best bet would be run through destination and see what the offer?

To get the best deals....will depend on what season you are travelling in and where.
The wife and I always book on line these days as you can do all the research about the area and the motel/hotel you plan on staying in. 15 years ago we would have used an agent but we found we were not happy with some of the accommodation that we were put in.
I would recommend Trip Advisor as well for receiving feedback from travellers.

Where you plan on traveling to?

I've always picked my holiday areas to research then use trip advisor, some of the hotel booking sites and general googling to support, then booked it myself.

I'm skeptical about travel agents in general as they're just another finger in the pie. I have had some friends that have scored some great holidays at a good price for much less effort than working through it all yourself.

I have a travel agent I use sometimes but often they can't book airlines like Jetstar so I have to do those myself.

It really depends on where you are going.

I book a lot myself and wait for specials for flights then find good accomodation using TripAdvisor (though it can be overwhelming).

Most hotels have a guaranteee that booking through them is cheapest rather than using various ebookers. I also check into special offers that credit cards come with , for example American Express holders get free breakfast and room upgrade at Swissotel.

Hysteria - I think first trip would be Bali. -or possibly Fiji, inc some stopovers in Eastern States within the next year.
Second trip would be Greek Islands/Croatia/Murano
Nothing concrete!

I should probably do both or at least one soon. I know when I looked at some destinations through travel agent friend my daughter was classed as adult for some things, child for others.

I have found that the earlier you book the flights the better. We went to Europe this year. I checked the flights in December 2013 for departure in May 2014. I then checked again in February and they had gone up by about $1000.

I booked all our accommodation through Tripadvisor and we were very happy, but many of the best places were booked out and I wished I had got in earlier.

I did quite a bit of research online for the plane trips and thought they would be cheaper online. But, at the end, I dropped into a Flight Centre store and found that they could book me an even cheaper flight ( flying Emirates, so a good airline). I had a fantastic advisor at Flight Centre.

Hysteria - I think first trip would be Bali. -or possibly Fiji, inc some stopovers in Eastern States within the next year.
Nothing concrete!

I should probably do both or at least one soon. I know when I looked at some destinations through travel agent friend my daughter was classed as adult for some things, child for others.

We have found that the age limit is 12yo for practically everything which makes it quite expensive. The exception was trains/ferries/public transport type things. But hotels and airplanes used 12.

For Bali it's pretty easy to book yourself especially if you want to use Air Asia or Jetstar as many travel agents can't do them.

We have found that the age limit is 12yo for practically everything which makes it quite expensive. The exception was trains/ferries/public transport type things. But hotels and airplanes used 12.

For Bali it's pretty easy to book yourself especially if you want to use Air Asia or Jetstar as many travel agents can't do them.

My youngest turned 12 in July. So he's still classed as a child for another 9 months?

I look up the trip online through various providers - eg webjet, skyscanner, etc.

Then i get FlightCentre to match it.

I do the same with hotels.

Then if i can pre-pay most my trip (so that it exceeds $1,000 per person) i can be covered under the travel insurance.

Nothing concrete!

Also maybe sign up to some of the Jetstar/Virgin/Qantas sites as sometimes they have special deals that they email out. We have picked up some cheap flights to Fiji this way.
And if Fiji is a destination get off the mainland and stay at some of the islands.
These can all be booked online as well.

I think some people think that because a place is more remote you require the assistance of a travel agent. Be your own agent!

I always book through a travel agent nowadays ... not only have I found they can usually get the bookings cheaper than online (would never have guessed that one) - but after some major on-line cockups ...

... like ... booking a flight for 3 people via webjet and, assuming that because the request was for 3 people on a particular flight on a particular day, it would put us all on that flight - but nooooo - we somehow ended up on three different flights over two days! Fortunately noticed about 1 week out and scurried around to change everything - cost a fortune.

I always book through a travel agent nowadays ... not only have I found they can usually get the bookings cheaper than online (would never have guessed that one) - but after some major on-line cockups ...

... like ... booking a flight for 3 people via webjet and, assuming that because the request was for 3 people on a particular flight on a particular day, it would put us all on that flight - but nooooo - we somehow ended up on three different flights over two days! Fortunately noticed about 1 week out and scurried around to change everything - cost a fortune.

