How hard is owning a share house?

Because the scenario is exactly as you said.

Woman in the article buys a house to be her retirement nest egg. Something happens to it (it gets bulldozed and burnt to the ground). Insurance company refuses to pay. She's lost everything.

Only in this case, she probably did nothing wrong.

Seems a bit strange, this woman is claiming she is losing $1400 month in rental income...when it appears no one must have been living in it?

Could one report the shonky operators?

If the authorities wouldn't listen, the media? (Today Tonight and other 'foot in the door' gutter journalists?).

Could one report the shonky operators?

If the authorities wouldn't listen, the media? (Today Tonight and other 'foot in the door' gutter journalists?).

What's there to report? People choose to live in these conditions. I am not saying it's right but in any transaction there is a willing buyer and a willing seller.

What's there to report? People choose to live in these conditions. I am not saying it's right but in any transaction there is a willing buyer and a willing seller.

There are rules and regulations required for these types of houses, and when Y-man said he was undercut by shonky operators I assume they are operators than do not meet the rules and regulations.

That's what to report.

There are rules and regulations required for these types of houses, and when Y-man said he was undercut by shonky operators I assume they are operators than do not meet the rules and regulations.

That's what to report.

Consumer Affairs had a "Dob a shonky Rooming House" fo while - but didn't have the resources to follow up the reports etc I think.

Now they just refer to VCAT as per normal tenancy complaints.

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/hous...and-notices/breach-of-rental-responsibilities

Unfortunately, anyone staying in an ultra-cheap dodgey joint with 10 people sleeping in shifts per bedroom is unlikely to report the owner, as they would have to pay more for a compliant place. :(

The Y-man

That too, but also those not lodging bonds, advertising low rent then charging for utlities (without a separate meter) etc

The Y-man

Just to add, here is the Victorian guide for Rooming houses

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/hous...d-notices/landlord-and-owner-responsibilities

Typical non-compliance I see (other than buidling codes, fire safety etc)

Maximum bond allowed to be collected: 14 days rent. Must be lodged with the RTBA within 10 days

Maximum rent in advance payable: 14 days

Receipts must be issued

Utilities can only be charged if the tenant has exclusive use of a room and the room is spearately metered

Notice required to be given by tenant if they want to leave: 2 days

The Y-man

If anyone was interested I've attached the plan and the price is around $550-580k. But as mentioned, I don't think I will be able to go through with it anymore.

Actually a good floor plan for a shared house - I'd convert bed 5 into another bathroom and the lounge into another bed so that it was 2 bed to 1 bath ratio.

If anyone was interested I've attached the plan and the price is around $550-580k. But as mentioned, I don't think I will be able to go through with it anymore.

That lounge is an extra bedroom.

Students don't need so much common areas, they sit in their rooms on facebook most of the time.

I have five students in my place, had it since 2003 I think. Going great, biggest drama to date was repainting one wall after a dummy used sticky tape on it - told them all not to. Kept $50 from her bond and she was kinda cross but I suggested she get further quotes or paint it herself .....

Actually a good floor plan for a shared house - I'd convert bed 5 into another bathroom and the lounge into another bed so that it was 2 bed to 1 bath ratio.

Nah, 5 bedrooms: 1 bathroom works fine. These are teenage students, they don't expect more than that.

Back