How do you start your research?

Hi all

Interested to hear about different research methods you use when starting to research where you'll buy your next purchase/s. Tools, tips and tricks, standard methods you employ over and over again - secrets of the canny investor.

Cheers
Pins

I am a newbie. But this is what I do.

Our target areas are only a few suburbs. We follow what is going on in those suburbs by bookmarking searches at realestate.com.au. And go to home opens to know what is out there. And subscribe to magazines to get free price finder or RPdata access. And then search, search and search them! Gradually we get to know the market.

Once interested in a property, walk around to see whether the neighbourhood is fine. Check with water corp whether deep sewage is connected. And then make an offer.

It is good to know an area well because when there is a bargain, you can move fast.

I do pretty much what Singo has mentioned but less time on the ground only because time doesn't permit. I also do a fair amount of research about infrastructure planning and development to help choose areas that will benefit from those upgrades.

Nothing beats RPData though to give you sales prices to use to work out values. No point using list prices as a guide, they just show you prices places haven't been able to sell for yet.

No they are web-based commercial databases. Commercial as-in pay to view. Valuers and real estate agents subscribe to them (amongst others). The data in the back of the magazines could possibly originate from one of these services.

I think he means when you subscribe to magazines like API you get a free 3 monthly subscription to Price Finder, other magazines have similar arrangements.

If you're a first time investor, have JUST started out, and you want to be seriously successful it's best to:

1. Read, read, read...
  • Use the internet first, there's so much that you can get online for free that it's the best place to start.
  • Buy proper property investment books... and look for credible, established sources like the "for dummies" series. Be wary of sensationalised property spruiker books.
  • Subscribe to as many online news letters and magazines as you have time to read... API, SPI, & YIP are the most established.

2. Watch, Listen, Learn...
  • Youtube "property investing"
  • Subscribe to real estate agents "market update videos"
  • Watch TV shows about finding and buying homes
  • Subscribe to property investing podcasts and associated radio shows

3. Talk to people that are better at investing than you...
  • Talk to real estate agents about what they think are good investments
  • Call buyer's agents and ask them what they think are good options for investments
  • Network with established Somersoft investors, call them, meet them.
  • Go to networking groups in your area for like minded people
  • Go to seminars and workshops (just don't pay $1,000's for them!!)
  • Get out to auctions and open inspections, network with buyers and agents

4. Pay for services... Be careful here; there are a lot of dodgy operators BUT...
  • Enlist for a Buyer's Advocate
  • Get your Real Estate Agent's Certificate/Licence
  • Study Financial Advisory, Economics, Valuation, and/or other related fields

5. Once you've spent enough time gathering information you'll see that multiple sources will repeat the same information, these bits are the most fundamental.

Once you've established the basic fundamentals, you'll be able to set down your goals and then break them down into tasks. Once you've done this you can buy/borrow the critical tools needed to be a successful investor. Once you've a goal, a plan and the tools you should then be able research property and then get out there and execute!

If you've been active and have done the above, you'll know what research tricks and tactics to use to meet your goals... Every investor is different; there isn't one model for success; the crux of it all is getting active, educating yourself and discovering your own path... Which it looks like you're already doing, congrats!!!

what are these magazines?

Currently API (apimagazine.com.au) gives 3 months complimentary access to price finder database if you subscribe. In the past they have given RPdata access as well. Subscribing directly to these databases is quite costly (for newbies)

And Jake has given a lot of info above. That is quite useful.

If you're a first time investor, have JUST started out, and you want to be seriously successful it's best to:

1. Read, read, read...
  • Use the internet first, there's so much that you can get online for free that it's the best place to start.
  • Buy proper property investment books... and look for credible, established sources like the "for dummies" series. Be wary of sensationalised property spruiker books.
  • Subscribe to as many online news letters and magazines as you have time to read... API, SPI, & YIP are the most established.

2. Watch, Listen, Learn...
  • Youtube "property investing"
  • Subscribe to real estate agents "market update videos"
  • Watch TV shows about finding and buying homes
  • Subscribe to property investing podcasts and associated radio shows

3. Talk to people that are better at investing than you...
  • Talk to real estate agents about what they think are good investments
  • Call buyer's agents and ask them what they think are good options for investments
  • Network with established Somersoft investors, call them, meet them.
  • Go to networking groups in your area for like minded people
  • Go to seminars and workshops (just don't pay $1,000's for them!!)
  • Get out to auctions and open inspections, network with buyers and agents

4. Pay for services... Be careful here; there are a lot of dodgy operators BUT...
  • Enlist for a Buyer's Advocate
  • Get your Real Estate Agent's Certificate/Licence
  • Study Financial Advisory, Economics, Valuation, and/or other related fields

5. Once you've spent enough time gathering information you'll see that multiple sources will repeat the same information, these bits are the most fundamental.

Once you've established the basic fundamentals, you'll be able to set down your goals and then break them down into tasks. Once you've done this you can buy/borrow the critical tools needed to be a successful investor. Once you've a goal, a plan and the tools you should then be able research property and then get out there and execute!

If you've been active and have done the above, you'll know what research tricks and tactics to use to meet your goals... Every investor is different; there isn't one model for success; the crux of it all is getting active, educating yourself and discovering your own path... Which it looks like you're already doing, congrats!!!

Well said Jake!!

When buying a proptery that I'm not going to personally inspect I like to get a property manager from another company (to the selling agent) to give me a rental appraisal. They normally let me know of any faults with the property in question.

Back