Yeah, I tend to get anxious and dyslexic when booking flights. Done so many stupid things like intend to book Wednesday night, 5mins past midnight, then realise I actually booked Wednesday morning; attempt to book for three weeks and accidentally click on calendar to make it two weeks.
But I even had qantas book for my family once- he booked kids and adults separately and was taking his time about it, so the tickets sold out on one flight and we had to book two different flights.
I know I'm not the only one. My friend recently went to book a holiday to Bali. She thought it was accommodation and flights but realised after booking it was accommodation only and didn't have the funds to book flights. Some how she got a full refund.
I make my hubby book these things now!
Thanks Hysteria, I will sign up to more email alerts with airlines. We we're suppose to go to Fiji with some friends years ago but we couldn't afford it. They've been a few times, will try to tee something up and get some more ideas off you if that ends up being destination. - better get onto my tax return! :)

Last edited:
I've always picked my holiday areas to research then use trip advisor, some of the hotel booking sites and general googling to support, then booked it myself.

Yep - this is exactly what I do.

We decide where we want to go (normally somewhere warm during Canberra's winter) and then find the flights, accomo, etc via flight/accomo comparison sites.

Normally use skyscanner.net for flights and wotif or bookings.com for accommodation. We narrow down accomo options via tripadvisor reviews (usually).

The last time we used a travel agent we were all split up on the plane and one of the flights we almost couldn't get on because our name had miraculously disappeared off their passenger list.

I also had a travel agent quote $300 the other day for a domestic Vietnamese flight - I went onto the airlines website and booked the same flight for around $30 usd.

Cheers

Jamie

If the minutae stress you out then yes a travel agent is for you.

That is why I do a combo of self booking and travel agent. Some places I can do myself but if there is transfers, changing flights, meeting a ferry etc then I often get my travel agent to do it.

I usually book online and use Agoda for hotel bookings. I like the "pay later" option Agoda has just brought in. You now dont have to pay until the day before you get there.

Im a big fan of flexibility. Pay an extra couple of hundred $ each flight for a fully flex fare. That way any changes are free (or $50).
I have missed too many flights due to reasons outside my control (and many within my control) to risk not paying for the flexibily. Miss one flight and you have fully recovered the additional cost.

But then, I miss planes like most people miss busses (i.e regularly).

Blacky

I use a combination of travel agent and online depending on the trip.

I will usually check out flight costs online then visit a travel agent to see what they can do for me. Sometimes cheaper via the agent, sometimes not.

Most accommodation I book using booking.com - love it. I've used it a lot and never had an issue. I've had some great deals.

We've done a few package tours and in those cases I've booked everything through an agent because if the flights and tours are booked together they can change the flights if the tour is changed at the last minute.

Hi Investor

I use a variety of online sites and always research hotels and area's before booking anything.
We recently came back from a 6 week trip including week stays in Hong Kong each direction and UK and Paris. As we had multi flights we decided to give Expedia a go and found them very good for both flights and accommodation which can be booked together or separately. They also do car hire etc. too. They do the best of both worlds online and travel agent as they are an online travel agent that also price matches any other quote you may have elsewhere. We found them great to use and have just booked with them again for a trip to Penang in February. Well worth you having a look at.
As regards airlines and children when ours were younger we found Brunei airways to be great in this regard as they class a child up to the age of 17/18 I am not certain if that is still the case but worth your while checking out.

If you feel more comfortable speaking to someone you can call up and book over the phone with Expedia plus there are no booking charges. Or you can do all your research online know your where when who you want to fly with what times dates etc. and what hotel and take it all to your local travel agent to actually place the booking for you.

best of luck with it all

Its similar to property investing I guess... you can pay someone to tell you how to invest, or you can do a lot of your own research and decide on strategy :)

I love traveling and visiting new places and I spend a lot of time on research, reading feedback and then comparing prices.... I dont like using travel agents, what works for some families, might not work for others and thats why I like to make my own decisions about everything.... Flights for example, where to stop, for how long, if we stay day there or 2 at no extra cost and avoid long waiting hours at airport, do you book hotel which is reasonable priced close to trains or buses or close to main attractions you are planning to see and etc etc
And I dont like overpaying anything

Research gives you good knowledge about place you are going to visit and gives you very good ideas what you wana see there, whats important and whats not... more bookings you do, better you become as you learn every time what would you change and what works best

I like to use tourist guides in big cities and I found in Europe a lot of english students do guides for free (you pay like a donation at the end) and those groups are great, they make day so full of things to see and knowledge to take home, while interesting for kids as well as for adults....

Enjoy your travel experience!

Back